Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And where will you find this endless supply of available teachers?
    There are none. Not many subs out there either.

Comment

I may be naive...but how are teachers working 70 hour weeks? School starts at 7:30 and ends at 2:30. Maybe they leave at 3:30...that's an 8 hour day. 40 hours per week.

Then they have every holiday off (that most private businesses do not get off).

They also get their summers off.

The thing that bothers me the most is that teachers have the summer off but my kids get days off for the teachers to be trained during the school year. Why wouldn't they get trained during the summer or vacation periods? Because of the teachers union!
      You need to live with a teacher to know how much they actually work. At least the good ones.

Comment

I may be naive...but how are teachers working 70 hour weeks? School starts at 7:30 and ends at 2:30. Maybe they leave at 3:30...that's an 8 hour day. 40 hours per week.

The thing that bothers me the most is that teachers have the summer off but my kids get days off for the teachers to be trained during the school year. Why wouldn't they get trained during the summer or vacation periods? Because of the teachers union!
        I was just thinking the other day....good thing the Cops/first responders didn't not want to do their jobs because of the virus.....Good thing the Postmen and Amazon delivery guys didn't not want to do their job because of Covid....Good thing all the warehouse workers and supply chains who keep our country stocked with essentials didn't not want to do their jobs because of Covid....OH BUT THE TEACHERS are so AT RISK with all of the children (who statistically speaking don't even get the freaking virus) it would be completely unreasonable to expect them to put themselves in harms way......Yeah, tell that to the Drs and Nurses who stared down the throat of Covid every day because they knew it was their job!! Teachers are a bunch of whiners who know they'll get paid anyway, never mind the commitment you made to society just like all these other avocations.

Comment

Who are willing to earn masters degrees and pass state testing and work 70 hour weeks the first few years for $40,000. They can waitress all summer to pay back grad school loans and get judged by people like the op. Oh, and be told by half the state that if they don’t go back to school and put their own life or families lives at risk, they are in teaching for the wrong reasons. Sounds great. Sign me up!
          You forgot to add constantly spending their own money on classroom supplies and often buying coats, boots, gloves, hats etc for kids that can’t afford them. My mom taught grades 1 and 2 for 42 years in a large public school district. I remember going with her to buy her supplies before every school year when I was a kid. I promise you, no one gets into teaching to get rich or get their summers off. The overwhelming majority of teachers want to be in the classroom teaching their students this fall.

Comment

There are none. Not many subs out there either.
            Really? I don’t see a bunch of unfilled positions in our public schools. I also see thousands of young adults getting education, History, art, science and masters degrees to teach. I understand its a hard job but don’t tell me there aren’t qualified people willing to do it. Your fairy tale that only a few are qualified or want the position is fantasy. And subs.... do you know how much they make to babysit for 8 hours? Don’t compare that to teaching

Comment

You forgot to add constantly spending their own money on classroom supplies and often buying coats, boots, gloves, hats etc for kids that can’t afford them. My mom taught grades 1 and 2 for 42 years in a large public school district. I remember going with her to buy her supplies before every school year when I was a kid. I promise you, no one gets into teaching to get rich or get their summers off. The overwhelming majority of teachers want to be in the classroom teaching their students this fall.
              You mom sounds like a rare find. Sorry but my high school kid had classes this spring in which he never heard his from his teacher. Plenty of other classes of just worksheets. School administration somehow thinks that’s ok? Just flat out lazy! Classes with no instruction. Zoom meetings just to checking in.

Comment

You need to live with a teacher to know how much they actually work. At least the good ones.
                Absolutely. They have multiple meetings at school after class ends many days a week, then they go home and grade, papers, answer parent emails etc. In MS and HS some coach or run after school activities for a few pennies stipend.

- two teacher siblings

Comment

You mom sounds like a rare find. Sorry but my high school kid had classes this spring in which he never heard his from his teacher. Plenty of other classes of just worksheets. School administration somehow thinks that’s ok? Just flat out lazy! Classes with no instruction. Zoom meetings just to checking in.
                  Not the poster but this spring was unprecedented. I will give a partial pass, especially the first few weeks.

Fingers crossed everything is in person on this fall, but districts and teachers learned a lot to make things better if online happens again

Comment

Not my kids- they had plenty of work, not all ideal but pretty good all things considering. A friend who teaches at our HS said plenty of students didn't put any effort in at all. Then of course the parent moaned about the low grades.

Comment

This may be the new normal.Do we keep kids out of schools for years or hire new teachers that are healthy and want to work.

Comment

Yes!! No work, no pay.. move along teachers if you are not on board.. Easily replaced..

Comment

https://btu.org/wp-content/uploads/2...0-jc-edits.pdf

There sure are a lot of requests....

Comment

Ha Ha, you really know nothing about teachers do you? Teachers' days don't end at 2:30 - even the ones that are simply mailing it in. The good teachers are putting in long days and evenings, and many then have to scramble during the summer to boost their income.

Comment

Boo hoo I get every holiday,snow day,teacher meeting day and the entire summer off .Cry me a river.

Comment

Yes!! No work, no pay.. move along teachers if you are not on board.. Easily replaced..
                                Yes
                                Break up their unions as well.
                                Teachers unions have become a PAC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X