Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which local teams are nationally relevant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What am I missing in understanding the methodology?

Here are my comments:

1. There are times when lower-ranked teams/non-ranked teams beat higher-ranked teams. The predictive power doesn't explain what happens with these "upsets."

2. ""Coverage" for fraction of all games when both teams are ranked." When a team isn't on this list and they play and beat a ranked team, this is saying that the coverage factor is non-exisitent.
    1. Yes it does if you understood it. It's probability based. Next life get an education.

2. Single games mean nothing. It's all about the body of work. CU03's body of work is much higher quality than GPS'. Just the way it is GPS Dad. Deal with it.

Comment

1. Yes it does if you understood it. It's probability based. Next life get an education.

2. Single games mean nothing. It's all about the body of work. CU03's body of work is much higher quality than GPS'. Just the way it is GPS Dad. Deal with it.
      GPS Dad probably doesn't understand that a baseball player with a .333 batting average won't actually get 1 hit in 3 at-bats EVERY game. Actually GPS Dad probably doesn't understand much...

Comment

If you sport a body missing two legs, a heart, one arm and a skull. That's a lot of work. Understood.

Comment

If you sport a body missing two legs, a heart, one arm and a skull. That's a lot of work. Understood.

Top tier teams in the DA can't have a predictive value vs US Club or USYS teams.

But it's documented that US Club teams from Oregon don't fare well vs USYS teams in local Northwest jamborees

Comment

Here comes a rant from a GPS dad. I find it sad that so many threads become attacks on GPS and others. Not sad for GPS or those being attacked, sad for the way their minds work and kids they influence. It is ironic that last year before GPS had achieved National League and USYS National Championships, people said that rankings don't matter. I personally don't care if your coach or parents go into a game with rankings points in mind. We've had experiences like that and it didn't work for us. I am certain that qualifying for the National Championships will go on my kid's resume. I am just as certain she will not have her team rankings on that same resume, regardless of the debate over which rankings site is best.

I read about facts on talking soccer. The fact is that the GPS girls have won when it counts to get where they are. They have developed into a better/deeper team than when they were ranked much higher. I am perfectly happy with the feedback and looks that my daughter has received. It is great that she and her teammates have already qualified to do the same thing again next year. It is all good with us. It makes me wonder why others can't say the same and be secure with their own kid or team. My daughter spends a lot of time traveling and working out, probably as much as any kid around. That time would be wasted if I spent it teaching her to focus on other people's flaws. My goal is for her to win in life. You might have your own definition of what that means, I have mine. Here are another couple of facts. The girls know who the best players are. The college coaches know who the best players are. What are you trying to achieve by arguing about it here?

To negatively attack others only appeals to the lowest common denominator. If you think it will bring girls to your club, it will, but not the highest quality individuals. In fact, much the opposite. If you think that attacking others will make you feel better about your coaching or your parenting decisions, it may. But it will also expose the fact that you are lacking self-esteem or character.

Why am I spending my time posting here? There are a couple reasons. I hope that if parents from GPS are reading this, they will understand how good they have it and ignore the noise. If someone that has been negative about GPS or others reads it, I hope they find a way to focus on being positive. After all, the true measure of this won't be known until these kids finish their careers. If they aren't well-adjusted, their careers may be over sooner than they should have been.

Comment

Here comes a rant from a GPS dad. I find it sad that so many threads become attacks on GPS and others. Not sad for GPS or those being attacked, sad for the way their minds work and kids they influence. It is ironic that last year before GPS had achieved National League and USYS National Championships, people said that rankings don't matter. I personally don't care if your coach or parents go into a game with rankings points in mind. We've had experiences like that and it didn't work for us. I am certain that qualifying for the National Championships will go on my kid's resume. I am just as certain she will not have her team rankings on that same resume, regardless of the debate over which rankings site is best.

