Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Has the HS ban changed? Last year, HS seniors could play both but had to take a ‘leave’ from GDA during HS season. It looks like they are allowed to do both at the same time now. Is this only for seniors?
    Seniors in private school can get waivers.

Comment

Seniors in private school can get waivers.
      But they aren’t supposed to do both at same time even with waiver.

Academy is about sacrificing. You can advance in life if you cut corners.

Comment

But they aren’t supposed to do both at same time even with waiver.

Academy is about sacrificing. You can advance in life if you cut corners.
        It is all up to US Soccer and the Thorns Academy.

US Soccer could allow, but the Thorns may not.

Do you think it was US Soccer who said you can only get a waiver if your HS team reached a certain stage in playoffs the previous year? The Thorns made up that rule to accommodate a group of players they needed who were not going to play for them otherwise

Comment

It is all up to US Soccer and the Thorns Academy.

US Soccer could allow, but the Thorns may not.

Do you think it was US Soccer who said you can only get a waiver if your HS team reached a certain stage in playoffs the previous year? The Thorns made up that rule to accommodate a group of players they needed who were not going to play for them otherwise
          thorns don’t have to follow the rules. Other clubs don’t so no one cares.

It would really help recruiting if they didn’t force kids to quit high school sports.

Comment

thorns don’t have to follow the rules. Other clubs don’t so no one cares.

It would really help recruiting if they didn’t force kids to quit high school sports.
            Bingo

Comment

Thorns is just another option for kids. Nobody said they were better or worse than other clubs. It really just comes down to who wants to work hard to get better. If the B teamers that your refer to work hard, someday maybe they will be A teamers and that’s the goal to get better. The overall soccer quality in Oregon is middle of the road so we’re not talking big time wherever you go. Just have fun.
              Yeah soccer quality in Oregon is middle of the road.

Comment

Rumor has it some DA kids are playing high school simultaneously playing DA teams. Is thorns going to allow this?

US Soccer doesn’t appear to care what anybody does.

It might really help their recruiting efforts.

Comment

Rumor has it some DA kids are playing high school simultaneously playing DA teams. Is thorns going to allow this?

US Soccer doesn’t appear to care what anybody does.

It might really help their recruiting efforts.
                  Thorns girls got to play high school last year. But those players were really good so they had to cave to their demands.

Comment

Thorns girls got to play high school last year. But those players were really good so they had to cave to their demands.
                    The only parents that complain about DA players playing high school are the ones who's kids were going to finally get to start and be the star.

Comment

The only parents that complain about DA players playing high school are the ones who's kids were going to finally get to start and be the star.
                      Some of those players end up going back to HS soccer and their kid is still not the star.

Comment

Some of those players end up going back to HS soccer and their kid is still not the star.
                        Watched my daughter's DA games and watched her HS play the same week. There is no comparison. HS soccer is rarely competitive and I'm guessing the DA girls are gaining a development advantage by foregoing HS. HS soccer is similar to mid-tier OYSA.

Comment

Watched my daughter's DA games and watched her HS play the same week. There is no comparison. HS soccer is rarely competitive and I'm guessing the DA girls are gaining a development advantage by foregoing HS. HS soccer is similar to mid-tier OYSA.

So you gain a 2 month development advantage by foregoing HS soccer. Is it really going to give your daughter an overall advantage?

There is not a one answer for all and there are different factors that come into plays such as player's personality, quality of players on various teams (DA, ECNL, HS, etc..), HS training environment, etc....

Playing HS then going to play ECNL is not going to put her far behind someone who has played DA all year. A 10 months season is a very long season.

Depending on what age group there are plenty of bad teams in the DA.

Comment

The DA started last year and it was new to every one.

Year 1:

You had a group of girls who had waivers and were allowed to play HS and then DA. You also had a group of players who skipped HS soccer.

Year 2:

You have a group of players who played DA who went back to HS Soccer. Are there any 10, 11, or 12 graders who played HS last year and this year decided that DA is a better option? There is a reason why some of the top clubs pulled out of DA. It was not because HS soccer is great soccer.

Comment

There isn't supposed to be a comparison. Nobody plays high school soccer for a great soccer experience. They play it for the fun times and camaraderie.

While the DA is on a two month break, my DD who plays high school soccer, will leap frog the DA girls.

The girls I know that did DA last year did not appear to get much better and in fact they seems to be less fit than they started.

There is value in life balance.

I honestly couldn't care less who plays HS or DA, but for anyone to say that doing DA is better in the big picture - good for you I am glad you like it. But I call BS if anyone says either is better.

Comment

High school last week we had over 300 people in attendance. The student section was having fun. The girls loved getting showered with attention.

DA games get two parents and a stray dog show up.

To each their own.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X