Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Seriously?? One down year and you're already speculating about termination. Please. Get a grip of yourself.. Here is the reality, it won't happen. The mission of UP is bigger than the wins or losses of its athletic programs. Here is another reality; there is a definite history, but just because one may play for FCP, doesn't mean they want to attend UP at all, so connecting the two is tenuous at best.

IF winning in athletics was the primary focus and mission at UP, their baseball and basketball coaches would have been long gone. Both are still there because they represent and fit the overall mission of UP regardless of wins and losses. Neither program comes close to the success GSW has had.
    Sorry.. GS not GSW. By the way, for the pundits, I'm not GS. I've never met the man/coach. I am however an FCP parent whose DD has no interest in UP, soccer or otherwise.

Comment

Sorry.. GS not GSW. By the way, for the pundits, I'm not GS. I've never met the man/coach. I am however an FCP parent whose DD has no interest in UP, soccer or otherwise.
      FCP parent...... dd has no interest in soccer........? Like most threads on here, started by an ignoramus.

G.S. is not going anywhere. It's U of P not U11-14 T.A. clubs trying to win at any cost.

Was it a horrible year in terms of soccer? Yep. Long term they will be fine.

Comment

FCP parent...... dd has no interest in soccer........? Like most threads on here, started by an ignoramus.

G.S. is not going anywhere. It's U of P not U11-14 T.A. clubs trying to win at any cost.

Except long term wise they are a joke as of now and they have been getting worse and worse post clI've and the people on charge are used up sales people who are doing opposite of what they used to be. Not about winning? That's a joke Considering now that they aren't you can't say it's about something more. ..

Soccer at that school is getting worse. Look at what the men's have become and the girls are not too far behind. ..clean house and get rid of the sales people that can't coach

Comment

Seriously?? One down year and you're already speculating about termination. Please. Get a grip of yourself.. Here is the reality, it won't happen. The mission of UP is bigger than the wins or losses of its athletic programs. Here is another reality; there is a definite history, but just because one may play for FCP, doesn't mean they want to attend UP at all, so connecting the two is tenuous at best.

IF winning in athletics was the primary focus and mission at UP, their baseball and basketball coaches would have been long gone. Both are still there because they represent and fit the overall mission of UP regardless of wins and losses. Neither program comes close to the success GSW has had.
          Your last paragraph is probably the stupidest I've heard in a long time. You must be one of their coaches.....please share some more bs you are full of to justify how bad the deterioration is.

Comment

Clive would have not used UP to mindlessly recruit for club teams like certain persons do and how much do you want to bet he wouldn't of signed on to a overblown money grab that ecnl is. He was about simplicity and inclusion.

Comment

Clive would have not used UP to mindlessly recruit for club teams like certain persons do and how much do you want to bet he wouldn't of signed on to a overblown money grab that ecnl is. He was about simplicity and inclusion.
              Talk about overblown money grabs, just think Thorns Academy, Timbers Alliance, and Timbers Premier league.

Comment

Talk about overblown money grabs, just think Thorns Academy, Timbers Alliance, and Timbers Premier league.
                Hahahahahhahah do you always sound this dumb? Do you even know what you are talking about?

Comment

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree that UP soccer will be fine in the long term under GS. Before calling me an ignoramus, re-read what I said: I am an fcp parent whose child has no interest in UP for soccer or otherwise. I didn't say my child wasn't interested in soccer. Obviously if we are at fcp there is a strong interest in soccer. My point is that just because my child plays for fcp, doesn't mean UP is the ultimate goal.

Comment

Your last paragraph is probably the stupidest I've heard in a long time. You must be one of their coaches.....please share some more bs you are full of to justify how bad the deterioration is.
                    No not a coach. I just don't buy into the BS about how bad soccer at UP has become.

Comment

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree that UP soccer will be fine in the long term under GS. Before calling me an ignoramus, re-read what I said: I am an fcp parent whose child has no interest in UP for soccer or otherwise. I didn't say my child wasn't interested in soccer. Obviously if we are at fcp there is a strong interest in soccer. My point is that just because my child plays for fcp, doesn't mean UP is the ultimate goal.
                      You are correct, I read it wrong and I apologize.

