Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please....nobody asked you about your rectum.
    To your point, we have flushed away our former delusions and are excited about the fall JV HS season. Just staying in the moment for now.

Comment

Fake news.
      So given the current presidential usage, fake news = truth?

Comment

Okay folks, I will make it simple for you and explain what's really going on here, because I think I've figured it out.

OP has a child entering 9th grade. Kid plays club soccer. Kid is going to a high school with an organized summer workout program for soccer (not all schools have this). Kid misses all or most of the summer workouts. Parent and kid think that they aren't necessary because kid is playing club. Parent and kid also expect kid to get a varsity spot based on club experience and status on club team. Kid makes JV. Parent is flabbergasted. Kid comes home with cockamamie story about hazing, likely because kid knows that parent will freak out about not making varsity and wants to have an excuse.

Now that we all know what happened, here's my advice:

First, on the tiny, tiny chance that kid is telling the truth about hazing (kid is not), you need to investigate and report that. I say investigate first because if you go into the school guns (metaphorically) blazing, you are going to be embarrassed when you find out kid wasn't being honest.

You can investigate by first telling kid you plan to report it, and watching kid's reaction. Next, ask some other parents on the team (preferably parents of a kid or kids that made varsity) if the hazing happened. My guess is you will hear about a stupid game the kids were playing when the coaches weren't running things, and your kid blew it all out of proportion.

Second, since your kid is on JV this year, consider your options. If you have a girl and are in the Portland area, Thorns are scraping the bottom of the barrel for players and this may be a good time to switch. This would be especially good advice if you didn't listen to number 1, made a big stink at the school, and found out your kid wasn't honest about the hazing - because if that happened, you probably ruined her chances for any success on her high school team going forward.

If your kid isn't a girl or doesn't live in the Portland area, consider playing for the 8th grade fall club team. Most club coaches need players to do that. Our club tells kids in that awkward year (it's the 04's this year) to play fall club if they make JV, and that they CAN do both - just come to club games when it fits their schedule. This will be a good way for your kid to stay in some semblance of shape, because the quality of JV soccer will be poor.

Third, try to figure out what you can learn from this. High school coaches and players, for the most part, can't stand the entitled club kid who waltzes in day one of tryouts expected to be handed the keys to the kingdom. Your kid may be the best soccer player on the team, but they won't make varsity as a freshman if they didn't show up for summer workouts, develop relationships with the upperclassmen and coaches, and show that they are humble and willing to work hard and contribute. HS soccer has value for a club kid - they can play just for the fun of it (as opposed to club games which in high school often become all about winning or showcasing talent in front of college coaches), they can play for team and school spirit, they can become leaders - but the club kid needs to go into it without that holier than thou "I am above this" attitude. Hopefully you and your kid learned something from this experience.

+1 spot on

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
          the member high schools decide what the osaa will regulate, outside of the moratorium week there are literally no regulations in the summer. Any level of school in the osaa is free to do whatever they choose.

The hours per week provision is specific to 'open' periods during the actual in session calendar school year.

Dates for the 2018‐19 school year
          1) osaa fall season.
          A) official practices begin for fall team sport coaches – monday, august 13 (week 7).
          B) closed period for all winter and spring team sport coaches – monday, august 13‐sunday, september 23 (weeks 7‐12).
          C) open period for all winter and spring team sport coaches – monday, september 24‐sunday, november 11 (weeks 13‐19).
          D) coaching ends for fall team sport coaches – day following last varsity contest.

2) osaa winter season.
          A) official practices begin for winter team sport coaches – monday, november 12 (week 20).
          B) closed period for all fall and spring team sport coaches – monday, november 12‐sunday, december 23 (weeks 20‐25).
          C) open period for all fall and spring team sport coaches – monday, december 24‐sunday, february 24 (weeks 26‐34).
          D) coaching ends for winter team sport coaches – day following last varsity contest.

