Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You can't add in ODP costs as a part of getting to college. ODP is about getting additional training and playing with girls who are from other states. It's about what ecnl isn't about- development and idividual competition. ECNL is just about exposure. So in reality the only comparison for costs is league fees and showcase fees. Just like regionals are about team competition and not exposure. Is about proving how good your team is. If you are on en ecnl team the best thing you can do at these showcases is to be selfish and out for yourself. Being a team player isn't in your best interests. Only pass when it benefits you. Otherwise shoot. Why setup a teammate to score so she can get the glory unless it's only because of a great pass from you? It's just like in any tryout. Make yourself look good, screw your teammates and the team.
    I don't think any of the costs should be associated with a part of getting to college, ECNL, thorns academy, ODP or the Y for that matter is about choosing what youth experience seems best for your child, right now. However, I will say I disagree with your comparison and contrast of ODP vs ECNL. I am not saying the ECNL is the best thing since sliced bread, but it is a sliced bread option in 2016. It doesn't really matter what was available a few years ago, ODP is not what it was. For older girls it is the Thorns academy and that means giving up your club and doing what was an add on, now all the time. And as far as the ECNL model being about being an individual player, hopefully kids figure out quick it is not and get the most out of it. When our team plays well as a team, many girls get interest from schools, when they do not play as a team, no one does even though there are 50 plus coaches on the sidelines! In our experience, ODP was completely about the individual, especially since you are trying to get the nod to the next level. And ECNL not being about development? The training 3 days a week, every week, is about development. Is it the best development, well since I am not a soccer coach, I don't know, but it is better than the other options right now in the Portland area, at least for my child, and honestly, that is what matters, and that is all that should matter for each parent. Times will change, and down the road someone will be saying...."if we only had ECNL like we used to...." or "if we only had the thorns academy like we used to", the bottom line is everyone, has to do what they find the best for their daughter and that is it. It is ALL expensive. Paying club fees, travel, etc with club plus ODP was expensive, thorns academy is expensive, ECNL is expensive. It sucks, but it is what it is. Debating what the cost is, is ridiculous. Basically, just like buying a car, have a budget and buy the model that best fits your needs, your wants, and your budget, and let your neighbor buy whatever car they want.

Comment

I don't think any of the costs should be associated with a part of getting to college, ECNL, thorns academy, ODP or the Y for that matter is about choosing what youth experience seems best for your child, right now. However, I will say I disagree with your comparison and contrast of ODP vs ECNL. I am not saying the ECNL is the best thing since sliced bread, but it is a sliced bread option in 2016. It doesn't really matter what was available a few years ago, ODP is not what it was. For older girls it is the Thorns academy and that means giving up your club and doing what was an add on, now all the time. And as far as the ECNL model being about being an individual player, hopefully kids figure out quick it is not and get the most out of it. When our team plays well as a team, many girls get interest from schools, when they do not play as a team, no one does even though there are 50 plus coaches on the sidelines! In our experience, ODP was completely about the individual, especially since you are trying to get the nod to the next level. And ECNL not being about development? The training 3 days a week, every week, is about development. Is it the best development, well since I am not a soccer coach, I don't know, but it is better than the other options right now in the Portland area, at least for my child, and honestly, that is what matters, and that is all that should matter for each parent. Times will change, and down the road someone will be saying...."if we only had ECNL like we used to...." or "if we only had the thorns academy like we used to", the bottom line is everyone, has to do what they find the best for their daughter and that is it. It is ALL expensive. Paying club fees, travel, etc with club plus ODP was expensive, thorns academy is expensive, ECNL is expensive. It sucks, but it is what it is. Debating what the cost is, is ridiculous. Basically, just like buying a car, have a budget and buy the model that best fits your needs, your wants, and your budget, and let your neighbor buy whatever car they want.
      Well said.

Comment

STOP! This makes to much sense. We should forbid this type of logic on this site.

Comment

True and great points about the exposure. And, it is okay. Only a true jackass would pay that much money and not be a bit selfish.
          There are a lot of jackasses in ECNL.

Comment

There are a lot of jackasses in ECNL.
            However, there are 10x more jackasses in the Timbers Alliance.

Comment

However, there are 10x more jackasses in the Ecn league.
              Truth

Comment

If your ECNL daughter is passing the ball and giving up the glory to her teammates, then she is failing ECNL. The true way to offers is to be selfish.

Comment

If your ECNL daughter is passing the ball and giving up the glory to her teammates, then she is failing ECNL. The true way to offers is to be selfish.
                  I know you are making an anti-ECNL comment, I get it. But in all seriousness, the way to lose offers is to be selfish. Be assertive, true, selfish, no.

Comment

I know you are making an anti-ECNL comment, I get it. But in all seriousness, the way to lose offers is to be selfish. Be assertive, true, selfish, no.
                    Not really. If you are down near the goal, it's much better to try to beat the defender and shoot than to dump the ball to your teammate so they can try to beat a defender and shoot. If you have the chance to take a shot, then take it even if it might be better to pass the ball. As a defender, you should push up and see if you can get a ball out on top and can crack a shot from 30-40 out. Even if it might be better to play the ball up to a mid or forward. It will show the scouts you are offensive minded and if it goes in, they will definitely take note.

Comment

Not really. If you are down near the goal, it's much better to try to beat the defender and shoot than to dump the ball to your teammate so they can try to beat a defender and shoot. If you have the chance to take a shot, then take it even if it might be better to pass the ball. As a defender, you should push up and see if you can get a ball out on top and can crack a shot from 30-40 out. Even if it might be better to play the ball up to a mid or forward. It will show the scouts you are offensive minded and if it goes in, they will definitely take note.
                      "take it even if it might be better to pass the ball" . . . wha??

"get a ball out on top and can crack a shot from 30-40 out. Even if it might be better to play the ball up to a mid or forward" . . . . oh my you are one ignorant SOB. lmao

Comment

"take it even if it might be better to pass the ball" . . . wha??

"get a ball out on top and can crack a shot from 30-40 out. Even if it might be better to play the ball up to a mid or forward" . . . . oh my you are one ignorant SOB. lmao
                        You've never seen a defender hit a shot from 30 out? You've never seen a forward take the ball to beat a defender when a pass was available? Apparently you've never seen soccer where individual accomplishment was more important than team accomplishment. Talk about ignorant. You must be a ECNL coach who is praying that people don't read this and realize it's the right thing to do. At a showcase, you are there to make yourself look good, not make your teammates look good.

Comment

You've never seen a defender hit a shot from 30 out? You've never seen a forward take the ball to beat a defender when a pass was available? Apparently you've never seen soccer where individual accomplishment was more important than team accomplishment. Talk about ignorant. You must be a ECNL coach who is praying that people don't read this and realize it's the right thing to do. At a showcase, you are there to make yourself look good, not make your teammates look good.
                          You are very shortsighted. Good coaches and good programs are always on the lookout for signs of team play and solid soccer iq and decision making regardless of the venue.

Comment

Please stay with the TA!

Comment

Ha ha. More parents who will be looking around at U17 wondering why their dd has no offer. Don't worry. PCC will come through. Ha ha.

Comment

ECNL will be tier II starting next year.
                                Thanks captain obvious. The question then is will ECNL lower costs? I don't have any problem with what people want to spend their money on, but I'm interested for personal reasons.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X