Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Soccer

I wanted to check the pulse of Oregon soccer. A lot of changes over the last few years, how is it working out? Do we need a course correction or should we continue down this road.

First: Competitive soccer is almost exclusively OPL. Are we better off, worse, or the same as with OYSA?

Second: Relative to competitive soccer the Portland Timbers have formed a three team alliance. How does this affect the club landscape? Was there a noticeable influx of youth players to these clubs or did it have the opposite effect?

Third: The Timbers have taken over boys and girls ODP. Better or worse:

Forth: MLS has mandated the Timbers have boys U-16 and U-18 academy programs. Only two games in but what is your perception. Are the Timbers on the right track?

Last: Over the last two years a major change to Portland soccer has been the Portland Timbers / MLS style. Has this been a positive or negative.

Other:

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wanted to check the pulse of Oregon soccer. A lot of changes over the last few years, how is it working out? Do we need a course correction or should we continue down this road.

First: Competitive soccer is almost exclusively OPL. Are we better off, worse, or the same as with OYSA?

Second: Relative to competitive soccer the Portland Timbers have formed a three team alliance. How does this affect the club landscape? Was there a noticeable influx of youth players to these clubs or did it have the opposite effect?

Forth: MLS has mandated the Timbers have boys U-16 and U-18 academy programs. Only two games in but what is your perception. Are the Timbers on the right track?

Last: Over the last two years a major change to Portland soccer has been the Portland Timbers / MLS style. Has this been a positive or negative.

Other:
    1. Only change from OPL to OYSA is the NWCL for the younger ages. May have happened with OYSA, who knows.

2. Is a joke. New names new uniforms same coaches. Like the OPL lots of hype but everyting stays the same.

3. Same coaches and staff. The cost to the player sky rocketed due to OYSA not contributing money from player fees. OPL has no desire to help ODP (no saying they should)

4. Just a club program with club coaches. Thought there would be something more to this.

5. Just the USL Timbers trying to play MLS. The crowd is the best in MLS the Timbers themselves are bush league pro's at best.

Comment

1. Only change from OPL to OYSA is the NWCL for the younger ages. May have happened with OYSA, who knows.

2. Is a joke. New names new uniforms same coaches. Like the OPL lots of hype but everyting stays the same.

3. Same coaches and staff. The cost to the player sky rocketed due to OYSA not contributing money from player fees. OPL has no desire to help ODP (no saying they should)

4. Just a club program with club coaches. Thought there would be something more to this.

5. Just the USL Timbers trying to play MLS. The crowd is the best in MLS the Timbers themselves are bush league pro's at best.
      Well "Scrooge" has spoken. Anyone else? Can you say ... glass half empty!

Comment

Other:
        1. I think it is better under OPL, has held prices roughly the same the past few years due to no QT's/PQT's. Cost for league and State Cup has remained pretty flat as well. OYSA was raising fees each year we of course passed on to us parents. I believe the OPL club fees have remained pretty flat the past few years, at least ours has. The leagues themselves have the same issues, refs, scheduling etc but I didn't expect that to change that much anyhow

2. We are not in a club that is part of the Alliance but from an outsider it doesn't seem to be much different then a few patches on the uniforms. I don't believe they have attracted many new players just because they are alligned with the Timbers. All three clubs would likely have attracted some players on their own as they are good clubs in the own right. They might be receiving some benefits that we don't see and that is good for them.

3. To early to tell on the girl's side and most likely the boy's as well. I have noticed a few new coaches in the program so time will tell if this is better or not. unfortunately the cost did go up for the RTC's this year so I guess that is a negative.

4. Again, to early to tell. From what I have heard the very best players didn't come out so that doesn't help but overall the kids are getting to play in a great league for roughly 500.00, for those kids that is a huge positive regardless of what people say about the coaching. Concern is how the Timbers are paying for the program, seems to be through the ODP program. I hope this is not the case

5. Overall positive, has increased soccer in the media and gotten more people at least watching the game we all love

Comment

1. I think it is better under OPL, has held prices roughly the same the past few years due to no QT's/PQT's. Cost for league and State Cup has remained pretty flat as well. OYSA was raising fees each year we of course passed on to us parents. I believe the OPL club fees have remained pretty flat the past few years, at least ours has. The leagues themselves have the same issues, refs, scheduling etc but I didn't expect that to change that much anyhow

2. We are not in a club that is part of the Alliance but from an outsider it doesn't seem to be much different then a few patches on the uniforms. I don't believe they have attracted many new players just because they are alligned with the Timbers. All three clubs would likely have attracted some players on their own as they are good clubs in the own right. They might be receiving some benefits that we don't see and that is good for them.

