Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Girls academy just didn’t work in Oregon. Sometimes you build it and they still don’t come because they’re already playing on a better team. NE are girls academy is dead after two years. Top national clubs like Hawks and Slammers already quit and went back to ECNL. 99.9% of girls want college not pro soccer careers so the lure simply isn’t there for very many.
    You may want to send your narrative to the D1 Head Coaches across this great nation, they attend all DA events over all other forms of youth club soccer.

100% of college coaches agree the DA has the best of the best players for both Boys & Girls.

US youth National Teams also select almost exclusively from just DA platform.

Sorry you were out of the loop. The more you know.

Comment

It’s true that the elite talents don’t have to give up anything. You try to tell them what to do but they are calling the shots. Teen girls like to play for their school in front of crowds. That’s just a fact. Sorry.
      I’m sick of hearing that elite players skip thorns. So what. Nobody is saying it’s elite. It is what it is and the kids are trying hard. It feels like they get put down when they are just kids. Would you say that to your kid or grandkid?

Let the kids play without putting them down.

Comment

It’s true that the elite talents don’t have to give up anything. You try to tell them what to do but they are calling the shots. Teen girls like to play for their school in front of crowds. That’s just a fact. Sorry.
        The elite players that sign with the top colleges in the Nation are praised by their future coaches for giving up rec hs and playing DA year round. The top elite D1 coach wants the best player possible it's the same reason he brings i international players in his/her recruiting class, they play at high level all year-no rec HS.

The Academy level players are the lionshare of the elite level players and college coaches love the fact they never play in HS. They want diamonds not rubble.

Oregon has no elite players so it makes no difference what they do. When one emerges they won't be giving up DA to play HS, they worked to hard to become elite and then waste their time play rec soccer in HS.

Comment

I’m sick of hearing that elite players skip thorns. So what. Nobody is saying it’s elite. It is what it is and the kids are trying hard. It feels like they get put down when they are just kids. Would you say that to your kid or grandkid?

Let the kids play without putting them down.
          Leave the kids alone and let them play. No reason to be a jerk.

Comment

$4000? Why is it four grand when boys are free? That ain’t gonna help get better players with higher cost. You probably get less quality players than if it was free. Can’t Timbers afford to pay for it all?
            I think the $4000 per year is reasonable. Other reasons why it’s a tough sell.

Comment

This is so wrong. Why do they think they can get away with it? Things need to chance.

Comment

I like playing against my 8 year old nieces it's fun, so I'm giving up playing for the National team, a high level college & my DA team, because I want to take off 8 weeks and play the relatives for giggles.

I'm think I'm an elite teen, but now my national team coach, DA coach & future college all believe I'm mentally damaged.

My verbal has been rescinded, kicked off the DA side and out of the National team pool.
                Left playing with the relatives in the side yard.

I thought I called all the shots. Great advice.

These are in fact called consequences.

Comment

The Academy level players are the lionshare of the elite level players and college coaches love the fact they never play in HS. They want diamonds not rubble.

Oregon has no elite players so it makes no difference what they do. When one emerges they won't be giving up DA to play HS, they worked to hard to become elite and then waste their time play rec soccer in HS.[/QUOTE]

Part of what you say resonates with me for an elite player for many years of their youth. But part of me cannot let go of the fact that some elite players or clubs will continue to play in a league like ECNL that is supportive for HS play for reasons other than play level (leadership skills, etc) or more supportive of other commitments than soccer from time to time in general such as cross training body and mind with other sports or educational activities.

I agree with this article.

https://www.soccertoday.com/nc-coura...s-high-school/

The more US Soccer supports a league structure that encourages all the best players to be one league the better for US Womens Soccer. They are failing on this mission right now by not finding a compromise. There is one posed in this article, but others exist like a block of time that each DA player can miss in a 10 month season for outside commitments. Maybe 20 or so hours total. So a kid that has knowledge bowl or soccer or another sport or a study abroad 10 day trip etc. can use this bucket of PTO type hours to balance their life if need be and maybe gain skills they can use on the soccer field too. Multi-sport or multi-talented human beings if they are elite players can benefit from this flexibility and reality check, if they are elite, 20 hours of missed time in an aggressive 10 month season is not going to affect a driven kid.