Comment

Compare the recruits he used to get vs. the ones he gets now. Half of his recruits are coming from his FCP team that was very mediocre. So with those players, he expects to play on a national level? The sad part is that some more players went there to play at FCP hoping that he gives a couple more players offers. He better hope that team begins to tear apart the mediocre ECNL teams that they are being matched up against. If they can't, then how does he expect to compete against Santa Clara, Pepperdine, BYU and the other OOC games he schedules? I don't know if he's in hot water, but there are strong rumors that he is.

Comment

Compare the recruits he used to get vs. the ones he gets now. Half of his recruits are coming from his FCP team that was very mediocre. So with those players, he expects to play on a national level? The sad part is that some more players went there to play at FCP hoping that he gives a couple more players offers. He better hope that team begins to tear apart the mediocre ECNL teams that they are being matched up against. If they can't, then how does he expect to compete against Santa Clara, Pepperdine, BYU and the other OOC games he schedules? I don't know if he's in hot water, but there are strong rumors that he is.
                          Rumors, speculation, innuendo. Call it what you want, it's all the same. The start of your last sentence said it best: "I don't know..." You should have left it at that.

Comment

Imho

I never met Clive personally but have met and had extended conversations with several of his former players and they conveyed a sense of his approach to life and soccer that is consistent with what we have read over the years. One of my DD's head coaches not only played 4 years for Clive but was a member of one of his championship teams and she was constantly trying teach the game the way Clive taught her.

I have met GS and seen him in action both at the collegiate and the youth levels for 8 years. When comparing the two I think it's unfair to expect GS to have Clive's charisma. It is fair however to compare their sideline demeanor and their approach to coaching/teaching.

What I and others have observed of GS on the youth side line is a coach who is detached from his players on a personal level which could be a natural consequence from his limited time with them or it could be a reflection of his core personality.

Recently multiple UP recruits have said there are two faces to GS, the pre commitment nice GS being replaced by a colder all business post commitment GS. While at this level players should not expect to play for a "nice" coach but they should expect to play for a coach that can connect with them.

What I have been told and read about Clive is that he was able to connect with each player and that is how he was able to get them to commit to playing his system and in the process get them to reach their potential. Do we hear this about GS as a coach?

I doubt the U of P leadership will tolerate a women's soccer program floundering in the middle of the conference with lagging attendance and falling revenue that helps support both the men's and women's program. So unless GS can start recruiting and retaining players that produce wins expect a change. When? I imagine he has two seasons to turn it around.

Comment

I never met Clive personally but have met and had extended conversations with several of his former players and they conveyed a sense of his approach to life and soccer that is consistent with what we have read over the years. One of my DD's head coaches not only played 4 years for Clive but was a member of one of his championship teams and she was constantly trying teach the game the way Clive taught her.

I have met GS and seen him in action both at the collegiate and the youth levels for 8 years. When comparing the two I think it's unfair to expect GS to have Clive's charisma. It is fair however to compare their sideline demeanor and their approach to coaching/teaching.

What I and others have observed of GS on the youth side line is a coach who is detached from his players on a personal level which could be a natural consequence from his limited time with them or it could be a reflection of his core personality.

Recently multiple UP recruits have said there are two faces to GS, the pre commitment nice GS being replaced by a colder all business post commitment GS. While at this level players should not expect to play for a "nice" coach but they should expect to play for a coach that can connect with them.

What I have been told and read about Clive is that he was able to connect with each player and that is how he was able to get them to commit to playing his system and in the process get them to reach their potential. Do we hear this about GS as a coach?

I doubt the U of P leadership will tolerate a women's soccer program floundering in the middle of the conference with lagging attendance and falling revenue that helps support both the men's and women's program. So unless GS can start recruiting and retaining players that produce wins expect a change. When? I imagine he has two seasons to turn it around.
                              ^ good post

Comment

Rumors, speculation, innuendo. Call it what you want, it's all the same. The start of your last sentence said it best: "I don't know..." You should have left it at that.
                                I do know the girls who he is offering are not top level players. Someone needs to remind him UoP still plays D1, they haven't been demoted to D2.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X