Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still recruiting topic but slightly different question:

Is there any source of data that shows how many Girls soccer scholarships are actually funded by a specific school? Division I schools can have up to 14 scholarships and D II can have 9.9 but do smaller D1 schools still fund 14 scholarships? I ssume they do not but cannot find any actual school specific data.

Can anybody cite a source or does this not really exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Is there any source of data that shows how many Girls soccer scholarships are actually funded by a specific school? Division I schools can have up to 14 scholarships and D II can have 9.9 but do smaller D1 schools still fund 14 scholarships? I ssume they do not but cannot find any actual school specific data.

D1 and 2 can both offer 9.9 scholarships. Public schools might have the information available about how many are actually funded, but I doubt private schools would have that sort of information published publically. It's difficult to generalize and say yes most schools are fully funded or no most are not.

I don't think it really matters too much. If a coach is interested they'll find money for you. If they can't, most of the time they will communicate that.

Comment

Need to factor in Titlr IX. Look for schools that have a football team.

Comment

Need to factor in Titlr IX. Look for schools that have a football team.
          Football is key. Without that chances are there will be much less

Comment

This site has most school-specific info I have seen, but not the info on # funded. Avg can be very misleading as most could be a $0 and 6 at full
            http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Comment

That site has been discussed here many times. Basically the data is flawed.

Comment

This site has most school-specific info I have seen, but not the info on # funded. Avg can be very misleading as most could be a $0 and 6 at full
                http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
                Problem with that data is the average is across ALL athletes and isn't sport specific.

Comment

"D1 wasn't in the cards" meme.[/QUOTE]

I was advised to look at D3 programs when my daughter was starting the process. This advice was NOT from our soccer club who would have preferred to put a strong D1 school on their commit list.

Here are some reasons D3 might be a goal from the beginning:
                  - Did not want to be tied to a sport year-round. Summer/spring break is now almost mandatory for D1 programs
                  - Likely to get merit money not linked to playing soccer (or no need for financial aid)
                  - Interest in playing another sport
                  - Interest in travel abroad
                  - Interest in internships
                  - Ability to enroll in any academic option - special programs (accelerated 3/2, unique/selective majors, etc. are not always feasible for D1 athletes - definitely true at some of the D1 schools she did consider - she would have to take summer classes or flat out not able to take part due to travel commitments)
                  - Grades to get into elite academic programs
                  - Desire to be an impact player from day 1
                  - No interest in bulking up/weights all year (although top D3 programs push that as well)
                  - Minimal fear of a NT freshman superstar taking your spot

My daughter did waiver at times when interest was expressed from strong D1 soccer/academic schools. And she does miss the caliber of play of her club team. However, the idea that D3 is for only for those who "couldn't make it" is not true. Her club team had a couple top players opt for D3. D1 is a great option to 1) help pay for school 2) get kids into a better school than they would without soccer 3) play quality soccer (although quality falls off dramatically as you go to lower ranked programs) AND D3 (or club) is clearly option for those who do not make the D1 cut. But please stop bashing choices people make.

Since this threat is about recruiting. Aside from top 20 programs which I do not know about - I have seen D1 coaches at strong programs find a way to pick up a player well past the supposed cut-off. SOCCER money will likely be gone but there are some late bloomers and coaches will snap them up - if they are quality. And there are also a lot of mid/low tier D1 programs that pick up players late Junior year or even senior year.

Why the nonsense of premier soccer just to go D3? We did it because lower quality teams were frustrating for my daughter and we could afford it. But at top D3 programs, it is becoming more challenging to get playing time without ECNL/DA level play.

Comment

Your kid didn’t have the heart for it. You made a good choice because she would have never survived the D1 grind with her mindset.

Comment

Your kid didn’t have the heart for it. You made a good choice because she would have never survived the D1 grind with her mindset.
                      Stop with the D1 athletes are holier than thou bullsh*t. Many D1 athletes don't survive either - there's a very high dropout rate.

Comment

From other thread. In season D3 athletes have a similar lifestyle. Soccer players aren't big men on campus like football, basketball players are

Comment

Stop with the D1 athletes are holier than thou bullsh*t. Many D1 athletes don't survive either - there's a very high dropout rate.
                          Nothing holier than though about it. At D1 they really have no option but to do the work. If they don’t the coach will find a way to get rid of them. Pretty black and white actually. Yes there is a fairly high drop out rate but usually that has more to do with the kids scholarship package and them coming to a conclusion that it’s not worth it for them. You hardly ever see kids hang up their cleats if they are having success unless there are injuries.

Comment

From other thread. In season D3 athletes have a similar lifestyle. Soccer players aren't big men on campus like football, basketball players are
                            The big differences are the length of the season and the travel distances.

Comment

Problem with that data is the average is across ALL athletes and isn't sport specific.
                              Ahh, right. it is displayed in way that feels sport specific, but what is really says is avg of those "with soccer" . thanks for clarifying

Comment

"D1 wasn't in the cards" meme.
                                I was advised to look at D3 programs when my daughter was starting the process. This advice was NOT from our soccer club who would have preferred to put a strong D1 school on their commit list.

Here are some reasons D3 might be a goal from the beginning:
                                - Did not want to be tied to a sport year-round. Summer/spring break is now almost mandatory for D1 programs
                                - Likely to get merit money not linked to playing soccer (or no need for financial aid)
                                - Interest in playing another sport
                                - Interest in travel abroad
                                - Interest in internships
                                - Ability to enroll in any academic option - special programs (accelerated 3/2, unique/selective majors, etc. are not always feasible for D1 athletes - definitely true at some of the D1 schools she did consider - she would have to take summer classes or flat out not able to take part due to travel commitments)
                                - Grades to get into elite academic programs
                                - Desire to be an impact player from day 1
                                - No interest in bulking up/weights all year (although top D3 programs push that as well)
                                - Minimal fear of a NT freshman superstar taking your spot

My daughter did waiver at times when interest was expressed from strong D1 soccer/academic schools. And she does miss the caliber of play of her club team. However, the idea that D3 is for only for those who "couldn't make it" is not true. Her club team had a couple top players opt for D3. D1 is a great option to 1) help pay for school 2) get kids into a better school than they would without soccer 3) play quality soccer (although quality falls off dramatically as you go to lower ranked programs) AND D3 (or club) is clearly option for those who do not make the D1 cut. But please stop bashing choices people make.

Since this threat is about recruiting. Aside from top 20 programs which I do not know about - I have seen D1 coaches at strong programs find a way to pick up a player well past the supposed cut-off. SOCCER money will likely be gone but there are some late bloomers and coaches will snap them up - if they are quality. And there are also a lot of mid/low tier D1 programs that pick up players late Junior year or even senior year.

Why the nonsense of premier soccer just to go D3? We did it because lower quality teams were frustrating for my daughter and we could afford it. But at top D3 programs, it is becoming more challenging to get playing time without ECNL/DA level play.[/QUOTE]

So basically this boils down to the kid not having the desire to do the work and the parents having the financial wherewithal to pamper her. The poster can disguise it however they want but the reality is they probably had minimal options simply because their kid didn't do the work to create better options for herself. Don't know why they feel the need to defend their choices like this. It's fairly common these days. What I have witnessed over the years has been that kids like that don't just switch gears once they get to college and that their work rates usually drops coming out of middle school to accommodate all of their external interests so they don't actually develop to the potential they once might have had. That doesn't stop the parents from putting them on ECNL/DA teams but if the kid isn't invested in doing the work it doesn't make any difference in the end result. If they struggle once in college that's really the proof that they needed to work harder.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X