Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options in NH

I have been doing my research on clubs and teams and i want to be sure I've got this right. For a female player in NH who does not want to play DA or ECNL (because her family honestly can't afford it), her options for a team that is higher than NEP are:

1. NPL at Seacoast
    2. NPL across the border at FC Stars but that is Northeast NPL, requiring further travel for away games

Is that it? It looks like NEFC practices in Mendon for NPL, which is too far. Maybe NEFC North or GPS NH might get a team that earns a berth in NPL A but SU and FC Stars are the only true options? Did i get that right?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have been doing my research on clubs and teams and i want to be sure I've got this right. For a female player in NH who does not want to play DA or ECNL (because her family honestly can't afford it), her options for a team that is higher than NEP are:

1. NPL at Seacoast
    2. NPL across the border at FC Stars but that is Northeast NPL, requiring further travel for away games

Is that it? It looks like NEFC practices in Mendon for NPL, which is too far. Maybe NEFC North or GPS NH might get a team that earns a berth in NPL A but SU and FC Stars are the only true options? Did i get that right?
    First of all everything depends on the player’s ability and the player and her family’s aspirations.
    Does she want to play on a competitive team and improve and play high school varsity and either not play in college or play on a low level D3 team?
    Well then there are many options nearby southern and NH including GPS NH, SU, FC Stars NH, NEFC/World Cup in Tyngsboro. All of those area teams in specific regions will get her where she wants to go, no need to play for Stars in MA. The right team and coach is very important.
    Does she want to play in college? D2 or possibly D1?
    Well you really need to play DA or ECNL so FC Stars in MA or SU are the only option for that aspiration.

Comment

Not impossible to make a D1 school by playing only in NPL/HS route, but it is harder. There is a Seacoast girl doing just that, and I believe a couple of GPS girls as well.

Now, since the GDA is very new, they "maybe" would've gone the GDA route if it were an option, but I am not sure. But, it is possible. Again, just a bit harder.

N'East NPL travel is fairly equal to ECNL, and not far off from GDA so that's a wash.

New England NPL will keep you in New England.

If you play in Stars or NEFC (and even, on occasion, GPS) and are good enough, they will offer you to send you down to their main clubs (and the associated travel). But, they remain a good starting point. Stars NH coaching is decent, I don't hold the other two in much regard based on their DoCs for girls. It will be quite some time before you see any of those in NPL A. Most of the age groups are quite a bit away from that and have been losing talent recently.

Do you have a daughter, and are you looking at a pathway? Her age may determine my next piece of info...

Comment

Not impossible to make a D1 school by playing only in NPL/HS route, but it is harder. There is a Seacoast girl doing just that, and I believe a couple of GPS girls as well.

Now, since the GDA is very new, they "maybe" would've gone the GDA route if it were an option, but I am not sure. But, it is possible. Again, just a bit harder.

N'East NPL travel is fairly equal to ECNL, and not far off from GDA so that's a wash.

If you play in Stars or NEFC (and even, on occasion, GPS) and are good enough, they will offer you to send you down to their main clubs (and the associated travel). But, they remain a good starting point. Stars NH coaching is decent, I don't hold the other two in much regard based on their DoCs for girls. It will be quite some time before you see any of those in NPL A. Most of the age groups are quite a bit away from that and have been losing talent recently.

Do you have a daughter, and are you looking at a pathway? Her age may determine my next piece of info...
        The player you are referring to I’m assuming is the one I know about as well and she’s a senior and played at SU and HS. Things have changed. 2-6 years ago top players in NH chose SU or World Cup and a few traveled to Stars in MA. The NPL teams at SU were strong and so were the teams competing in the now defunct MAPLE Leauge. With so many clubs and leagues and divisions now, NH NPL is much much lower level of play and players will find it very difficult to get to where they want to be based on coaching and exposure if they are on such teams.

Comment

The player you are referring to I’m assuming is the one I know about as well and she’s a senior and played at SU and HS. Things have changed. 2-6 years ago top players in NH chose SU or World Cup and a few traveled to Stars in MA. The NPL teams at SU were strong and so were the teams competing in the now defunct MAPLE Leauge. With so many clubs and leagues and divisions now, NH NPL is much much lower level of play and players will find it very difficult to get to where they want to be based on coaching and exposure if they are on such teams.
          Yes, it will be harder but still I won't pull out a badge and say you need this. I am a believer gems will be found wherever they are. Maybe I'm naive.