Comment

$4000? Why is it four grand when boys are free? That ain’t gonna help get better players with higher cost. You probably get less quality players than if it was free. Can’t Timbers afford to pay for it all?
                    The $4,000 isn’t the main reason elite players are choosing other paths.

Comment

Why would they give up national team to have fun and play in front of their peers? Soccer is not supposed to be fun. Get that through your thick skull.

Comment

Part of what you say resonates with me for an elite player for many years of their youth. But part of me cannot let go of the fact that some elite players or clubs will continue to play in a league like ECNL that is supportive for HS play for reasons other than play level (leadership skills, etc) or more supportive of other commitments than soccer from time to time in general such as cross training body and mind with other sports or educational activities.
                        Modern day both USYS and US Club don't mess with their former HS pull out issue, USYS use to have ODP conflicts and US CLub had Showcase that overlapped with HS Soccer championships.

US Soccer will manage their own programs on how to create the best National Teams possible. The DA is under their control. If you want them to allow the Nation's best to be afforded the opportunity to play HS, go and convince them.

The demotion of USYS and US Club leagues due to the creation of both a Boys & Girls DA is just a harsh reality for some of these clubs not selected.

US Club (ecnl) prior to the DA held 'cattle calls' aka National Showcases during many HS state associations playoffs and HS championship weekends, prior to the formation of the DA they (US Club members) pushed the club kids to skip the culmination of a HS season (playoffs) because being seen by coaches at their event was a better deal than a tin HS trophy.

What the US Club did to these kids what criminal asking them to skip/miss HS Playoffs to attend a college Showcase.

At least it's all up front with the DA No H = Yes DA.

Transparency is better than hypocrisy. Jus sayin.

Spinning so hard you forget the past.

Comment

Gda is struggling to get good players. Need to change their approach if they want to improve.

Comment

Maybe because they can’t make any money on girls? Just a guess I really have no idea.

Comment

Gda is struggling to get good players. Need to change their approach if they want to improve.
                              Seems you are struggling with creation of the DA, notably for Girls. That's on you and they have free rent space in your head. Need to let it go and enjoy rec soccer in Oregon.

Comment

Modern day both USYS and US Club don't mess with their former HS pull out issue, USYS use to have ODP conflicts and US CLub had Showcase that overlapped with HS Soccer championships.

US Soccer will manage their own programs on how to create the best National Teams possible. The DA is under their control. If you want them to allow the Nation's best to be afforded the opportunity to play HS, go and convince them.

The demotion of USYS and US Club leagues due to the creation of both a Boys & Girls DA is just a harsh reality for some of these clubs not selected.

US Club (ecnl) prior to the DA held 'cattle calls' aka National Showcases during many HS state associations playoffs and HS championship weekends, prior to the formation of the DA they (US Club members) pushed the club kids to skip the culmination of a HS season (playoffs) because being seen by coaches at their event was a better deal than a tin HS trophy.

What the US Club did to these kids what criminal asking them to skip/miss HS Playoffs to attend a college Showcase.

At least it's all up front with the DA No H = Yes DA.

Transparency is better than hypocrisy. Jus sayin.

Spinning so hard you forget the past.
                                Thanks for this history lesson thru your eyes. We agree on something, “being up front”. Playing other sports (not prohibited but nearly impossible as DA comes first) or HS soccer on some bogus waiver is hypocritical and I am not for it. I am supporting my opinion here and in other places and “yes” the DA may just listen to the collective voices out there or not, but especially when they start getting louder from folks like the coach of the N.C. Courage in the article link I posted recently on this discussion board.

We will disagree though on a couple points. You state an elite player would not want to play HS Soccer and while I personally agree with this rule for many reasons, many players and parents do not and as a result we are not seeing the GDA league include all the best players. So facts are not on your opinion’s side. This is a real challenge for the GDA because enough folks are not assimilating to the philosophy of this rule and for the betterment of the league to include all the top players, it must be addressed or dilution will reign. Additionally, I fundamentally am opposed to lack of diverse experiences and athletic opportunities in the formative years of 12-17. Even boys in academies in Europe play basketball at night!! The brain and the body benefit from cross training. US Soccer would be wise to figure out how to prioritize some time for this within the structure of “DA comes first” rules. Soo much evidence in support of this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X