3. To early to tell on the girl's side and most likely the boy's as well. I have noticed a few new coaches in the program so time will tell if this is better or not. unfortunately the cost did go up for the RTC's this year so I guess that is a negative.

4. Again, to early to tell. From what I have heard the very best players didn't come out so that doesn't help but overall the kids are getting to play in a great league for roughly 500.00, for those kids that is a huge positive regardless of what people say about the coaching. Concern is how the Timbers are paying for the program, seems to be through the ODP program. I hope this is not the case

5. Overall positive, has increased soccer in the media and gotten more people at least watching the game we all love
          Good post, at least this person thought it through.

1. Had forgotten how the league fees, club cards, state cup etc seemed to increase each year with OYSA. OPL while it has it faults too as kept the fees down which has in turn kept club fees somewhat flat the past few years.

2. Would agree but we are also an outsider looking in but doesn't seem to have created a large group of kids going to these three clubs.

3. Still seems to be the same as when OYSA was running it, same people for the most part. Same issues we had in the past.

4. Would agree, still to early to tell. It is a huge benefit to those families playing. Are we all paying for that in increased ODP fees? I believe we are, the ODP coaches don't make much money and the field fees can't be that much. Would think that Adidas gives the Timbers all the gear or at a very reduced rate. If all of this is true then where does the 480.00 per person go? My guess is to help subsidize the boys U16 and U18 USDA teams.

5. Has been a positive overall, much more interest in soccer now from the average Portlander

Comment

Regarding #2, you all must be referring to girls side. From what I see on the boys side, boys have moved to the Timbers Alliance clubs and away from the other clubs. Of course this is a grossly generalized statement but that is what I see. They are getting more numbers, they are getting stronger. Since the boys side actually leads to the Academy, U23, and MLS, I don't think this is too surprising.

Comment

Regarding #2, you all must be referring to girls side. From what I see on the boys side, boys have moved to the Timbers Alliance clubs and away from the other clubs. Of course this is a grossly generalized statement but that is what I see. They are getting more numbers, they are getting stronger. Since the boys side actually leads to the Academy, U23, and MLS, I don't think this is too surprising.
              I was talking about both sides, I didn't see a lot of movement at the younger ages this past May at tryouts on either the boys or the girls.

Comment

I was talking about both sides, I didn't see a lot of movement at the younger ages this past May at tryouts on either the boys or the girls.
                And the younger ages are where you would expect a larger shift. The example that sticks out most to me is FC Portland. They are usually strong at every age group but I think they dropped off at U10 and U11 for the boys. I heard U10 was very low turnout (admittedly, heard that somewhere on this forum). I know for sure that their U11 team dropped off. Whereas the numbers and quality at WT, ET, and VT were much stronger at these ages. I think this is telling.

Comment

My thoughts

I have not noticed a change between the OPL and OYSA. To me the only thing that has changed is the regionals.

I am not sure about the EST, WST and VT. They all seem to be the ESUFC adn WSM and VUFC still. To early to tell.

ODP was not upgraded by the Timbers just moved under the Portland Timbers brand and the cost went up

The DA, way to early to tell and with the new 10 month season all the DA team are getting used to it.

The Timbers themselves, love the team hate the management.

Comment

Other:
                    First: OPL definitely has the highest level of competition. OYSA's continued attempts to be the organization of record is just noise. It would be best for them to coordinate with OPL.

Second: I think it's too early to tell if the Timbers triad will draw the best players. Some players have moved, but mostly I've seen players move towards the clubs that were successful last year and this is the same as in the past.

Third: Again too early to tell if ODP will improve. We have four players on our club team that were on ODP last year, two that were selected to regional team. They're not the best players on our team and don't seem to know how to play the game like I would expect out of ODP. So we'll see what happens this year. The only other comments I've heard is that ODP is more expensive than last year.

Fourth: Don't know about the U16/U18 teams.

Last: Haven't seen any change to Portland soccer with the Timbers involvement in Youth soccer except that the three Timbers teams are kind of a joke now with all having the same names and same uniforms.

