Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this what you really want for your kid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this what you really want for your kid?

A very good article about the lifestyle of a pro soccer player. In this day and age of pay for play soccer I wonder how many parents truly understand what this woman is talking about and whether or not this is what they really want for their child when they first put them on the treadmill that is elite club soccer

https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/03/...-pro-athletes/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A very good article about the lifestyle of a pro soccer player. In this day and age of pay for play soccer I wonder how many parents truly understand what this woman is talking about and whether or not this is what they really want for their child when they first put them on the treadmill that is elite club soccer

Almost no one is looking for their kids to become pro soccer players, even more so female pro players. At most parents hope maybe it will lead to better college options, maybe a few $ to play. Even then that's not their intention when they first start out in club.

Comment

This article is about UC presumably brought on by stress of being a Pro athlete. Stress is not unique to athletes, stress is a symptom of being an Elite professional.

Comment

I highly doubt that the majority of people so stressed that they are suffering from UC are elite/professional athletes. If you want to protect your kid from stress as an adult, you better make sure you are well off enough to enable your kid to get through life without having to be employed. Professional athlete isn't even on this list: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/07/the-...n-america.html

Comment

Nope, don't want that for my kid. Never ever even considered it.

What a stupid thread.

Comment

Nope, don't want that for my kid. Never ever even considered it.

What a stupid thread.
            Lol. My bet is plenty of your like thinking peers have their kids on a DA or ECNL like track though. At least none of you have to photoshop your kid's face onto team photos though when you are scurrying around trying to jump them to the front of the admissions line.

Comment

Almost no one is looking for their kids to become pro soccer players, even more so female pro players. At most parents hope maybe it will lead to better college options, maybe a few $ to play. Even then that's not their intention when they first start out in club.
              Really a false narrative. How many parents actually see themselves putting their kid's on a DA or ECNL roster when they "First" start out in club? Wouldn't you agree that changes pretty quickly though.

Comment

Really a false narrative. How many parents actually see themselves putting their kid's on a DA or ECNL roster when they "First" start out in club? Wouldn't you agree that changes pretty quickly though.
                But that's very different then wanting them to go pro. The point of the article is being a professional. Actually it was mostly about the hardships about being a professional athlete (did anyone really think differently?), hence adding to why almost no one wants that for their kids.

And not everyone can or wants to play at a high level. Plenty of kids play at all different levels just because they want to even after years in the system.

Comment

But that's very different then wanting them to go pro. The point of the article is being a professional. Actually it was mostly about the hardships about being a professional athlete (did anyone really think differently?), hence adding to why almost no one wants that for their kids.

And not everyone can or wants to play at a high level. Plenty of kids play at all different levels just because they want to even after years in the system.
                  The article speaks to what it takes to be a high level player. Whether it be a D1 caliber player or pro caliber player the commitment level is functionally the same, the only difference is the level of the player's ability.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X