Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why couldn't HS kids be online and still play soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Mouth breathing dads are the worst. At least they aren't beating their wives while they post on TS.
    Keep responding to your own posts. You are a joke.

Comment

Kid’s a great competitor and she’s doing just fine. She’s also getting a good education on sacrifice for the greater good, managing her personal health and safety, and how to mportant and prioritize time and activities accordingly.
      Manage her health and safety by pushing an agenda to canceling all sports? Why not just keep her home and let everyone else do what they want. You don't make any sense.

Instead you are spending hours posting threads, providing ignorant comments and replying to your own posts.

Comment

It's called Mr. Liability

Also the message of "We can't have school but sports are ok?" It's not even under consideration. What's the cutoff? Why can't band students practice? Debate team? If you think parents of non athletes won't complain about there being sports then you don't know parents very well.

Comment

Also the message of "We can't have school but sports are ok?" It's not even under consideration. What's the cutoff? Why can't band students practice? Debate team? If you think parents of non athletes won't complain about there being sports then you don't know parents very well.
          They will complain, and rightly so, because all of those things should happen.

Comment

They will complain, and rightly so, because all of those things should happen.
            Not if schools aren't open. Absolutely no way it can be justified to families or the general public. Maybe privately run kids activities will be allowed with infection controls and limitations (like no out of state competition) but no school = total school shutdowns

Comment

Ridiculous statement. Why can't the band practice outdoors as long as they follow CDC guidelines? Why couldn't they practice in the gymnasium if they limit the number of band members? Why can't the debate team debate online or in-person as long as they are wearing masks and distancing? You just want everything cancelled so that when you and your daughter are hiding in your basement until Covid goes away that she isn't missing anything. You want everyone to miss everything so she isn't the only one. You must be an unbearable helicopter parent.

Comment

With all the issues to be addressed for a return to school, sports is an easy one to just take off the table so that time and energy can be spent on more critical areas.
                If they're so worried about the social and emotional aspects of kids not being in schools, sports fill a big gap.

Far more than trying to hear what the teacher is saying through the mask, and being in a classroom with kids all in masks who can't use the playground.

Comment

If they're so worried about the social and emotional aspects of kids not being in schools, sports fill a big gap.

Far more than trying to hear what the teacher is saying through the mask, and being in a classroom with kids all in masks who can't use the playground.
                  I'm in no way not advocating for reopening, but sports only fill a gap for a select few students. 80% of students don't participate in a sport...so how are they fulfilling their social and emotional aspects?

Comment

Ridiculous statement. Why can't the band practice outdoors as long as they follow CDC guidelines? Why couldn't they practice in the gymnasium if they limit the number of band members? Why can't the debate team debate online or in-person as long as they are wearing masks and distancing? You just want everything cancelled so that when you and your daughter are hiding in your basement until Covid goes away that she isn't missing anything. You want everyone to miss everything so she isn't the only one. You must be an unbearable helicopter parent.
                    Well, the piano players and drummers could practice outdoors. The wood and brass players, who spend the whole time spewing droplets, not so much.

Anyway, the thing about soccer
                    - it's all outside
                    - you don't need to talk or sing or whatever - unlike other things
                    - you're not near any one person very long

It could be done. Non-contact.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2790252]I'm in no way not advocating for reopening, but sports only fill a gap for a select few students. 80% of students don't participate in a sport...so how are they fulfilling their social and emotional aspects?[/Q]Kid aren't one size fits all, everyone needs the same thing on any aspect. Figure it out group by group.

The comment was just cross sports off the list with no real thought. But if some thought is applied, it can make sense.

Comment

This must be one of the dumbest threads on TS. Be an online student, but expect the school to do extracurricular activities in person? What about the kids in debate, theater, robotics club, and other activities; or is the school expected only serve soccer players or other sports? Selfish, dumbass!
                        Debate and robotics could be done on Zoom fairly effectively.

Theater is tough. It would be hard to design a better super spreading event than theater, except maybe chorus. But even that could be done online - kids could get coaching, do monologues, even do dialogues and small ensembles.

Not ideal, but kids needs can be met. But not with thoughtless approaches.

Comment

BS! It costs nothing to use zoom or google classroom ... give me a break .... you must be a steward.
                          Google classroom is generally free, but it's slow and even more so without the higher bandwidth/capacity (usually) of the school technology infrastructure - and of course limited by the end user capacity.

Zoom basic is free - you generally need the paid version for adequate online instruction, but not terribly expensive.

A better LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, schoology, etc.) is better and not terribly expensive and far more useful than google, both in and remote learning set-ups.

Equity though requires computing devices - some districts were more set up than others on that and of course the household incomes of the schools' neighborhoods play a huge role as well.

Teachers get paid either way, some fights I suspect on the stipends and others "add-ons" that get put into union contracts. I know my district still paid the coaches and the club advisors for the spring as it wasn't big money and not worth the legal fight.

I suspect for the fall though that won't be the case. Some savings of course in cutting athletics, but not the big bucks. The other poster was off - huge savings in transportation (although bus companies have sued or threatened retaliation when things are "normal" if they don't get some payment to keep their businesses afloat.

Substitutes are a huge saving, although teachers are racking up those sick days in their account and it depends on the district how much they get to cash those in. Medical has generally been a huge savings with less ability of employees to simply get medical treatment. Electricity - yes, although some districts have minimum use clauses.

Janitorial - will be interesting - I would hope like in my district they used the spring to really super clean and make some dents on basic maintenance but if online continues, not as much need.

Food service - depends - in poor districts, still giving out food (bag lunches, etc.) but the districts get federal reimbursement so that's okay.

Huge savings - teaching assistants - but that's a union issue on laying them off for remote.

In general, it's a big savings to go remote, especially after the fixed tech upgrades - but it's also exposes the huge inequities in education.

Places like LA and the like - just too big to deal with all the issues in a short time.

Most schools around here should be able to open, at least with the Elementary/Middle and the HS on some kind of rotational (Math, Science, English, Social Sciences in person and electives online). That means sports other than football should be held, at least to start.

Comment

Though if they keep paying people their salaries, there aren't savings.

To get savings, you're talking about putting all the staff that's cut on unemployment and making them take the hit on their incomes. Not exactly a saving in the big picture.

Comment

I'm in no way not advocating for reopening, but sports only fill a gap for a select few students. 80% of students don't participate in a sport...so how are they fulfilling their social and emotional aspects?
                              Not in my town. 74% of students at my local high school participated in a sports (all levels).

Comment

Handle each topic individually. We are talking about soccer here. Not that I don't care about non-soccer or non-athletes. I am not attempting to address every extracurricular activity. I think we are all simply saying that soccer should be played. Schools could easily be handling requirements for safety for each activity...the MIAA did it for each sport already. Can't be that hard for band, debate, etc. Schools have had five months (and have two more) to figure this out. I'm sure they haven't been sitting around waiting for Covid to go away.

To say we should cancel everything is just ridiculous. Tough times call for tough people. This means that if we have to work harder to be safe then we need to do that. What do you think your grandparents did during the depression? NYC reported zero deaths the other day...ZERO. I'm not saying that it didn't have an impact...but it has declined to ZERO deaths. Where do you go from ZERO? You can't go down any further than that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X