Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you play on a DA team are you permitted to sign up for PDP? I assume that is a club decision?
    if you mean PDP the free ID program, no, since DA clubs aren't part of NYCSL. PDP is meant to be a club-nominated program with continued participation based on skill.

center of excellence (CoE, for U12 & up) and Zone 1 (for U11 and down) is branded under JC's NCE (National Center of Excellence). whether DA clubs allow players to do CoE is club by club decision. technically not supposed to allow but will become somewhat moot point as DA moves to U13 & up next year (and likely U14 & up after). JC's programs are really geared to the younger ages.

Comment

If you play on a DA team are you permitted to sign up for PDP? I assume that is a club decision?

If you play on a DA team, you are not supposed to do any other outside training outside of DA
      Also DA trains 4x week with 1 game per weekend. Why would you possible want your child doing more?

Comment

if you mean PDP the free ID program, no, since DA clubs aren't part of NYCSL. PDP is meant to be a club-nominated program with continued participation based on skill.

center of excellence (CoE, for U12 & up) and Zone 1 (for U11 and down) is branded under JC's NCE (National Center of Excellence). whether DA clubs allow players to do CoE is club by club decision. technically not supposed to allow but will become somewhat moot point as DA moves to U13 & up next year (and likely U14 & up after). JC's programs are really geared to the younger ages.
        So do you see any point/benefit in older players (u14/u15) doing the CoE? Or is it a waste of time and money?

Comment

If you play on a DA team, you are not supposed to do any other outside training outside of DA
          Also DA trains 4x week with 1 game per weekend. Why would you possible want your child doing more?
          Yeah, well, some USSF rules are more of a suggestion than an actual rule. Plenty of clubs look the other way, usually with the players they don't really care about.

Comment

So do you see any point/benefit in older players (u14/u15) doing the CoE? Or is it a waste of time and money?
            At that age the group is usually much smaller, which can be a great benefit (more attention per player). Some of the younger ages are much bigger. Training is still very good though.

Comment

Honestly, it is well-run, but expensive. Some pretty good players there too, but not all. Many kids from my kids team were invited to do this (my kid included). We opted out because many should not have been invited which really soured it for me and showed me it was not all about talent.

Comment

Honestly, it is well-run, but expensive. Some pretty good players there too, but not all. Many kids from my kids team were invited to do this (my kid included). We opted out because many should not have been invited which really soured it for me and showed me it was not all about talent.
                Ok got it. What age are you referring to by the way? My understanding from reading their info (CoE) is that anyone can sign up for the initial tryout date, then players are selected from that to participate in the multi-week program? Is that not true?

Comment

Ok got it. What age are you referring to by the way? My understanding from reading their info (CoE) is that anyone can sign up for the initial tryout date, then players are selected from that to participate in the multi-week program? Is that not true?
                  Was U14 last year.

Comment

Because every team is looking to replace bottom third of players with new players. So every academy kid is training in everything they can find for fear of losing their spot/playing time or getting cut. That's the buy-in required.

Comment

Yes the first session is a tryout. It is talent based to be called back. Some Players already in the program do not have to tryout.
                      It is a good program which is well run and organized.
                      But like anything it’s only as good as the talent that participates
                      If they are looking for only 25 07s and 50 high level 07s show up. You are going to have a very competitive high level group
                      If only 25 07s show up who have never kicked a ball before they are still gonna have a session it’s not like they are gonna cancel the program for that season .
                      But that’s the same for ODP and every other program .

Comment

My kid does the session in Bethany. They had about 70 kids in each group try out and they cut it back to 30 kids who have been trying training all winter. The sessions are well run, the level of play is very good. In the group you have several players from Oakwood, A few CFC, Ginga, Sporting, Rush, SSC and Everton. I am able to pay the $300 for Winter and I am more than please with the quality and feel it’s worth it. My daughter plays on a good Premier team and is one of the stronger players on the team. In this training she is middle of the back. She loves her team and loves this extra training.

The program is no longer part of PDP, it’s COE and NCE now. Some clubs are pissed that J Curtis pulled out of PDP and there is tension. However, the training is very good, the quality of players is very good so it’s highly valued. I do t question why all the players come to this extra training but it is clearly filling a void and the kids seem to enjoy it. This platform is a strong program and J Curtis is also offering College ID programs as well. Just another opportunity for players and families.

Comment

Because every team is looking to replace bottom third of players with new players. So every academy kid is training in everything they can find for fear of losing their spot/playing time or getting cut. That's the buy-in required.

Ok so I see you have taken one to many sips from the “FOMO” Kool Aid
                          The best players get better from what they are doing when not at organized practices
                          If you have to drive your child all around to train then your child might not have the commitment to the sport you think they have
                          And you and many others fall for the buy in required. Your just wasting your money

Comment

The best players get better from what they are doing when not at organized practices
                            If you have to drive your child all around to train then your child might not have the commitment to the sport you think they have
                            And you and many others fall for the buy in required. Your just wasting your money
                            There is a lot of truth to this.

Comment

OR, there's benefit to diversity of training and in a team sport it's impossible to work on all your skills by yourself and we all don't live in a Brazilian favela where there's tons of kids playing pick up all day every day becoming the next neymar jr. But that's just IMO, just like yours.

Comment

I hear you. I was asking because I have heard several parents of DA kids talk about still doing the PDA. Our club told us it was not allowed.

Another poster suggested something I may try. That is to find a couple of local kids, find a coach and schedule some small group sessions. I think that is a great way to get some extra training in for those that want it without breaking the bank

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X