Fall soccer programs killed by Covid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for the record, there are at least three tiers in the NESCAC and some might argue that there are four or five.

Williams
    Amherst
    Midd
    Bowdoin

Wesleyan
    Colby
    Tufts
    Hamilton
    Bates

Conn Coll
    Trinity

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Let's hope he doesn't take the easy route like his D3 father.

Yes, poor guy probably had to play soccer at a NESCAC school and is now a surgeon. Too bad he didn't play D1 at Rhode Island , Vermont, Sacret Heart , Hartford, Central Ct, Fairfield, St Francis, Western Ct, Uconn, Stoney Brook or dozens of other ****ty D1 schools instead.

Comment

Since this is a debbie downer negative thread I'll add my two cents.
        Shut down the colleges for the year. Yep.
        Just close them.
        No reason to charge families for distance learning college and have no sports, no research labs, no libraries, no dorms no real college experience. Just all kids take the gap year, maybe get a year of life experience and then start back up fall of 2021. The colleges charge way too much anyway.

Comment

NESCAC done until 2022.

Comment

This is a Mass thread, not Mississippi. Stop with your immature identity politics for a few moments, could ya?
            Wake up, know your MA history because he or she fits in just perfect

Comment

NESCAC done until 2022.
              2022? That seems a bit extreme.

Comment

2022? That seems a bit extreme.
                Not true, the year or the fact NESCAC called off all sports.

Don't believe everything you read here.

Comment

Yes, poor guy probably had to play soccer at a NESCAC school and is now a surgeon. Too bad he didn't play D1 at Rhode Island , Vermont, Sacret Heart , Hartford, Central Ct, Fairfield, St Francis, Western Ct, Uconn, Stoney Brook or dozens of other ****ty D1 schools instead.
                  Exactly! I was the OP this person was responding to. I made a decision based on academics and money not ego like most on this site.

Comment

Exactly! I was the OP this person was responding to. I made a decision based on academics and money not ego like most on this site.
                    You sure seem to have developed that ego of yours somewhere. Typical.

Comment

Just close them.
                      No reason to charge families for distance learning college and have no sports, no research labs, no libraries, no dorms no real college experience. Just all kids take the gap year, maybe get a year of life experience and then start back up fall of 2021. The colleges charge way too much anyway.
                      YOU have that choice. Just make it

Comment

You sure seem to have developed that ego of yours somewhere. Typical.
                        Jealous? You can call it ego but I'm certainly proud of what i accomplished. Tell me what is typical about me and what you know about my life and I will tell you how wrong you are.

You must have really fallen short of daddy's expectations.

Comment

Just close them.
                          What type of life experience will these students get by taking a year off? Most places are closed. I’m of the mind set that it’s best to use this down time to study and earn credits. There aren’t many other opportunities right now. Colleges obviously should reduce the price accordingly.

Comment

Colleges obviously should reduce the price accordingly.
                            Colleges will not reduce the price. Professors will still be paid. Investments in IT infrastructure improvement will be substantial.

Comment

Colleges will not reduce the price. Professors will still be paid. Investments in IT infrastructure improvement will be substantial.
                              There will be huge expenditure savings, from facilities going unused. It is definitely less costly to educate a student online. That is a fact.

Comment

What type of life experience will these students get by taking a year off? Most places are closed. I’m of the mind set that it’s best to use this down time to study and earn credits. There aren’t many other opportunities right now. Colleges obviously should reduce the price accordingly.
                                There is no magic bullet that is going to stop this virus in the near term. It’s not like next year we are all going to be immune. If it took 6 years for a SARS vaccine and over a decade for HIV immunotherapy drugs, then a preventative treatment for Covid-19 is at least 3-5 years away even with the resources and better technology we have now. We are all going to be wearing PPE and socially distancing for years unless we want millions to die needlessly. That’s the reality and not saying it to be dramatic or a downer, just realistic. So if you approach it from that mindset and you are college or any other business, you’ve got to totally rethink how you operate.

The other reality is that we are really hurting economically and that isn’t going to end soon. Things don’t quite seem so bad right now because the Fed has injected trillions into the economy virtually over night, but a lot of that $ went to short term help that is drying up now. The Fed can’t keep printing $ and propping up asset prices forever. So colleges have to realize that they have an even smaller number of students that can afford to attend in the long-term (next 5-10 years).

My guess is the smaller, less financially stable colleges will close by the dozens over the next 2-3 years. Maybe 10-15% of all colleges will close. The most exclusive 10-15% schools at the top of the rankings will become even more exclusive with smaller class sizes and the best online experiences. The 70-80% of colleges in the middle will follow one of two strategies: either move all or the vast majority of classes online or shrink their student sizes and internal costs. Few will successfully lower their prices because that’s just a race to the bottom. Either way you cut it, there will probably be fewer students and rising tuition. Sports programs will get cut to the bone, if most schools even bother to have them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X