Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed and Agility

Hey, my child is not the quickest on the team, but has great foot skills and passing vision. Other than soccer they show no interest in other sports and team practices really don't help with this. Coach says they could be a top player once they grow into their strength and speed. Anyone else had to help their kid with getting up to speed?

Your kid can improve their speed some, but a good portion of it is genetics. They either have it or they don't. Also as your kid matures, build muscle mass and gets faster, so does everyone else. Do some research on line; there's tons of videos with exercises they can do. Just don't think it will turn them into Ussain Bolt.

Comment

"What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster."

-Johan Cruyff

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Hey, my child is not the quickest on the team, but has great foot skills and passing vision. Other than soccer they show no interest in other sports and team practices really don't help with this. Coach says they could be a top player once they grow into their strength and speed. Anyone else had to help their kid with getting up to speed?
        Pretty much this is up to genetics and time (puberty).

Speed and Agility training helps make sure that all the right muscles are building, but a persons raw speed is for the most part something that they are born with.

Or you can start pumping the kid full of HGH like Messi's parents did.

Comment

If your kid is white he/she will be slower than the colored players, if okay though, they will probably have a better life overall. Thanks!

Comment

If your kid is white he/she will be slower than the colored players, if okay though, they will probably have a better life overall. Thanks!
            you are an a-hole

Comment

"What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster."

-Johan Cruyff

This is a great quote. While yes you can get more agile and there are things you can do to learn to run properly, which will help your speed a little. The bottom line is genetics.

But, Cruyff points that if you become a smarter player, read the game better, and anticipate better, then you will have a half-step head start. Often, that's all it takes.

Comment

Speed and Agility

This is a great quote. While yes you can get more agile and there are things you can do to learn to run properly, which will help your speed a little. The bottom line is genetics.

But, Cruyff points that if you become a smarter player, read the game better, and anticipate better, then you will have a half-step head start. Often, that's all it takes.
                You totally nailed it...being smart and always in a good position will always make you seam like you are stronger and faster than others....This applies to any activity you set out to do...anything.

Comment

You totally nailed it...being smart and always in a good position will always make you seam like you are stronger and faster than others....This applies to any activity you set out to do...anything.
                  And yet our club will have the kids all do sprint races at tryouts...

Comment

Straight linear speed, while not the best measure of skill, isn't to be totally discounted. It's one of 20+ things to look at.

Not always very useful, but wouldn't throw it totally away either.

Comment

Straight linear speed, while not the best measure of skill, isn't to be totally discounted. It's one of 20+ things to look at.

Not always very useful, but wouldn't throw it totally away either.
                      You tend to see larger speed differences at the younger ages than you do the older ages as some kids are just able to use their bodies to their full potential earlier on than others. I've been coaching for close to 15 years now and there are very few kids that were physically dominant at the young ages that remained physically dominant when they hit their mid-teens.

Comment

Speed and Agility

There are literally 1000s of variables than can make up a 1/10,000 kid. everything counts yet not one thing counts at all.

Comment

You tend to see larger speed differences at the younger ages than you do the older ages as some kids are just able to use their bodies to their full potential earlier on than others. I've been coaching for close to 15 years now and there are very few kids that were physically dominant at the young ages that remained physically dominant when they hit their mid-teens.
                          yes but you also know that you can identify actual speed very early based on gait, stride, frequency, body type, etc. to the point of the OP, speed can really only be taught to those who have the natural raw fundamentals, then it's about strength, technique, etc. sure, the bigger/faster kids now all won't necessarily be bigger and faster later, but that doesn't mean your kid will be getting faster, just normalizing the difference.

Comment

Speed and Agility

yes but you also know that you can identify actual speed very early based on gait, stride, frequency, body type, etc. to the point of the OP, speed can really only be taught to those who have the natural raw fundamentals, then it's about strength, technique, etc. sure, the bigger/faster kids now all won't necessarily be bigger and faster later, but that doesn't mean your kid will be getting faster, just normalizing the difference.

I coached a kid a long time ago at u10...i swear to god this kid could catch lighting he was so fast. two years later....he couldn't catch a cold.

Comment

I coached a kid a long time ago at u10...i swear to god this kid could catch lighting he was so fast. two years later....he couldn't catch a cold.
                              Doubt it and horrible joke

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X