Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are right. It is about picking on the locals. The end to you, buddy.
    What part of WHOLE TEAM do you not understand ? - that includes coaches.

Comment

Which one looked good....the one who was subbed off first or the one in the back? Let’s be honest this was a failure of the system. From the selection to coaching no one is without blame. Watching the backs pass the ball back and forth and then back to the GK which then gets launched up the field to an invisible midfield is maddening. How anyone can root for that style of soccer is beyond me. Number 4 should never see the field again for the US she was that bad. I’m not sure I’ve seen a player who’s job it is to cover the post shy away from a ball like that ever.
      The defensive player wasn't horrible, hard to evaluate the forward as she barely touched the ball. The midfield was absolutely horrendous....I saw a feel good story on one of the midfielders who had to raise money to play club, maybe it was a pity call up, or maybe because her hair was in her face the whole game and she couldn't see. Either way, if this is the best the US has to offer we are in trouble!! Need to completely overhaul the selection process as I know there are better players out there.

Comment

4 years of knowing these players, as stated by the announcers.

The defensive player wasn't horrible, hard to evaluate the forward as she barely touched the ball. The midfield was absolutely horrendous....I saw a feel good story on one of the midfielders who had to raise money to play club, maybe it was a pity call up, or maybe because her hair was in her face the whole game and she couldn't see. Either way, if this is the best the US has to offer we are in trouble!! Need to completely overhaul the selection process as I know there are better players out there.

Comment

Unfair and the needing to raise money story is spot on.

Our players are big fish form a small pond of well off kids with a very few exceptions like teh fund raiser featured.

I would bet the Korean team are big fish form a much bigger pond. We are not going to compete with that with our current youth set up.

Comment

Our players are big fish form a small pond of well off kids with a very few exceptions like teh fund raiser featured.

I would bet the Korean team are big fish form a much bigger pond. We are not going to compete with that with our current youth set up.
            That korean team shut us down and capitalized on opportunities. They were the a better team pretty much player for player.

Comment

Our players are big fish form a small pond of well off kids with a very few exceptions like the fund raiser featured.

this rationalization is flawed. Instead of looking at the basics, you are reaching for excuses. Lets say you are correct and these are well off kids. Why does that mean they cant play better or compete? What does than have to do with better coaching? If the base of the pyramid is only well off kids and that impacts quality so much are you saying that poorer kids are better players because they are poor? What about the Full NT or the NWSL - both of those are products of the same system, By your logic the Full team should lose a ton of games to the likes of Korea no ?

The pool could certainly be wider but the nature of youth sports in the USA is its pay to play. Even with that, we have more than enough to do more than just compete. We should be spending the money on better scouting and coaching at all level. Instead some people are getting rich and the USSF is lazy. More interested in human interest stories like the one you mention vs actually finding players.

the return/retention rate of early IDed players is far too high and we persist in lying to ourselves about much of it. I read/listened to Mark Carr on the USSF web site

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...mens-world-cup

After a strong performance in the opener against Cameroon, the U.S. ran into a committed North Korean team which, despite handily out-shooting Germany, was stung by a 4-1 loss to the European power in its first game. Although the USA had a slight edge in possession, the physical Koreans did far more with the ball and were on the front foot for most of the match.

strong performance ? Wow. then the suggestion that it was the Koreans physicality..I mean come on. they were just better ate every phase of the game.

Until we wake up and tell ourselves the truth ....

Comment

this rationalization is flawed. Instead of looking at the basics, you are reaching for excuses. Lets say you are correct and these are well off kids. Why does that mean they cant play better or compete? What does than have to do with better coaching? If the base of the pyramid is only well off kids and that impacts quality so much are you saying that poorer kids are better players because they are poor? What about the Full NT or the NWSL - both of those are products of the same system, By your logic the Full team should lose a ton of games to the likes of Korea no ?

The pool could certainly be wider but the nature of youth sports in the USA is its pay to play. Even with that, we have more than enough to do more than just compete. We should be spending the money on better scouting and coaching at all level. Instead some people are getting rich and the USSF is lazy. More interested in human interest stories like the one you mention vs actually finding players.

the return/retention rate of early IDed players is far too high and we persist in lying to ourselves about much of it. I read/listened to Mark Carr on the USSF web site

After a strong performance in the opener against Cameroon, the U.S. ran into a committed North Korean team which, despite handily out-shooting Germany, was stung by a 4-1 loss to the European power in its first game. Although the USA had a slight edge in possession, the physical Koreans did far more with the ball and were on the front foot for most of the match.

strong performance ? Wow. then the suggestion that it was the Koreans physicality..I mean come on. they were just better ate every phase of the game.

