Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks That’s what I suspected was the answer. I just find it difficult that an expensive private school cancels their sports for the fall because of Covid and safety concerns and now their students can go off and take spots from kids who are at the public school for four years just because they want to play a sport in the fall. Normally the private school has a D3 team. They elected not to participate this fall.
    Coach should NOT private school kids on squad. cut them.

Comment

Thanks That’s what I suspected was the answer. I just find it difficult that an expensive private school cancels their sports for the fall because of Covid and safety concerns and now their students can go off and take spots from kids who are at the public school for four years just because they want to play a sport in the fall. Normally the private school has a D3 team. They elected not to participate this fall.
      Of course they should be able to play. They pay taxes to that town. It doesn’t matter if kids have been there for 4 years. New kids can move in and join their team. No one has a spot from year to year. You have no idea why someone may need their educational needs met at a private school.

Comment

So here’s a question that I don’t know the answer to and I’m looking for help. If a private school cancels their season and opts of soccer can that player who lives in a town that has a public high school and is playing soccer participate? They aren’t transferring schools on,y playing soccer. Is that allowed? Is that an AD decision? District decision? Or NHIAA decision? Just find it strange that we are starting to see private school girls who live in town show up at high school preseason because their school opted out. I expect others may be seeing this too. What’s the protocol? Thanks in advance.
        Our child is in this situation and we asked the HS AD. He said if the school does not offer the sport they are allowed to tryout for the HS. He also said if they do agree to play in the fall then they are only allowed to play for the HS for the remainder of the year if they also do winter or spring sports. I'm not sure about that 2nd part and will be requesting more info from NHIAA. Also our child goes to private school in MA so I don't know how they would enforce the 2nd part.

Comment

Coach should NOT private school kids on squad. cut them.

NHIAA allows it. and coaches should be trying to build the best team

Comment

So here’s a question that I don’t know the answer to and I’m looking for help. If a private school cancels their season and opts of soccer can that player who lives in a town that has a public high school and is playing soccer participate? They aren’t transferring schools on,y playing soccer. Is that allowed? Is that an AD decision? District decision? Or NHIAA decision? Just find it strange that we are starting to see private school girls who live in town show up at high school preseason because their school opted out. I expect others may be seeing this too. What’s the protocol? Thanks in advance.

From NHIAA rules, eligibility section
            In order to represent a member school in interscholastic athletics, a student must be in attendance as a full time student in the district where his/her parents/guardians legally reside. (Exception: Charter, Home Educated and Non Public Students – Sect. 13)

http://nhiaa.org/about-nhiaa/handbook

Comment

From NHIAA rules, eligibility section
              In order to represent a member school in interscholastic athletics, a student must be in attendance as a full time student in the district where his/her parents/guardians legally reside. (Exception: Charter, Home Educated and Non Public Students – Sect. 13)

http://nhiaa.org/about-nhiaa/handbook
              Is a Non Public Student the same as a private school student? I hate it when some bureaucrat writes something like this and decides not to be completely clear. Has anyone else ever heard of a "Non Public Student"?

Comment

No they cannot without fully enrolling in that school.

Comment

I believe this is allowed. Kids who go to charter schools may play sports for the district they live in. I think private schools are the same. I know kids from our local Catholic school may participate in any sport at the local school that is not offered by the private school.
                  No this is not allowed by the NHIAA - if the public school is allowing it they are in violation of the eligibility bylaw.

If a kid goes to a public HS and they want to play a sport not offered at their school that is offered at another school in the same district, they can.

The other exception is lest say a kid goes to West but wants to take a Film class that West does not offer and Central does. The kid can enroll and play sports at Central.

Charter and private school kids NOT enrolled in a public school are not permitted to play sports at the public school.

Homeschool kids CAN play sports for their public school of record.

Comment

No this is not allowed by the NHIAA - if the public school is allowing it they are in violation of the eligibility bylaw.

If a kid goes to a public HS and they want to play a sport not offered at their school that is offered at another school in the same district, they can.

The other exception is lest say a kid goes to West but wants to take a Film class that West does not offer and Central does. The kid can enroll and play sports at Central.

Charter and private school kids NOT enrolled in a public school are not permitted to play sports at the public school.

Homeschool kids CAN play sports for their public school of record.
                    The NHIAA handbook states otherwise. Private school (non-public) students may participate.

This has actually been happening all along but usually in more minor sports (small Catholic school doesn't offer swimming, kids participate at local HS). It's only getting more attention now because it's moving into larger sports this year due to COVID.

Comment

No they cannot without fully enrolling in that school.
                      Wrong

Comment

Academy of Science and Design charter school students and home educated students have participated in both the boys and girls Nashua High School South varsity soccer program.

Comment

Windham has shut down athletics due to a positive case. Here we go....

Comment

Windham has shut down athletics due to a positive case. Here we go....
                            They won't be the last. From my understanding, this wasn't "a" positive case...it was upwards of twenty cases after a party with the football team and soccer teams.

In a case like this, I hope if those who are potentially exposed limit their social activity for a couple of weeks. Absolute worst case scenario is if a player in this situation goes to a private training session, a club activity, etc. and spreads it there. Then, it will go to all those other schools real easily....

I hope parents are going to do the right thing here...

[And, no, not fear mongering. I expect people to live their lives, but if you know you have been exposed just lay low for a couple of weeks.]

Comment

They won't be the last. From my understanding, this wasn't "a" positive case...it was upwards of twenty cases after a party with the football team and soccer teams.

In a case like this, I hope if those who are potentially exposed limit their social activity for a couple of weeks. Absolute worst case scenario is if a player in this situation goes to a private training session, a club activity, etc. and spreads it there. Then, it will go to all those other schools real easily....

I hope parents are going to do the right thing here...

[And, no, not fear mongering. I expect people to live their lives, but if you know you have been exposed just lay low for a couple of weeks.]
                              Completely agree. We can all live our lives with a few changes including staying home and away from people if you are exposed.

Comment

Completely agree. We can all live our lives with a few changes including staying home and away from people if you are exposed.
                                Puts the clubs in a tough spot. They need to rely on parents to do the right thing, but if they are hiding it then there isn't anything they can do. However, if there is a spread over it they will get the blame.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X