Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are such a miserably blind TA honk, sure TA has some good players but remember they were once mixed in with this group and the list is not much different than it has been for the last 3 years even with the kids who have migrated over to TA. Forwards score, defenders defend, and most midfielders and wingbacks build up the offense and deliver assists it’s how soccer works in general. SB, AB, etc at TA are no better and I would actually take AP, AB, LW, MS, SD and several others from little DA over either of those 2 and half the rest of the TA roster and I am not alone in that assessment....
    I'm not the TA honk and not the OP. You are correct that being on leading goals list is not an indicator of quality, per se.

OTOH... I think a lot of the players you mention might struggle at the TA level. It will be interesting to see how RF adjusts--he was one of the top goalscorers for Oregon DA next year; how he does in TA will be interesting. I don't know why you like to bag on AB (the TA one who used to play for Westside) so much; he's quite good and if were back at Westside, would probably be on top of the Oregon DA leaderboard. (WT is still quite good at getting the ball into the opponent's third; but these days has little clue with what to do with it once there, as Copa's scorers went to TA).

Comment

I'm not the TA honk and not the OP. You are correct that being on leading goals list is not an indicator of quality, per se.

OTOH... I think a lot of the players you mention might struggle at the TA level. It will be interesting to see how RF adjusts--he was one of the top goalscorers for Oregon DA next year; how he does in TA will be interesting. I don't know why you like to bag on AB (the TA one who used to play for Westside) so much; he's quite good and if were back at Westside, would probably be on top of the Oregon DA leaderboard. (WT is still quite good at getting the ball into the opponent's third; but these days has little clue with what to do with it once there, as Copa's scorers went to TA).
      It’s funny you say “at the TA level”. You do realize that they play in “little DA” as well right?? Up to u/14 the Seattle market, where TA plays, is on par with Oregon and might have one or 2 good teams and 3 or 4 horrible teams that would struggle with everyone in Oregon based DA other than maybe updx or last years eastside. If any of the players mentioned “would struggle” as you profess then how are inferior players like SB and AB doing? They must be really struggling...,and by the way we can tell where your bread is buttered at westside and the 05 copa team is and was always a joke.

Comment

It’s funny you say “at the TA level”. You do realize that they play in “little DA” as well right?? Up to u/14 the Seattle market, where TA plays, is on par with Oregon and might have one or 2 good teams and 3 or 4 horrible teams that would struggle with everyone in Oregon based DA other than maybe updx or last years eastside. If any of the players mentioned “would struggle” as you profess then how are inferior players like SB and AB doing? They must be really struggling...,and by the way we can tell where your bread is buttered at westside and the 05 copa team is and was always a joke.
        Yes, I know that which is why I hesitated to say those words. In the NW, there are a few clubs that are consistently better than the rest. Most of them are in or around Seattle, where WYSA rules tend to enforce an established pecking order and keep operations like ADF or GPS from having an impact. TA is theoretically such an outfit here, having subsidized training and a more rigorous training schedule (whether that is "better" is another question). The rest of the clubs in the local DA (OR or WA) are generally going to have a smaller catchment area and offer a product similar to good non-DA first teams.

Obviously, the coaching staff at TA disagrees with you concerning the players you seem to dislike. I'll admit I'm a WT honk; and while I'm not that familiar with SB I am with AB, and he's at least as good as anyone currently at Crossfire or FC. That said, most of TA's goals come out of the midfield; having fast forwards running on to through balls (which is how quite a few of the local DA sides conduct business) stops working well once you get into the upper years of the DA program and the "little DA"s stop operating.

Comment

Obviously, the coaching staff at TA disagrees with you concerning the players you seem to dislike. I'll admit I'm a WT honk; and while I'm not that familiar with SB I am with AB, and he's at least as good as anyone currently at Crossfire or FC. That said, most of TA's goals come out of the midfield; having fast forwards running on to through balls (which is how quite a few of the local DA sides conduct business) stops working well once you get into the upper years of the DA program and the "little DA"s stop operating.
          Agreed. That is why all four of FC's goals last weekend came from their midfield.

Comment

Timbers Academy Alternative

I have read on here several times that there should be an alternative to TA. It finally appears that there will be one with FC Portland (I know some of us like to bash FC) through their new partnership with AS Roma. This will allow them to offer USSDA teams up through U18/19 competing in the same region as the Timbers Academy. For those of us that do not like the TA, it is nice to finally get an alternative to compete at the same level with arguably better resources and opportunities than those available with TA. It should be interesting come next season to see the talent that will form this team to compete for the top spot in the state. It is a bit unfortunate for the current FC Portland roster because most of them will probably not make next the USSDA team next year, but this is great for the boys who have been avoiding the TA like the plague.

https://www.asroma.com/en/teams/usa-academy

Comment

I have read on here several times that there should be an alternative to TA. It finally appears that there will be one with FC Portland (I know some of us like to bash FC) through their new partnership with AS Roma. This will allow them to offer USSDA teams up through U18/19 competing in the same region as the Timbers Academy. For those of us that do not like the TA, it is nice to finally get an alternative to compete at the same level with arguably better resources and opportunities than those available with TA. It should be interesting come next season to see the talent that will form this team to compete for the top spot in the state. It is a bit unfortunate for the current FC Portland roster because most of them will probably not make next the USSDA team next year, but this is great for the boys who have been avoiding the TA like the plague.

Interetingg about Roma. I don’t see where it allows them to offer older DA though.

Comment

Agreed. That is why all four of FC's goals last weekend came from their midfield.
                FC actually was fun to watch last weekend, without the pile of longballs to RF.

