Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the 90% of players go nowhere.

An excellent article on parents good intentions gone bad.

http://stevenashyb.wordpress.com/201...-youth-sports/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

That's all hogwash. Phhttttt.

Comment

Don't

Don't read this rather stupid and vapid article. You would need to be a mental case to heed its warnings. Most situations never become as extreme as the article would make you believe. And why would ignorant parents have a 9 year-old doing to overlapping sports?

Comment

Don't read this rather stupid and vapid article. You would need to be a mental case to heed its warnings. Most situations never become as extreme as the article would make you believe. And why would ignorant parents have a 9 year-old doing to overlapping sports?
        Two overlapping sports and for your information Gomer, it's pretty easy to do. Many of our soccer players are playing basketball right now and it's getting in the way of soccer training and tournaments. Go play dolls with your daughter.

Comment

Committing to a number of year round sports is very common at 9 years old. It builds as they age in my opinion. I have a friend whose son was told that he could never play football and soccer so it was time to choose. This is rec soccer and flag football. The parents laughed it off, but it happens.

My daughter who is a 7th grader is going through the same thing with hoops and soccer. Hoops wants her year round as does soccer. I think this winter will be the end of bball for her sadly. She's overheard snide comments from parents talking about her lack of commitment. She's also well aware of families that don't want bball players on the soccer team.

And we usually only get in one non-sport vacation between all of my kids sports. The article is just not that far off.

Comment

How do you manage even one non-sport vacation? I only have two kids and we don't even have the time for one non-sport vacation. Last year, we took one with our kids at the best possible time we could manage. The kids missed two practices each and had another week of practices before any games but both coaches were beyond pissed off and punished the kids.

Comment

Doesn't matter either way. 90+% of the kids aren't going anywhere in soccer anyway, regardless of how hard they are pushed early on.

Comment

So true

Doesn't matter either way. 90+% of the kids aren't going anywhere in soccer anyway, regardless of how hard they are pushed early on.
                So true. Kids need to play multiple sports and enjoy what they are doing. Most kids dedicated to a sport year round are burnt out by high school. Maybe 10 from all the kids their age go on to play soccer in college. The others search for ways to be the child they never could be even though they are now 19.

Comment

Agree. Play multiple sports and ENJOY their childhood. The 10 superstars can play one or multiple sports - won't matter in the end. The kids who have to give up everything else for soccer in order to succeed at soccer aren't naturally as good athletes and probably won't make it anyway so chill and let the kids play multiple sports!

Comment

It's past 95%. At my dd's age group, both OYSA and OPL there's maybe 60 kids that have a shot at playing college ball. A shot only. And that's out of how many girls playing soccer in the state of Oregon?

Comment

WRong. Juice box will set you all straight. One sport. Soccer. Period. Commit or leave the club. Victory is won on the group sacrifices not hey let's play flag football. Hey let's go to a birthday party. Sorry coach but my DD DS must have balance. Bull poop. One sport to rule the all. Juice box out!

Comment

It's past 95%. At my dd's age group, both OYSA and OPL there's maybe 60 kids that have a shot at playing college ball. A shot only. And that's out of how many girls playing soccer in the state of Oregon?
                        60? Sorry, but no effing way.

Comment

60? Sorry, but no effing way.
                          I was being kind. I was also including any college (D1, II, III / NAIA) play at all.

Then think of the girls playing competitive but at a lower level, select clubs next and then rec. 1200 girls maybe in the state playing all levels?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X