I read about facts on talking soccer. The fact is that the GPS girls have won when it counts to get where they are. They have developed into a better/deeper team than when they were ranked much higher. I am perfectly happy with the feedback and looks that my daughter has received. It is great that she and her teammates have already qualified to do the same thing again next year. It is all good with us. It makes me wonder why others can't say the same and be secure with their own kid or team. My daughter spends a lot of time traveling and working out, probably as much as any kid around. That time would be wasted if I spent it teaching her to focus on other people's flaws. My goal is for her to win in life. You might have your own definition of what that means, I have mine. Here are another couple of facts. The girls know who the best players are. The college coaches know who the best players are. What are you trying to achieve by arguing about it here?

To negatively attack others only appeals to the lowest common denominator. If you think it will bring girls to your club, it will, but not the highest quality individuals. In fact, much the opposite. If you think that attacking others will make you feel better about your coaching or your parenting decisions, it may. But it will also expose the fact that you are lacking self-esteem or character.

Why am I spending my time posting here? There are a couple reasons. I hope that if parents from GPS are reading this, they will understand how good they have it and ignore the noise. If someone that has been negative about GPS or others reads it, I hope they find a way to focus on being positive. After all, the true measure of this won't be known until these kids finish their careers. If they aren't well-adjusted, their careers may be over sooner than they should have been.

Why not just say this should be the coming out year for this team ,with all the work the girls have been putting in to their game to get better. Your feeding the fire and it is entertaining to read how you people take shots at each other.
              It's starting to turn in to the 01 thread LOL

Comment

Wow really well said, but how does this have anything to do with the fact CU03 is just better then you!!!

Comment

Wow really well said, but how does this have anything to do with the fact CU03 is just better then you!!!
                  Before you get all mad and start typing. I was just joking...

Comment

It isn’t the arrogance of the parents, but the arrogance and lies from your coach that bothers people.

Comment

Top tier teams in the DA can't have a predictive value vs US Club or USYS teams.
                      Only because the GDA hides their teams in their own little rec league and never play anybody else. That's called FEAR. FEAR of being exposed as a sham, a scam, and a debacle all in one.

Comment

Only because the GDA hides their teams in their own little rec league and never play anybody else. That's called FEAR. FEAR of being exposed as a sham, a scam, and a debacle all in one.
                        It is a sham.

So is ECNL

So is OYSA/USYS

Too bad that all the money making adult egos can’t be set aside to do what is right for kids.

RIP Clive.

Comment

It is a sham.

So is ECNL

So is OYSA/USYS

Too bad that all the money making adult egos can’t be set aside to do what is right for kids.

RIP Clive.
                          I didn't realize Clive did this all for free...

Comment

It isn’t the arrogance of the parents, but the arrogance and lies from your coach that bothers people.
                            If you feel that way, I would encourage you to be the bigger person. Your kid won't win by fighting fire with fire. How do your feelings about a coach relate to criticizing the skill and accomplishments of the players? Is it an attempt to hurt him by hurting the girls? By trying to break up the team? Target him with your comments, not the team. He's a grown-up. Let him defend himself. If you are correct in your assessment of their coach, it makes what the girls have accomplished in spite of him even more amazing. Along with the girls' hard work, I believe their success is attributed to him, not in spite of him.
                            Do you also have the same feelings about the 02 Timbers coach, the 00 FCSC coach, and the other teams that are mentioned negatively? If that is the case, what an unfortunate coincidence that the teams that have any measure of success outside the state all have coaches with these poor attributes.
                            I personally have never been lied to and have not seen any arrogance beyond their coach believing whole-heartedly in a certain style of play. I am good with it.

Comment

Ranking source is youthsoccerrankings.us, which seems to be comprehensive, covers the entire country (unlike LPR, which is higher quality but limited scope), and isn't based mainly on participation in the sponsor's own tournament offerings (cough gotsoccer cough).

A "nationally relevant" team is any team ranked in the top 100 for their age group. A low standard, I know, but we gotta grade on the curve.

08B:
                              Seattle United Copa (8)
                              Crossfire Premier A (24)
                              WFPC Black (45)
                              Westside Timbers Copa Red (79)
                              (Note: Eastside Red might rank but doesn't appear to have participated in enough events to be included. Also note that OYSA, at least, doesn't publish scores for this age group, so that might affect things).

