X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the Development Academy in MA is a SCAM

It's the top league!

If you want to play against the TOP competition you must play DA!!

If you want your kid to play D1 soccer he has to play DA!!!

All the college coaches scout DA!!!!

High school soccer ruins development!!!!!

NPL is terrible soccer!!!!!!

What a complete load of crap.

Take a look at the 2018 Boys Soccer Verbal Commitments thread:

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showth...150790&page=64

There are 48 kids committed to D1(5 on the Revs aren't listed there but I added them in for full disclosure).

There are 10 from the Bolts DA, 8 from the Revs and 2 from Seacoast.

The Development Academy accounts for 20 total Massachusetts kids going D1, which is roughly 42%

Roughly 70% of those DA kids are headed to college in New England.

There are 116 total kids listed in the commits thread.

That means 83% of the kids headed to play college soccer didn't play DA.

Why do DA kids need to travel to NJ for a game, or Florida for a tournament, or California for the playoffs? They're all basically going to school locally.

Why play DA at all?

Why give up high school soccer when the vast majority of players in MA that go on to play college soccer ALSO play high school soccer?

Don't accept playing less than 50% of the games to say you play DA. No one, including college coaches, seem to care.

Find the best team you can that is close to home. Stop driving all over the place. The numbers don't lie. You don't need DA to play college soccer.

There isn't enough money in men's soccer to make all the DA crap worth anyone's time.

If you pay for DA you are nuts. If you play for free you're just misguided.

Save time, money and mileage and move on from DA.

So 3 squads, not all of whom are graduating, send 20 to D1. You don't say anything about private high schools which is a big chunk of the remaining D1 commits and really should be counted separately from public high schools. Everyone knows that privates have decent soccer programs. Your screed is missing half of the relevant data and you are comparing raw numbers, not per capita. It is hardly informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So 3 squads, not all of whom are graduating, send 20 to D1. You don't say anything about private high schools which is a big chunk of the remaining D1 commits and really should be counted separately from public high schools. Everyone knows that privates have decent soccer programs. Your screed is missing half of the relevant data and you are comparing raw numbers, not per capita. It is hardly informative.
      The kids going private also play for clubs, just not DA. They're not developing at privates, they're getting paid to play for privates...

Comment

Go get him coach. Mark your territory.

Comment

Here's some information : those prep school kids are landing just as well as if not better than DA kids and they're getting a great education too. Many don't pay for that education or pay well below list price. That will serve them more in the long run than playing DA.

Comment

Agree with the above poster. What % of players graduating from DA squads this spring are going to play D1? Compare with the percentage of graduating ECNL players, NPL players, ISL players, public high school players, etc., whatever group or league you want, who are going to play D1, and then you'll have a real comparison.

An even better indicator as to which league has the strongest players would be to track who actually plays next year, vs sitting on the bench. It's pretty obvious from the commits list that you don't have to play DA to get onto a D1 team, but the odds of this happening (and getting playing time on top of it) favor players coming out of the DA system.

Comment

It's nice to know that a player doesn't have to give up high school soccer to play in college.

Comment

It's nice to know that a player doesn't have to give up high school soccer to play in college.
                Some colleges are no better than high school soccer

Comment

Anyone posting on here which league is better, not better, not good, is not your friend. They do not care about you, and they certainly are not trying to help you. It's self-interest. They don't know your family, your kid, situation, financial status, or any of the components that go into making a decision.

Comment

It's the top league!

If you want to play against the TOP competition you must play DA!!

If you want your kid to play D1 soccer he has to play DA!!!

All the college coaches scout DA!!!!

blah, blah, blah

[/B]
                    After reading above I can see that you are angry.
                    Despite your analysis of the data, some people will still make different choices for their own reasons. DA doesn't undermine your kid's soccer status. #TSHUG

Comment

After reading above I can see that you are angry.
                      Despite your analysis of the data, some people will still make different choices for their own reasons. DA doesn't undermine your kid's soccer status. #TSHUG
                      After reading above I can see that you are a sheep.

#baaaaaaa

Comment

High school soccer works.

http://www.nesoccerjournal.com/nesoc...ticleId1338919

Comment

After reading above I can see that you are a sheep.

#baaaaaaa
                          My D doesn't play DA. She played HS this fall, like your child, and she likes other sports too.
                          One of her town friends does play DA, and a former teammate left to go play DA. For both those girls/families, it feels like the right choice. I hope it works out for them, just as I hope things work out for my D. We all choose a different path. The only people who trash other's choices are those that aren't comfortable with theirs. #TSHugx2 #FindPeace

Comment

My D doesn't play DA. She played HS this fall, like your child, and she likes other sports too.
                            One of her town friends does play DA, and a former teammate left to go play DA. For both those girls/families, it feels like the right choice. I hope it works out for them, just as I hope things work out for my D. We all choose a different path. The only people who trash other's choices are those that aren't comfortable with theirs. #TSHugx2 #FindPeace
                            #cute

Comment

Anyone posting on here which league is better, not better, not good, is not your friend. They do not care about you, and they certainly are not trying to help you. It's self-interest. They don't know your family, your kid, situation, financial status, or any of the components that go into making a decision.
                              Informed consumers make better decisions for themselves. Besides, OP is mostly right that you don't HAVE to do DA. I say mostly because if you want (and are skilled enough, have the drive and get plenty of PT)) for Top D1 you really have to do DA. After that it becomes much less necessary. It's a matter of math and not that hard to figure out. If DA graduates say 12 players per team per year (on average) that's just under 1000 players; 1200 if you assume 15 players/team. There's about 30,000 men's college roster spots out there (D1+D2+D3+NAIA). Yes foreign players take some of those spots but nothing close to filling college needs. For D1 there's only about 6,000 spots so that's where DA can make or break you but again more at the top than the bottom. Determine what your goals and skills are, find a club with good coaching that fits those goals and skills and gives you good coach exposure and recruiting advice. Don't get so caught up with the badge.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X