If you look at the seven goals scored by both sides, four came on set pieces, and six were scored by midfielders. (One of WT's goals was scored by a forward, but that was on a short pass from the top of the box that broke FC's line, not a longball over the top). But it was a good game, even if the final score was not to my liking.

Also was happy for the ex-WT kid that scored the winning goal for FC.

Comment

If it's just a co-branding exercise (as these things often are), it'll be just a pause on the way down.

Hopefully it's more than that, as some actual competition for TA would be a good thing for everyone.

Comment

I have read on here several times that there should be an alternative to TA. It finally appears that there will be one with FC Portland (I know some of us like to bash FC) through their new partnership with AS Roma. This will allow them to offer USSDA teams up through U18/19 competing in the same region as the Timbers Academy. For those of us that do not like the TA, it is nice to finally get an alternative to compete at the same level with arguably better resources and opportunities than those available with TA. It should be interesting come next season to see the talent that will form this team to compete for the top spot in the state.

How will this differ from GPS, or any other number of examples of European pro clubs "partnering" with American youth clubs? What will the European side provide to the American club, other than branding?

If FC starts a DA team at the older age groups (U15 and above), that would be interesting--though given the amount of travel involved (the entire West Coast, not just the Pacific Northwest), it could get expensive if not subsidized. If someone were to subsidize it, though, it would be good for Timbers to have some local competition. (I doubt that AS Roma is going to be writing checks to pay for youth academies in the US, especially since US law and USSF practice currently won't permit them to collect training compensation).

It is a bit unfortunate for the current FC Portland roster because most of them will probably not make next the USSDA team next year, but this is great for the boys who have been avoiding the TA like the plague.
                    I'm not sure that very many boys are avoiding TA. Parents? Certainly; for various reasons. (And a few are "avoiding" TA in the same sense that I'm "refusing" to date Claudia Schiffer). And there are a few local coaches that are certainly hostile to the Timbers. But most kids I know don't care about the local soccer politics, they just want to play.

Comment

Interetingg about Roma. I don’t see where it allows them to offer older DA though.
                      It is just an assumption since the other 11 Roma US Academies now have DA teams after U14.

Comment

FC actually was fun to watch last weekend, without the pile of longballs to RF.

If you look at the seven goals scored by both sides, four came on set pieces, and six were scored by midfielders. (One of WT's goals was scored by a forward, but that was on a short pass from the top of the box that broke FC's line, not a longball over the top). But it was a good game, even if the final score was not to my liking.

Also was happy for the ex-WT kid that scored the winning goal for FC.
                        To bad both teams are going to get losses this weekend!

Comment

How will this differ from GPS, or any other number of examples of European pro clubs "partnering" with American youth clubs? What will the European side provide to the American club, other than branding?

If FC starts a DA team at the older age groups (U15 and above), that would be interesting--though given the amount of travel involved (the entire West Coast, not just the Pacific Northwest), it could get expensive if not subsidized. If someone were to subsidize it, though, it would be good for Timbers to have some local competition. (I doubt that AS Roma is going to be writing checks to pay for youth academies in the US, especially since US law and USSF practice currently won't permit them to collect training compensation).

I'm not sure that very many boys are avoiding TA. Parents? Certainly; for various reasons. (And a few are "avoiding" TA in the same sense that I'm "refusing" to date Claudia Schiffer). And there are a few local coaches that are certainly hostile to the Timbers. But most kids I know don't care about the local soccer politics, they just want to play.
                          First off Claudia Schaffer??? You seriously dated yourself, and also established that in addition to be clueless about the perception of TA, you also have poor taste in women. Oh well, to each their own. You could not be more wrong about some of the better kids perception of TA. These kids that are the best in "little DA" are well aware of the political **** show that is TA. They have all played with (ODP) and competed against (and out performed more often than not) the 05 TA kids. These kids have chosen to their respected teams over TA for the right reasons. Honestly, at this age there is ZERO difference between DA and Oregon DA. ZERO. Well, there is one difference I guess....Oregon DA is developing kids. TA is ruining them.

Comment

To bad both teams are going to get losses this weekend!
                            Wring. Calling it now, FC downs Crossfire easily, and it will not even be close. Crossfire always soils themselves when they come to our house. We are their Daddy.

Comment

Wring. Calling it now, FC downs Crossfire easily, and it will not even be close. Crossfire always soils themselves when they come to our house. We are their Daddy.
                              Hahaha! I know that this is a joke. Crossfire has shown so far this year that they are quite possibly the best Oregon DA team and FC has been mediocre with a 1-1-1 record. On top of that, FC has yet to score a goal against Crossfire in the two meetings this year!

Comment

First off Claudia Schaffer??? You seriously dated yourself, and also established that in addition to be clueless about the perception of TA, you also have poor taste in women. Oh well, to each their own. You could not be more wrong about some of the better kids perception of TA. These kids that are the best in "little DA" are well aware of the political **** show that is TA. They have all played with (ODP) and competed against (and out performed more often than not) the 05 TA kids. These kids have chosen to their respected teams over TA for the right reasons. Honestly, at this age there is ZERO difference between DA and Oregon DA. ZERO. Well, there is one difference I guess....Oregon DA is developing kids. TA is ruining them.
                                Yeah, I'm old. So what? Next time I use this analogy, I'll write in "Bo Derek" just to annoy you. (Plus, I'm happily married anyway).

At any rate... as I have long suspected, this is a bunch of ODP jealousy. Thanks for making that abundantly clear. What coaches look for in 11-year-old boys is not necessarily who wins a given individual battle at that age, especially if there is a noticeable difference in size or development.

At any rate, it's almost assured that no more than one or two 05 boys will ever have a pro career, and the number could easily wind up being zero.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X