Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why? Maybe my DD has the skills and talents to play at the highest level of club soccer. Why make her play rec? Unless by "rec" you mean "OYSA Premier"?
    Rec in these posters terminology seems to mean "anything other than ECNL"

Comment

Then you don't know many HS players

If you think the majority of kids at HS age are playing club soccer for "fun" your a little delusional. You can play plenty of quality rec league soccer and have "fun". I can guarantee whether they make it in college or not, the majority of HS age club soccer players are thinking about playing in college.
      I have to ask how many HS players you know personally? Since 90% of those in the Metro area are not going to play in college do you think they are delusional?

In my DD's school the girls and boys always make the playoffs and the boys normally make the quarter finals and yet only 25% of those boys "expect' to play in college with even fewer on the girls side. Moving outside the schools with strong club representation and the numbers NOT expecting to play in college goes UP!

Even a majority of the club players are doing it for F U N :<) as are the parents of a majority of the Softball, Baseball, Lacrosse, and basketball players whose parents pay thousands for them to play on competitive club teams and saying nothing about the golfers and tennis players whose parents put them on regional circuits every summer.

Comment

Many play for fun but there are also many who are delusional - especially parents.

Comment

If I was $40K in the hole, both my kids would not be going to OES right now.

It is not so much the money, but the amount of time required.

Why do you care so much about how we spend our money or what league my 15 year old plays in?
          The reason I care is it creates an unsustainable model for the other 99.5% of the world. Sure I know you look at these folks as "your servants" but they are the vast majority of the population. The "numbers" you need to make your little conspicuous consumption fest work.

I'm sure you will throw insults my way, call me jealous...not the case at all. It disturbs me however when through your marketing I see a family that feels the "only way" they will get their 12 year old to attain their dreams is by spending money they don't have.

The structure the ECNL clubs are forcing on to Oregon girl's soccer is destructive in the long run. If you want an extreme example of what is being created look at the downfall of the NASL.

I guess I don't expect current ECNL parents to give a rip about the health of Oregon soccer, they have already moved beyond it, but these clubs need to be aware of what they are creating. It is not sustainable.

Comment

Club soccer has a short window of time. Why would you want to spend your entire club career hanging out in the sticks to claim you beat back woods teams consistently, what exactly does that get you?
            What are you "trying to get"? Are they going to give you a new car? Obviously your life is about acquiring "things". That is too bad. There is a lot more to life that can be experienced not just bought.

As kids grow up they develop a sense of belonging and place, maybe you don't have that, but it is what allows adults to think about "home" in the past. Teaching these girls that Oregon is not good enough and life should be spent on a plane must be awkward since you live in Oregon.

A true competitor is not dependent on the other team for good competition. Their competition is with themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for tournament travel. With our kids we have covered most of the west between showcases, regionals and top level tournaments.

I just hate when I see a kid measured by their parents more for their medal than their mettle.

Comment

The reason I care is it creates an unsustainable model for the other 99.5% of the world. Sure I know you look at these folks as "your servants" but they are the vast majority of the population. The "numbers" you need to make your little conspicuous consumption fest work.

I'm sure you will throw insults my way, call me jealous...not the case at all. It disturbs me however when through your marketing I see a family that feels the "only way" they will get their 12 year old to attain their dreams is by spending money they don't have.

The structure the ECNL clubs are forcing on to Oregon girl's soccer is destructive in the long run. If you want an extreme example of what is being created look at the downfall of the NASL.

I guess I don't expect current ECNL parents to give a rip about the health of Oregon soccer, they have already moved beyond it, but these clubs need to be aware of what they are creating. It is not sustainable.
              Is this the new anti ECNL angle now? All these clubs are creating is new opportunities to move soccer forward. They are looking bigger than just trying to control Oregon soccer like the Timbers.

Comment

I am an ECNL parent & you are correct to say you DID NOT need ECNL to get recruited to college. Not so sure that will be the case as much going forward. With talent either all going ECNL or spread out even more there won't be powerhouse teams that can go out of state & compete meaning most college coaches won't be looking at your dd's team. It's reality that a sucky team out of state gets few looks.

ECNL is outrageously expensive & honestly wish I didn't have to pay the obsurd fees for training that is less than stellar & with some players that are embarrassingly bad at soccer.
                Money much better spent on extra coaching. That being said what choice at this point do we have. All the normal club teams are now less than they were before & would be even more of a waste of time. Timbers teams I am sorry to say at least at my dd age aren't a good option.

We are in a bind for the 2-3 years until this all shakes out & we can all see where the strong teams/players are and choice accordingly. For now we are stuck hoping that the girls will make the most of what they have.