3) osaa spring season.
          A) official practices begin for spring team sport coaches – monday, february 25 (week 35)
          b) closed period for all fall and winter team sport coaches – monday, february 25‐sunday, april 7 (weeks 35‐40).
          C) open period for all fall and winter team sport coaches – monday, april 8‐monday, may 27 (weeks 41‐47).
          D) coaching ends for spring team sport coaches – day following last varsity contest
          4) osaa summer season.

A) summer season for fall, winter, and spring team sport coaches – tuesday, may 28‐sunday, august 18 (weeks 48‐6).

B) moratorium week – sunday, july 28‐saturday, august 3 (week 4).

1. Q. Under the practice limitation rule (6a pilot), may a coach work on fundamental skill development with two students a
          day as was allowed previously?
          A. Yes, but only during the open period. During the open period coaches may work with an unlimited number of students on fundamental skill development for a maximum of six hours each week per program. All open facility times shall beincluded in the weekly limitation. During the closed period coaches are prohibited from working on fundamental skill
          development with any students.

Summer season is not considered either open or closed, it's wide open.

You need to read the 'paper' first, 'tiger'.
          ++100

Comment

Okay folks, I will make it simple for you and explain what's really going on here, because I think I've figured it out.

OP has a child entering 9th grade. Kid plays club soccer. Kid is going to a high school with an organized summer workout program for soccer (not all schools have this). Kid misses all or most of the summer workouts. Parent and kid think that they aren't necessary because kid is playing club. Parent and kid also expect kid to get a varsity spot based on club experience and status on club team. Kid makes JV. Parent is flabbergasted. Kid comes home with cockamamie story about hazing, likely because kid knows that parent will freak out about not making varsity and wants to have an excuse.

Now that we all know what happened, here's my advice:

First, on the tiny, tiny chance that kid is telling the truth about hazing (kid is not), you need to investigate and report that. I say investigate first because if you go into the school guns (metaphorically) blazing, you are going to be embarrassed when you find out kid wasn't being honest.

You can investigate by first telling kid you plan to report it, and watching kid's reaction. Next, ask some other parents on the team (preferably parents of a kid or kids that made varsity) if the hazing happened. My guess is you will hear about a stupid game the kids were playing when the coaches weren't running things, and your kid blew it all out of proportion.

Second, since your kid is on JV this year, consider your options. If you have a girl and are in the Portland area, Thorns are scraping the bottom of the barrel for players and this may be a good time to switch. This would be especially good advice if you didn't listen to number 1, made a big stink at the school, and found out your kid wasn't honest about the hazing - because if that happened, you probably ruined her chances for any success on her high school team going forward.

If your kid isn't a girl or doesn't live in the Portland area, consider playing for the 8th grade fall club team. Most club coaches need players to do that. Our club tells kids in that awkward year (it's the 04's this year) to play fall club if they make JV, and that they CAN do both - just come to club games when it fits their schedule. This will be a good way for your kid to stay in some semblance of shape, because the quality of JV soccer will be poor.

Third, try to figure out what you can learn from this. High school coaches and players, for the most part, can't stand the entitled club kid who waltzes in day one of tryouts expected to be handed the keys to the kingdom. Your kid may be the best soccer player on the team, but they won't make varsity as a freshman if they didn't show up for summer workouts, develop relationships with the upperclassmen and coaches, and show that they are humble and willing to work hard and contribute. HS soccer has value for a club kid - they can play just for the fun of it (as opposed to club games which in high school often become all about winning or showcasing talent in front of college coaches), they can play for team and school spirit, they can become leaders - but the club kid needs to go into it without that holier than thou "I am above this" attitude. Hopefully you and your kid learned something from this experience.
            This is 100% spot on!! I have seen this and experienced it.
            My daughter played club....since quit. No desire to play in college....and not good enough too. She is honest about her abilities and her dreams/aspirations. She wants to go to college, have fun, get a degree and get on with life. Soccer wont' be a part of that college experience.

That said, she played club, all the way up thru her sophomore year. She also played for her HS team too. Club coach was fine with her playing HS soccer. Said go, enjoy the experience, play for your school/spirit/rah rah/etc. She started out and played JV for 2 years. Didn't bother her or her ego. Made varsity last year...didn't play much. She goes to a very strong soccer school in the Portland Metro area. Made varsity again this year. Will not start but will play.