Comment

WST almost doubled their tryout numbers this May for boys and girls. Girls are still half the size of the boys. The alliance affiliation seemed to help as there was not too much different. They have 2 new coaches on the younger boys side and 1 coach that has 3 girls teams. Not sure how this would drive up the numbers so dramatically.

Comment

WST almost doubled their tryout numbers this May for boys and girls. Girls are still half the size of the boys. The alliance affiliation seemed to help as there was not too much different. They have 2 new coaches on the younger boys side and 1 coach that has 3 girls teams. Not sure how this would drive up the numbers so dramatically.
                        The numbers were also much higher with VT, at least w the boys. I don't know on the girls.

Comment

And the younger ages are where you would expect a larger shift. The example that sticks out most to me is FC Portland. They are usually strong at every age group but I think they dropped off at U10 and U11 for the boys. I heard U10 was very low turnout (admittedly, heard that somewhere on this forum). I know for sure that their U11 team dropped off. Whereas the numbers and quality at WT, ET, and VT were much stronger at these ages. I think this is telling.
                          ET and WST have always had strong teams at U10 and U11. Nothing has changed there. FC is doing just fine it seems to me. Every year clubs have some good teams and some not so good teams. Even the stronger clubs this happens with. If you look at U12-U14 boys FC is in first or second place. I heard even THUSC doubled their numbers for boys this year.

Comment

ET and WST have always had strong teams at U10 and U11. Nothing has changed there. FC is doing just fine it seems to me. Every year clubs have some good teams and some not so good teams. Even the stronger clubs this happens with. If you look at U12-U14 boys FC is in first or second place. I heard even THUSC doubled their numbers for boys this year.
                            THUSC only grew at u11, they picked up an entire team worth of boys that were cut from WT and they finally had a very solid group that was developed at u10. No major surge of players.

FC PDX is growing again. They are finally getting back to what made them a solid club from the first place. FC PDX will always be a competitive option of their own.

WT, VT and ET will grow because of their alliance. The alliance isn't so much with the Timbers, but more with each other. My vote, if they can figure out how to do something with their arrangement, they will become very strong. The Timbers part is just a little side bonus fun fact that doesn't do too much.

OSSA will continue to grow and be self-suffiecient by their abilities to tap into rec programs at the younger age and suburban communities. Their numbers will always be strong as long as they are able to continue to provide an elite level of soccer experience from u15+.

THUSC will have a large growth once they can find their niche and keep it. It has to be something other than the rest. Not dogging them. Their club has a lot of good and potential for much more. It's just a matter of finding it and executing consistently.

The SW WA, as annoying as all the banter is, has brought more teams and more competition to the Portland Metro area and has provided a more cost efficient opportunity for their kids instead of having to travel to Seattle all the time. The closer relationship with Portland has only improved the area.

The other clubs in the area will always continue to put out competitive programs and the occasional strong team or two.

Overall, I'm very happy with all that's going on in the big picture of Portland, OR soccer landscape.

Comment

THUSC only grew at u11, they picked up an entire team worth of boys that were cut from WT and they finally had a very solid group that was developed at u10. No major surge of players.

FC PDX is growing again. They are finally getting back to what made them a solid club from the first place. FC PDX will always be a competitive option of their own.

WT, VT and ET will grow because of their alliance. The alliance isn't so much with the Timbers, but more with each other. My vote, if they can figure out how to do something with their arrangement, they will become very strong. The Timbers part is just a little side bonus fun fact that doesn't do too much.

OSSA will continue to grow and be self-suffiecient by their abilities to tap into rec programs at the younger age and suburban communities. Their numbers will always be strong as long as they are able to continue to provide an elite level of soccer experience from u15+.

THUSC will have a large growth once they can find their niche and keep it. It has to be something other than the rest. Not dogging them. Their club has a lot of good and potential for much more. It's just a matter of finding it and executing consistently.

The SW WA, as annoying as all the banter is, has brought more teams and more competition to the Portland Metro area and has provided a more cost efficient opportunity for their kids instead of having to travel to Seattle all the time. The closer relationship with Portland has only improved the area.

The other clubs in the area will always continue to put out competitive programs and the occasional strong team or two.

Overall, I'm very happy with all that's going on in the big picture of Portland, OR soccer landscape.
                              Thanks, good overview for some of the clubs. Of course there are more like those not in Portland area that may have a different perspective and always room for improvement.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X