Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do new coach assignments evaluate fairly?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do new coach assignments evaluate fairly?

Our family might be relocating to Portland in a few months for my work. I have a u12 dd who plays rcl d2 A team in Wa. Assuming most teams are established, would she get a fair look with a team getting a new coach? Or do most former coaches inform incoming new coaches the established team. She is not a super star but is a solid player.

fair is dependent on POV

quite often parents on this board will complain about how their child wasn't given a fair shake in tryouts, then some player from out of town shows up and automatically trains with the 1st team. as a coach of a second team, i have seen this happened about every other year i've coached. so, about 6 times an out of town player has shown up, and been given what parents of players on 2nd teams will say is more than fair.

Comment

Coaches and clubs always want to strengthen their teams. Have her try out at a club with a strong girls program and she will get a fair evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Our family might be relocating to Portland in a few months for my work. I have a u12 dd who plays rcl d2 A team in Wa. Assuming most teams are established, would she get a fair look with a team getting a new coach? Or do most former coaches inform incoming new coaches the established team. She is not a super star but is a solid player.
        If she isn't a super star, then don't worry about it, she won't be playing in a couple of years anyway.

Comment

Coaches and clubs always want to strengthen their teams. Have her try out at a club with a strong girls program and she will get a fair evaluation.
          One time, I saw this kid who was really good but the coach didn't want to rock the boat because the team was going into state cup so he put her on the second team. While she was on the second team, she demonstrated leadership and performed at a level beyond the rest of the kids on the team. All the coaches at that age group were talking about her before the tryouts. That young lady went to tryouts in April with her head full of confidence and made the top team as a starter. Point being, kids need some adversity in their lives and their character needs to be tested and developed. Rising up to a challenge does much more for them than always being successful or appearing successful because of parent involvement.

Comment

One time, I saw this kid who was really good but the coach didn't want to rock the boat because the team was going into state cup so he put her on the second team. While she was on the second team, she demonstrated leadership and performed at a level beyond the rest of the kids on the team. All the coaches at that age group were talking about her before the tryouts. That young lady went to tryouts in April with her head full of confidence and made the top team as a starter. Point being, kids need some adversity in their lives and their character needs to be tested and developed. Rising up to a challenge does much more for them than always being successful or appearing successful because of parent involvement.
            One time at band camp...

Comment

Say what you want about coaches but I have yet to meet one that didn't really want to win. That would presume they will take the best players.

Comment

Say what you want about coaches but I have yet to meet one that didn't really want to win. That would presume they will take the best players.
                Unfortunately, in my experience, there are few coaches that only pick kids because of their abilities. There are always some kids selected that don't deserve it. Kids who have a dad the coach knows, a lot of money, clout within the organization, friends, etc. It seems to be the human way...

Comment

The good news is... If your kid is pretty good, she'll have a better shot making a top team than a B or C player being promoted. Our experience has been that once a coach has his mind made up about you, it carries over to tryouts.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X