The baloney spouted by USSF coaching just does not work when the game is broadcast. Anyone with eyes could see the product on the field. I do not know if we have right or wrong girls, but how can you play that style and expect to win against a quality opponent? We could not keep the ball and the boot it from the back was worse than a high school game. I have to think it is coaching and philosophy from USSF. They want to play direct, well now they can see to result.

Comment

No one said talent is affected by income level. I am sure there is wealthy talent and poor talent. We don't invest in any of it on the girls side. You want to learn the game? You finance your own development which stupidly includes loads of useless, expensive, destructive travel. Is what it is. Is is the American way and I doubt it will prove to be effective at producing teams that can compete with countries that subsidize player scouting and player development.

Comment

No one said talent is affected by income level. I am sure there is wealthy talent and poor talent. We don't invest in any of it on the girls side. You want to learn the game? You finance your own development which stupidly includes loads of useless, expensive, destructive travel. Is what it is. Is is the American way and I doubt it will prove to be effective at producing teams that can compete with countries that subsidize player scouting and player development.
                    the USSF subsidize player scouting and player development at a level no one else is close to. You are seeing the peak of it on display here. the best of the best. The USSF essentially take over develeopment of its hand picked group bt the issue is who they pick ( too few to early), how they refine that group( not often enough) and what they teach.

Comment

the USSF subsidize player scouting and player development at a level no one else is close to. You are seeing the peak of it on display here. the best of the best. The USSF essentially take over develeopment of its hand picked group bt the issue is who they pick ( too few to early), how they refine that group( not often enough) and what they teach.
                      Who else should they pick? Players who thumbed their noses at joining the program full-time?

Comment

Who else should they pick? Players who thumbed their noses at joining the program full-time?
                        We had one overpriced country club league already. We needed another one like we needed a hole in the head.
                        Creating a second one set development back rather then improve it. Let's all spend more time and money on hotels and plane tickets instead of training and better coaching.

Comment

We had one overpriced country club league already. We needed another one like we needed a hole in the head.
                          Creating a second one set development back rather then improve it. Let's all spend more time and money on hotels and plane tickets instead of training and better coaching.
                          Agree. So, let's put those targeted as NT quality all in one basket so they can have the oversight to follow through.

Oh, wait. Can't do that. Too much pride in clubs who would have to accept that they can't message out to their paying customers everyone on their club is NT quality....

Comment

im not starting a GDA/ECNL debate. Its on the USSF to find talent no matter where it plays. Its part of the problem here that Clubs have created this one stop shop for players and charged the parents to participate. However the Clubs are not in the business of truly filtering talent. A check is a check. In reality, neither league is high quality. Far too many teams. There is no need for age restrictions. The ball does not know age.

it seems the USSF wanted to create the same one stop shop to take the onus off scouting. AS long as the clubs are the front end it wont work. Incentives are too different.

Comment

im not starting a GDA/ECNL debate. Its on the USSF to find talent no matter where it plays. Its part of the problem here that Clubs have created this one stop shop for players and charged the parents to participate. However the Clubs are not in the business of truly filtering talent. A check is a check. In reality, neither league is high quality. Far too many teams. There is no need for age restrictions. The ball does not know age.

it seems the USSF wanted to create the same one stop shop to take the onus off scouting. AS long as the clubs are the front end it wont work. Incentives are too different.
                              The reality is if you want a team to play together, to be together, to be on the same page, they can't just do it for a few days at a time. It doesn't work that way.

You many not want to get into the debate, but everything you point to as a problem is easily solved.

Comment

The reality is if you want a team to play together, to be together, to be on the same page, they can't just do it for a few days at a time. It doesn't work that way.

You many not want to get into the debate, but everything you point to as a problem is easily solved.
                                I think you are off base. Yes they are YNTs and yes we want to win, but these teams are supposed to be building blocks for the full team. You should see players who display individual traits that you say wow. I see why they picked her - even if there are a few tactical issue. The suggestion that the issue is somehow team chemistry misses the point.

The overall technical levels are no where near high enough - poor passing, poor ball control. These are the hall marks of our win focused mentality. We do not develop a high enough technical base to build on before we are buying uniforms and worrying about who won.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X