Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain u?

Anyone actually pay for this recruiting site?
    We get emails from them constantly telling us my DD is a match, etc.
    My gut tells me its not worth it.
    Thoughts?

IMHO......
    1)Work with your child to determine what schools they would like to play soccer at. This is the time where you/they need to be truly honest with yourself and help direct the child into the true class of play that they will succeed in, D1, D2, D3 or NAIA (in no particular order). If you do not know, go watch some games at each of the levels (all available in the Portland area), and look at the speed, size and skill level. Determine whether you child wants to be a Student (first) Athlete or an Athlete-Student (remember D1 is year round and a different pressure since the league rules allow more coaching contact than a D2/D3/NAIA school has) and where her skills might be at current progression.Remember, there can only be 11 on the field and most D1 rosters contain 30-40 athletes (not all getting scholorships).
    2)Once you decide on pathway, Save the money from the Captain U's and those programs and schedule ID Camps at those few schools. That is where the child can determine whether coaching style, current players, etc. are the right fit. That will be money better spent than a service that will farm your child's name to all schools, regardless of location, etc.
    3)Once a "Fit" is determined by your child and your family needs, the child needs to market themselves, intensly! That means continuous emails to those coaches on desires to play at their school, time/location of games that they are playing in, invites to watch there games, tournament schedules. They/you need to work with your Club Coach to make sure they are inviting them to practices, etc.
    *A key/useful thing is to ask the college coach if you/your child can attend a couple of practices. This is useful to see how they really coach/prepare their team for the games/season. This is where their true coaching/motivating style comes out. Not much coaching really occurs during games, more strategic adjustments.

As a former manager, I will say that the way they got your child's information is thru registration at a tournament/showcase as a mandatory step in the application process. Unfortunately, it is not due to a coach seeing them and contacting Captain U to contact you.
    Remember, every tournament is a money-maker for the hosting club. many with use all available opportunities, like "Stay and Play" and requiring a team to submit all their roster names to a recruiting program, like Captain U. Remember, there are commissions paid to the host club for these.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughtful response!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Anyone actually pay for this recruiting site?
        We get emails from them constantly telling us my DD is a match, etc.
        My gut tells me its not worth it.
        Thoughts?
        nah. contact the schools and coaches she is interested in, directly. their emails are listed on their website.

Comment

Don't spend a dime on it. You'll just get mass emails for camps that help a school's recruiting budget.

The only thing I would add to that post above is that you also need to talk to your club coach or DOC about what is an appropriate level/type of programs your kids should target. Do that before they start researching schools and programs. Lots of kids want to play at Stanford, but that ain't happening for almost any of them. The better they target the right programs for them the higher the likelihood of success.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Don't spend a dime on it. You'll just get mass emails for camps that help a school's recruiting budget.

The only thing I would add to that post above is that you also need to talk to your club coach or DOC about what is an appropriate level/type of programs your kids should target. Do that before they start researching schools and programs. Lots of kids want to play at Stanford, but that ain't happening for almost any of them. The better they target the right programs for them the higher the likelihood of success.
            Bump.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X