07B:
                              No Oregon or Washington teams were in the top 100.

06B::
                              3RCS Black (15)
                              Seattle Celtic Green (59)
                              Crossfire Premier DA (95)
                              CWS Navy (97)
                              (Note: DA for this age group last year did not publish match results).

05B:
                              WPFC (15)
                              PacNW (71)

04B:
                              Crossfire Premier (30)
                              Crossfire Yakima (46)

03B:
                              Seattle United Copa (6)
                              PacNW Maroon( 44)
                              Washington Rush (63)
                              NWU (78)

02B:
                              Central WA SA Sounders Navy Cuevas (35)
                              Eastside Timbers Red (62)
                              South Tacoma United Chelsea (82)

01B:
                              Seattle Sounders Academy (5, and DA champions)
                              WFPC Black (30)
                              Westside Timbers Copa Red (47)
                              United SC Aguilitas (91)

00B:
                              FC Portland Navy (12)
                              WPFC Black (15)
                              Seattle United Copa (17)
                              Eastside FC Red (64)

99B:
                              Crossfire Preimer (12)
                              Seattle United Copa (21)
                              WFPC Black (41)
                              Wenatchee Valley United (45)
                              Seattle Sounders Academy (84) (not sure I buy this--Sounders no doubt have rougher competition in the USSDA league than the RPL teams above them in these rankings. Timbers Academy doesn't even show up, but I'm certain they are likewise better than local club teams)

08G:
                              WFPC Black (21)
                              Crossfire Premier A (24)

07G:
                              Seattle United Cpa (31)
                              Crossfire Premier A (32)
                              WFPC Black (40)

06G:
                              Eastside FC Reign pre-academy (42)
                              WPFC Black A (78)
                              Seattle United Copa (88)

05G:
                              Crossfire United (48)
                              Crossfire Premier ECNL (77)
                              (none of the local GDA teams showed up at this age group, so this comparison isn't possible)

04G:
                              PacNW ECNL (47)
                              Reign Academy (57)
                              Crossfire United (70; for some reason CU has two entries).
                              Crossfire Premier (82)
                              WPFC ECNL (93)

03G:
                              Crossfire United(3)
                              PacNW ECNL (57)
                              Reign Academy (54)
                              WPFC ECNL (63)
                              Crossfire Premier ECNL (89)
                              (GPS is at #133--which sounds too low for a team going to USYS nationals)

02G:
                              Crossfire United (32)
                              PacNW Maroon A (55)
                              PacNW ECNL (72)
                              Spokane SC Rave (84)
                              Crossfire Premier ECNL (96)
                              (FC Portland ECNL barely misses the cut, coming in at 103).

01G:
                              WFPC ECNL (12)
                              Crossfire Premier DA (28)
                              PacNW Maroon (42)
                              Crossfire United (58)
                              Spokane Shadow Sounders Rave (63)
                              Eastside FC Reign (99)
                              (Thorns do poorly at this age group, coming in at 228)

00G:
                              Greater Seattle Surf A (25)
                              ISC Gunners A (56)
                              Washington Rush (76)

99G:
                              Crossfire Premier (6)
                              Eastaide FC Reign (14)
                              PacNW SC Maroon A (22)
                              PacNW ECNL (55)
                              Thorns Academy (84)
                              Rogue Valley Timbers Red (100)

Moral of the story: Quality of Oregon clubs seems to be inversely proportional to distance from THPRD. But we knew that already. :)
                              CU has 2 teams because their 2005 (U13) Team Played up to at 2004 (U14) in the Fall and the the 2004 (U14) team played up to 2003 (U15) in the Fall. So when they aggregated the scores based on year you get both teams in the same birth year (U14) for that Fall set of games.

Comment

Why not just say this should be the coming out year for this team ,with all the work the girls have been putting in to their game to get better. Your feeding the fire and it is entertaining to read how you people take shots at each other.
                                It's starting to turn in to the 01 thread LOL
                                Shame on you for even whispering that this is “starting to turn in to the 01 thread”. NOTHING will ever approach that mark again. The 01 thread was a greatness beyond compare.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X