Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree. Daughter is seemingly being recruited by top elite colleges (that she could not otherwise get in to, not even close). They know her stats, but why do they keep pursuing her? Is it for the camp registration fees? Makes me sick.
    What do you mean by "seemingly being recruited" ? Many parents I know when they first start getting emails over-interpret what later becomes clear are simply group emails to lists of kids who have been to Disney etc (as I was...now through it...). If she has great grades/scores, they may be very interested so she could balance another recruit who may be a much better player but with poorer grades.

The camp business is indeed a business, but both sides should know what they are getting into. For parents/players, it is the best chance to get a good look from a coach at a school you are interested in, and also get a sense of where the player stands for that level.

Comment

Camper attends one camp followed by one clinic and is a junior female. D3 school. Asked at clinic about grades/sat scores. Asked other schools interested in. Gets favorable review and invite to yet another camp in summer. Is this interest or a money grab? Tired of payin for clinics without clear answer.
      I agree that they can be money grabs. But that doesn't mean that coaches don't use them as a means of recruiting, especially at the DIII level. Clinics and camps are also a chance to see if the player likes the campus, coach, and existing team players. And at many they have a Q&A session that can help parents understand the process.

To the earlier question, definitely appropriate for rising sophomore. DI schools make offers junior year and DIII are compiling their prospects, so they are watching players sophomore year.

Comment

That sounds reasonably positive enough. You never can really know. If she is interested in teh school, go for it.
        And really push back on what kind of clinic it is and more importantly how many are attending. Some are much too big and are simply revenue generators. But if it is at a school your player is interested and has a small invite list then I would recommend going. It will give your player a better idea of the campus, coach, etc. and the coach can better evaluate him/her.

Comment

And really push back on what kind of clinic it is and more importantly how many are attending. Some are much too big and are simply revenue generators. But if it is at a school your player is interested and has a small invite list then I would recommend going. It will give your player a better idea of the campus, coach, etc. and the coach can better evaluate him/her.
          From prior experience my daughter was interested in a D3 school and she went to their small one day camp the summer before senior year..less than 25 players. The coach came right out and said he only had 2 players their (including my daughter) that he would be interested in offering a support spot to..so the rest may have thought they had a chance of being recruited but really were just there for a training session and to raise funds. You have to know whether you can play at the level the college is recruiting players for. If you would be top of the recruit list then definitely worth going to the camp. For example I would not send my daughter to Stanford or UNC camp thinking she might get recruited..but for a top academic D3 school she is on the top end (NESCAC, UAA, etc leagues) so worth going to those camps. Good luck!

Comment

What do you mean by "seemingly being recruited" ? Many parents I know when they first start getting emails over-interpret what later becomes clear are simply group emails to lists of kids who have been to Disney etc (as I was...now through it...). If she has great grades/scores, they may be very interested so she could balance another recruit who may be a much better player but with poorer grades.

The camp business is indeed a business, but both sides should know what they are getting into. For parents/players, it is the best chance to get a good look from a coach at a school you are interested in, and also get a sense of where the player stands for that level.
            I mean they are saying they saw her play, asking her to come visit, and asking for her club schedule. They follow up regularly, but they always mention the camps. I thought these were legit, until she got one with similar language saying he saw her play (at a tournament where she was injured and sat the bench). FWIW, This wasn't nescac, as the others are. It raises a red flag though, especially because she doesn't have great grades (at least not for those schools).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X