School has an 'optional' summer conditioning program which really means "you had better be there and be serious about it if you want to play or make the varsity"-----STRONGLY encouraged but coaches cannot say "MANDATORY"---have to say optional. Everyone that knows the coach, the system, the program....they KNOW you have to be there, ALL summer, for running, drill work, team building exercises, etc, etc.

Highly thought of ECNL club girl comes to tryouts LAST year, as a freshman....DOES NOT come all summer. Just shows up for tryouts and ASSUMES she will make varsity. Head Coach DOES NOT like her attitude nor does she like the helicopter dad.....Coach places her on JV. Dad goes ballistic. End of story, girl declines her position and doesn't play JV.

Tryouts come around this year and I ask my daughter "Did Jenny Superstar tryout this year?" Daughter says "No, she's just going to focus on her club team....she thinks HS soccer is a waste of time and doesn't think school will help her grow or develop"----probably true but EVERYONE associated with the HS program thinks it's funnier than you know what and 100% support the coach. Girl felt like she DESERVED to be on varsity due this that and the other....DID NOT respect the program, the coaches or the seniors that had put in the 4 years of blood, sweat and tears.

So, original poster nailed that squarely on the head !!

Comment

I've seen just the opposite happen. HS coach is also a club coach, has to be a rule violation. ECNL player from club he is a part of doesn't show up for summer work outs just to tryouts as a freshman and makes varsity. Granted player is probably good - but skill level difference between older deserving players is not there.

Comment

I've seen just the opposite happen. HS coach is also a club coach, has to be a rule violation. ECNL player from club he is a part of doesn't show up for summer work outs just to tryouts as a freshman and makes varsity. Granted player is probably good - but skill level difference between older deserving players is not there.
                Same at our HS. Club coach puts all the club players on varsity regardless. They know they don’t have to show up to the optional trainings, don’t need to pass the fitness tests & don’t need to do well at try outs. The upperclassmen have almost all quit because of the unfairness. Most of the top club players would make it anyway but they’d have better attitudes and work harder without the special treatment. If selection was unbiased about 6-8 of the club players don’t make varsity at all but they, their parents and their club coach can’t have their little Suzies in jv no way no how.

Comment

. . . Granted player is probably good - but skill level difference between older deserving players is not there.
                  Says the parent who's soccer knowledge and ability to differentiate such as been gained from countless hours under an umbrella focused primarily on their own daughter. Smh

Comment

Same at our HS. Club coach puts all the club players on varsity regardless. They know they don’t have to show up to the optional trainings, don’t need to pass the fitness tests & don’t need to do well at try outs. The upperclassmen have almost all quit because of the unfairness. Most of the top club players would make it anyway but they’d have better attitudes and work harder without the special treatment. If selection was unbiased about 6-8 of the club players don’t make varsity at all but they, their parents and their club coach can’t have their little Suzies in jv no way no how.
                    Yep those players who don't show up to optional trainings, oh wait did you say optional? They probably missed because they were training with their club team or playing in a club tournament. These players are playing year round and go right into high school ready to go.

Comment

Yep those players who don't show up to optional trainings, oh wait did you say optional? They probably missed because they were training with their club team or playing in a club tournament. These players are playing year round and go right into high school ready to go.
                      Agree with you on the “optional” part but not if they aren’t beating out the other players on fitness tests and in tryouts in general. The upperclassmen they are beating out are also club players but aren’t on the clubs team that has the influence on the hs coach. It’s a pure case of conflict of interest and everyone involved knows the score. OTOH soccer is rife with politics so no surprise.

Comment

Cry me a river. "Unfair" is for libtards.

Comment

This is 100% spot on!! I have seen this and experienced it.
                          My daughter played club....since quit. No desire to play in college....and not good enough too. She is honest about her abilities and her dreams/aspirations. She wants to go to college, have fun, get a degree and get on with life. Soccer wont' be a part of that college experience.