That player referred is one I don't know if would've gone the DA route anyway, knowing her family and coaching experiences. Maybe she would've. To your point, it would certainly have been another option that wasn't available to her.

What the first year of GDA proved is depth is a problem. Will be interesting to see if MA North Shore girls or some who travel out of state decide to try it. Some of the existing GDA girls will return to NPL, either because of the increased quality or the lure of HS. Maybe, just maybe, the NPL program gets back.

Having a good NPL program to supplement the HS play for those who want it may enable one to be captured. I think that's something for a discussion 4 years down the road once the youngest girls cycle out.

Comment

Thank you for this. I do have a daughter and we are looking to make a decision for U14 next year. GDA and ECNL are out as I just can't afford it, and I think Stars NPL is out too, due to travel. NEFC NPL practices about 90 minutes away. It seems SU NPL is her only option. Not sure if it's better to play SU NPL or GPS or NEFC NEP.

Obviously she's young and things change. She loves to play and wishes she could play in college someday and she's skilled but I don't have the means to get her on the right teams for possible D1. She's a very good student too, so it's probably more likely she'll end up at an academically strong D3, and I just want to help her have the best chance of playing in college if she wants to keep playing.

Comment

Thank you for this. I do have a daughter and we are looking to make a decision for U14 next year. GDA and ECNL are out as I just can't afford it, and I think Stars NPL is out too, due to travel. NEFC NPL practices about 90 minutes away. It seems SU NPL is her only option. Not sure if it's better to play SU NPL or GPS or NEFC NEP.

Obviously she's young and things change. She loves to play and wishes she could play in college someday and she's skilled but I don't have the means to get her on the right teams for possible D1. She's a very good student too, so it's probably more likely she'll end up at an academically strong D3, and I just want to help her have the best chance of playing in college if she wants to keep playing.
              Just a hunch, but I expect the SU NPL team to be improved next year. Most of the previous team went to GDA, but as they hit HS years I expect some to decline GDA and revert back to NPL so they can play HS, too.

I don't hold the other two programs in high regard, personally, at that age. 2005 is a down year in NH I think.

BTW, your thought process is spot on. Kudos.

Comment

NPL isn't all that it's cracked up to be right now, especially for the 06G age group. For example, there is little difference between most of the teams that played 06 NPL and 06 Premiership divisions of the NEP this past Fall. NEFC North 06 vs SU 06 NPL is a tossup. That said you seem focused on badges when you should be focused on coaches and finding a great one. I can count the number of great coaches in NH on less than 1 hand, but they do exist. Get your girl to a great coach with a good team for U14. After U14 though badges do start to matter. A badge is very helpful for college recruitment. However I will say this, if your kid is an elite player they will be known and noticed and there is a lot you can do on your own to get them seen, with the right connections.

Comment

1. NPL at Seacoast

What makes you think GPS is not an option? They have NPL teams at all age groups I believe.

Comment

What makes you think GPS is not an option? They have NPL teams at all age groups I believe.
                    Looking at the fall schedule, I show NPL in 2004-2005 ages. GPS NH girls aren't in either of them.

Comment

Looking at the fall schedule, I show NPL in 2004-2005 ages. GPS NH girls aren't in either of them.
                      03/02/01/00 don't play in the Fall...They are all NPL

Comment

03/02/01/00 don't play in the Fall...They are all NPL
                        Aah yes, correct. I had discounted them due to the age of the OP's daughter, but she'll be in those age groups soon enough and worth considering. After 04, though GPS NH seems a bit light in quality.

Comment

Aah yes, correct. I had discounted them due to the age of the OP's daughter, but she'll be in those age groups soon enough and worth considering. After 04, though GPS NH seems a bit light in quality.
                          GPS 03 girls NPL is the strongest team on the girls side

Comment

Just for another option to explore, Peak FC will have a couple of teams in the New England EDP.

Comment

Who? Their won’t be a New England EDP league.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X