Just be lucky if your dd is younger & has the time to wait it out. The poor juniors & seniors are stuck with little choice & must make due with what they get.

Comment

I am an ECNL parent & you are correct to say you DID NOT need ECNL to get recruited to college. Not so sure that will be the case as much going forward. With talent either all going ECNL or spread out even more there won't be powerhouse teams that can go out of state & compete meaning most college coaches won't be looking at your dd's team. It's reality that a sucky team out of state gets few looks.

ECNL is outrageously expensive & honestly wish I didn't have to pay the obsurd fees for training that is less than stellar & with some players that are embarrassingly bad at soccer.
                  Money much better spent on extra coaching. That being said what choice at this point do we have. All the normal club teams are now less than they were before & would be even more of a waste of time. Timbers teams I am sorry to say at least at my dd age aren't a good option.

We are in a bind for the 2-3 years until this all shakes out & we can all see where the strong teams/players are and choice accordingly. For now we are stuck hoping that the girls will make the most of what they have.

Just be lucky if your dd is younger & has the time to wait it out. The poor juniors & seniors are stuck with little choice & must make due with what they get.
                  But they certainly have more and better choices than in the past. Improvement, I'd say.

Comment

But they certainly have more and better choices than in the past. Improvement, I'd say.
                    more choices doesn't mean better...
                    the problem still exists here in Oregon...all of the teams are still watered down. You pay more for ECNL but you still get a watered down team with the same watered down coaches.
                    These are supposed to be Elite teams...Elite teams should have Elite Coaches....the first club to bring in "real" top level coaching will be the ECNL Club that wins.

the other options are the OPL and OYSA teams.....both are also disasters. OYSA might have a few pockets of girls age groups (G'00 and G'02 for example) but other than that both leagues of teams are mediocre....OPL has turned into the old PML where they play local Rec teams.

this is a complete mess.

Comment

the problem still exists here in Oregon...all of the teams are still watered down. You pay more for ECNL but you still get a watered down team with the same watered down coaches.
                      These are supposed to be Elite teams...Elite teams should have Elite Coaches....the first club to bring in "real" top level coaching will be the ECNL Club that wins.

the other options are the OPL and OYSA teams.....both are also disasters. OYSA might have a few pockets of girls age groups (G'00 and G'02 for example) but other than that both leagues of teams are mediocre....OPL has turned into the old PML where they play local Rec teams.

this is a complete mess.
                      The problem has always been and continues to be that there are too many clubs and too many "A" teams. Eliminate half of the clubs and you'll see the soccer improve dramatically at the "A" team level.

Comment

this is a complete mess.
                        TA drivel never ends.

Comment

The problem has always been and continues to be that there are too many clubs and too many "A" teams. Eliminate half of the clubs and you'll see the soccer improve dramatically at the "A" team level.
                          From U14 up we now have 2 true A teams in the area for kids to choose from. Look at the 2 and choose which is a better fit and try out. Pretty simple. Until U14 just focus on player development.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I am all for tournament travel. With our kids we have covered most of the west between showcases, regionals and top level tournaments.

Then what is your beef with ECNL? The cost differential between a local traveling club team going to 3 quality showcases and Regionals and the ECNL team of the same age is less than $1,000.

I am sympathetic to your point that pay to play is the scourge of American sports but in the words of Walter Cronkite "and that's the way it is" for ALL youth sports in America.

If you want to complain about the cost of high level development soccer then aim your barbs where they belong and that would be at MLS and ODP who rake in millions yet charge for participation all the way down to the tryouts.

Yeah MLS has a free or minimal cost DA for the 16's and up but that means that the clubs/league get FREE development paid for by the parents of the players and it only applies to the boys side of the ledger.

The Olympic program and US Soccer could easily fund a much larger post tryout level of support for Boys and Girls with the tens of millions they are paid by the TV networks but that would mean cutting back the fat going to the "suits" running programs from their offices and actually working to accomplish their "mission" of developing the best players available. In other words it "ain't gonna happen"

MLS likewise is growing revenues sufficient to provide DA down to U14.

Yes pay to play means that over half of our best soccer players can't afford to move to the highest level of play and eventually drop out but that is true of all the sports where "clubs" have replaced the schools in the development process.

Blaming ECNL for consolidating the better programs and organizing competitions is shooting the messenger not solving the problem!

Comment

The issue is simple.......... it's the Timbers attacking the ECNL because they can't control it. If one of the TA clubs had gotten in, this forum would look very different.

They are desperate and will cling to any reason to attack the ECNL.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                                the issue is simple.......... It's the timbers attacking the ecnl because they can't control it. If one of the ta clubs had gotten in, this forum would look very different.

They are desperate and will cling to any reason to attack the ecnl.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^true dat^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X