That said, she played club, all the way up thru her sophomore year. She also played for her HS team too. Club coach was fine with her playing HS soccer. Said go, enjoy the experience, play for your school/spirit/rah rah/etc. She started out and played JV for 2 years. Didn't bother her or her ego. Made varsity last year...didn't play much. She goes to a very strong soccer school in the Portland Metro area. Made varsity again this year. Will not start but will play.

School has an 'optional' summer conditioning program which really means "you had better be there and be serious about it if you want to play or make the varsity"-----STRONGLY encouraged but coaches cannot say "MANDATORY"---have to say optional. Everyone that knows the coach, the system, the program....they KNOW you have to be there, ALL summer, for running, drill work, team building exercises, etc, etc.Highly thought of ECNL club girl comes to tryouts LAST year, as a freshman....DOES NOT come all summer. Just shows up for tryouts and ASSUMES she will make varsity. Head Coach DOES NOT like her attitude nor does she like the helicopter dad.....Coach places her on JV. Dad goes ballistic. End of story, girl declines her position and doesn't play JV.Tryouts come around this year and I ask my daughter "Did Jenny Superstar tryout this year?" Daughter says "No, she's just going to focus on her club team....she thinks HS soccer is a waste of time and doesn't think school will help her grow or develop"----probably true but EVERYONE associated with the HS program thinks it's funnier than you know what and 100% support the coach. Girl felt like she DESERVED to be on varsity due this that and the other....DID NOT respect the program, the coaches or the seniors that had put in the 4 years of blood, sweat and tears.
                          So, original poster nailed that squarely on the head !!
                          just a quick aside that couldn't be passed up, 'high'ly thought of....beautiful.

At HS tryouts little deference if any from coach is shown to the student athlete who signs up for pay to play club soccer during the HS off season (especially in the greater PDX Metro area).

The Oregon business model of 'Club' soccer has devolved into a diluted mass of HS aged boys & girls teams with levels of play at u15/16 & 17 club soccer that absolutely resemble the OSAA jv2 & jv hs standard. u18/19 club soccer is similar to a HS Varsity level for sure, but most that play at this level are graduating seniors.

What would be unthinkable just 10 years ago, a landscape of HS Varsity coaches that are now more qualified and experienced than majority of the run of the mill HS aged club coaches. It's worth mentioning the coaches of top club teams (top 3 or so per age & gender) also moonlight at the HS Varsity level.

You deserve to have your noggin examined if you believe paying to play 'club soccer' has some sort of cache that makes you a varsity candidate at any 6A HS school locally. Especially with the fractured league club affiliation mess, the Timbers/Thorns DA sifting out the best talent,(in theory) and if kids were playing on nationally relevant club sides, guess what HS tryouts would be breeze to make Varsity. To wit, ad nauseam we have no elite players amongst our pay to travel & play masses.

Now, throw in a poor attitude to boot, come tryouts, it's no wonder you have landed on JV.

Comment

Club soccer has taken over much of Oregon high school soccer. Bad attitude & spoiled superstars, manager & board member parents coddling mediocre players, wealthy and squeaky wheel influence, egotistical and biased club coaches calling the shots and OSAA turning a blind eye. Personally, I love it all but it’s no wonder the DA doesn’t allow hs soccer.

Comment

Club soccer has taken over much of Oregon high school soccer. Bad attitude & spoiled superstars, manager & board member parents coddling mediocre players, wealthy and squeaky wheel influence, egotistical and biased club coaches calling the shots and OSAA turning a blind eye. Personally, I love it all but it’s no wonder the DA doesn’t allow hs soccer.
                              holy cow you're a b1tch

Comment

Agree with you on the “optional” part but not if they aren’t beating out the other players on fitness tests and in tryouts in general. The upperclassmen they are beating out are also club players but aren’t on the clubs team that has the influence on the hs coach. It’s a pure case of conflict of interest and everyone involved knows the score. OTOH soccer is rife with politics so no surprise.
                                Politics is everywhere. Just have to do the best you can and hope the kids continue to enjoy the game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X