Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

07 DA boy team placement

I'm new here (to this forum) I have read a lot of threads today and seen a lot of "discussion" and arguments regarding the DA program and youth soccer in general. I have a '07 son who has advanced to the top of his city classic team a year up ('06) and live in Clackamas County.

I'm looking into DA programs at his age level. It's hard for him to keep playing at a high level when his teammates aren't as motivated to work as he is. I'm looking at Crossfire Oregon as the closest physical available option, but perhaps Eastside Timbers is higher in quality and would warrant the extra travel week in and week out? I'm feeling pretty lost and overwhelmed and it seems if you read enough everyone hates all of the clubs and the youth soccer system.

Assuming the fact that we missed tryouts wasn't as issue (it very well may be), which team would you choose (or perhaps another option) and why?

Thanks.

Stay as far away from anything with the "Timbers" name on it as you can. Do that and you'll be happy with the result.

Comment

Call the clubs. Talk to the coach. Observe a practice. Look for a situation that will inspire your player. Try to find a coach that will connect with your player. Don't worry too much about win/loss record. Get your player as much playing time as possible; given the DA substitution rules, try to find a club where your player will be one of the top 7-8. You won't get much from this forum as you will when you see for yourself. You should call every DA club.

Comment

Eastside Timbers won't be offering a DA program next season. Crossfire has a good program, and often trains in West Linn. Don't know if they have an opening, and they don't then you probably would be looking at a WUFC team.

Westside has a good program overall and a good coach, but you would have the commute to practice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the suggestions. Sounds like I’m on the right track. It’s tough to leave the team you’ve been playing with for many years, but my young player is very self motivated and driven to touch the ball every day. I just want to put him in the right situation to grow.

Comment

top local DA clubs (in my opinion) beside TA are Washington Timbers, Crossfire. If your son is a quality player, club will open spot for him--in general, so take your boy to one of the practice and talk to the coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X