Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why couldn't HS kids be online and still play soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Okay we need to seriously discuss this topic. Because IF our kids are stuck on ZOOM meetings and Google classroom all fall they need sports more than ever for physical health and social outdoors where it is safe.
    This is for all ages. The last thing that should be taken away is the kids sports.
    I think as long as numbers stay low there will be school. But if it's a hybrid approach, as many are discussing, (like half in half the week, the other half the other portion) then how do you make that work with half the kids at home each day?

Club sports could possibly (probably) run but I think HS sports are not likely.

Comment

I talked to my high school senior about her thoughts on this. The feeling is that many varsity kids drive or can walk to school or even take a bus if needed for practice or to get to the school to get to a game. They think they and their parents can figure it out. JV might be another issue and they might have to have training sessions only on the days they go but I do think if the juniors and seniors on Varsity can be creative enough over the summer to get to their jobs, beach and see friends they and their parents can help each other get to games and practices. The school doesn't have to figure it all out.

Comment

I talked to my high school senior about her thoughts on this. The feeling is that many varsity kids drive or can walk to school or even take a bus if needed for practice or to get to the school to get to a game. They think they and their parents can figure it out. JV might be another issue and they might have to have training sessions only on the days they go but I do think if the juniors and seniors on Varsity can be creative enough over the summer to get to their jobs, beach and see friends they and their parents can help each other get to games and practices. The school doesn't have to figure it all out.
        Yeah, but public HS coaches and admins are dealing with:

1) if traveling to a game, they prefer you do it on the school bus for logistics and liability. They don’t want players showing up late or getting hurt on the way in their own cars. Once the game is over, that’s a different story.

2) Equity issues for kids from poorer backgrounds if they don’t have transportation.

3) if you are supplying these buses and need to distance on the bus, your transportation costs are now doubled. We are hearing only one player per row on the bus so instead of one bus, you would need two. Nobody has $ in their budgets for this.

Comment

Yeah, but public HS coaches and admins are dealing with:

1) if traveling to a game, they prefer you do it on the school bus for logistics and liability. They don’t want players showing up late or getting hurt on the way in their own cars. Once the game is over, that’s a different story.

2) Equity issues for kids from poorer backgrounds if they don’t have transportation.

3) if you are supplying these buses and need to distance on the bus, your transportation costs are now doubled. We are hearing only one player per row on the bus so instead of one bus, you would need two. Nobody has $ in their budgets for this.
          Our district won't let students drive others to games - way too much liability risk. If a student is driving themselves, the parents have to submit a form ahead of time for each game.

Also - if school is in session, your bus issue is only quadrupled because the first priority is students who need transportation home. Athletic events won't be a priority. It's not like there's millions of extra buses across America in mothballs.

Comment

Our district won't let students drive others to games - way too much liability risk. If a student is driving themselves, the parents have to submit a form ahead of time for each game.

Also - if school is in session, your bus issue is only quadrupled because the first priority is students who need transportation home. Athletic events won't be a priority. It's not like there's millions of extra buses across America in mothballs.
            I don't think it's too hard to sign a form before each game.

If transportation to games is a big deal then why doesn't the MIAA (or NCAA) do something about it? I find it ridiculous that people are quick to cancel things due to a logistics issue.

Spending a couple days reworking schedules so that games are still fair but driving distances are <35 minutes does not seem like too big a deal to me.

Comment

If transportation to games is a big deal then why doesn't the MIAA (or NCAA) do something about it? I find it ridiculous that people are quick to cancel things due to a logistics issue.

Spending a couple days reworking schedules so that games are still fair but driving distances are <35 minutes does not seem like too big a deal to me.
              It's all about liability. A student driving another student has a fatal accident on the way to a game? Instant lawsuit against the deep pocketed school district. Kids can drive themselves, not others, and not all students have cars or even a license.

There aren't going to be enough buses for students, let alone for sports.

Comment

Remember the Covid toilet paper crisis? It was a logistics issue. There was plenty of commercial toilet paper, but no way to get it into consumer hands. Seems like a simple fix, right? It isn't, and neither is socially distant bus routing.

Comment

Remember the Covid toilet paper crisis? It was a logistics issue. There was plenty of commercial toilet paper, but no way to get it into consumer hands. Seems like a simple fix, right? It isn't, and neither is socially distant bus routing.
                  Nobody ran out of toilet paper.

Tough to compare getting 20 kids to a soccer game that's 30 minutes away to a nationwide toilet paper shortage that didn't happen.

Kids drive with a parent or by themselves. Period. If more than one player shows up in a car then neither player can play in the game.

If we are concerned about car accidents and litigious parents then maybe that kid should stay home. My kid has a car and will abide by the rules and drive himself and we will sign a waiver for personal travel.

Stop trying to say that everything is more difficult than it is. It's a freaking soccer game not the underground railroad.

Comment

Schools are saying no more than 10-12 kids on a bus. For just my middle school kids' bus route that's now two buses, not just one. Multiple that times multiple kids per family per school per district. Other bus rentals (non school bus) are more expensive and not in any school's budget right now.

Comment

Tough to compare getting 20 kids to a soccer game that's 30 minutes away to a nationwide toilet paper shortage that didn't happen.

Kids drive with a parent or by themselves. Period. If more than one player shows up in a car then neither player can play in the game.

If we are concerned about car accidents and litigious parents then maybe that kid should stay home. My kid has a car and will abide by the rules and drive himself and we will sign a waiver for personal travel.

Stop trying to say that everything is more difficult than it is. It's a freaking soccer game not the underground railroad.
                      Not up to us - schools have to have insurance. The insurance company sets the rules.

Comment

Parents work (and would like to keep their jobs now more than ever).
                        Not all kids are even old enough to drive.
                        Not all students have cars.
                        ^ is correct - schools have to do what their insurance carriers dictate

Comment

Did this doofus just deny that toilet paper shelves were completely empty for months.

Comment

Months may be an exaggeration and not every store was empty.

Comment

Did this doofus just deny that toilet paper shelves were completely empty for months.
                              Did you actually run out of toilet paper? We didn't and I don't know anyone that actually did. Yes, there were days when it wasn't available but the great toilet paper crisis was overblown.

Comment

Did you actually run out of toilet paper? We didn't and I don't know anyone that actually did. Yes, there were days when it wasn't available but the great toilet paper crisis was overblown.
                                Did shoppers have to go to 5 stores to find one of the most basic of staples? Yes. Are stores still only partly reshelved with toilet paper or paper towels? Yes?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X