Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They are limiting themselves. Soccer is a great sport and my kids enjoy it, but I don’t want them to spend the majority of their prime youth years doing one activity all the time. Same old same old car rides and fields all the time. There is a whole world of things out there to explore and enjoy, and lessons to be learned. Carpe diem.
    You act as if club players around here are in European-style youth academies. In reality, these kids are spending about 5 hours a week playing with their teams (say 3x1.5 hr practices and 1 hour game), plus driving time of 4-5 hours a week, for a total of 10 hours a week. The best players put an extra hour a day at most practicing on their own on top of this, which is time spent doing something they really enjoy. Almost all are attending brick and mortar schools, where aside from academics, they are participating in art, music, all kinds of different sports in gym class, and playing basketball during lunch break. Most kids are involved in a winter sport when soccer season slows, and then do something entirely different in the summer. Lots of kids are even able to get in a spring rec sport (once a week practice type of thing) or music lessons on days off of soccer. Point being, I think most club soccer kids are finding plenty of time to enjoy things other than soccer. In fact, most of the multisport kids I know seem to have much less time for free play or non-sporting endeavors, due to sports overlapping and continually lengthening seasons. Most of their after-school time is spent at some organized sports practice, with utter craziness driving all over on the weekends. Plus, there is something to be said for kids that want to focus and work hard to be really good at a certain thing. I'm certainly not saying that's a better way to grow up, but kids have different personalities and will find fulfillment in different ways.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X