Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Another vote for getting into a few practices before tryouts. If a club is interested in your kid they will gladly have you come. It gives the club a much better chance to assess players, see how they get along with other players, etc. than they can at a massive tryout. And it gives you a better chance to assess the other players and how the coaches runs sessions.

I also recommend trying to talk to a few parents hanging out - they have a much better perspective than any answers a coach gives you.
    When talking to parents, don't get too caught up in whether they are really friendly/informative or not. Some of them are anxious over whether your kid might be the kid that cuts into little Mia's playing time, but my experience has been that once your kid is officially on the team they are much more welcoming. This is especially true for younger teams.

Comment

...[O]nce your kid is officially on the team they are much more welcoming. This is especially true for younger teams.
      Depends on how well the newcomer kid does on the field.

Comment

No, I don't trust you. You are clueless. I have several kids that have been on top teams at top clubs for years. At U10 and U11, when they were new to the process, there was anxiety over tryouts. By U12, tryouts were just a chance to hang with your teammates and try not to get injured by the overeager kids trying to show off. Moving from 8v8 to 11v11 made the whole process just a question of how many more kids would need to be added to fill out a roster. At the older ages, the kids on the team already know whether they are staying or going before tryouts even start. The drama only exists in the weeks before tryouts when some of the non-starters get worried about getting "the talk."
        Ok boss. Well when your kid is a top 3 player and then the other 2 top players leave leaving your kid on an island, get back to me with your not so condescending change in attitude

Comment

BS. Depends more on how well the parent does on the sideline/TS

Comment

Ok boss. Well when your kid is a top 3 player and then the other 2 top players leave leaving your kid on an island, get back to me with your not so condescending change in attitude
            Or, when a top striker sees that another top striker is trying out for the same team. Watch out... drama ensues! This happened on my son's team this year. Last year the "top dog" striker couldn't get enough of himself. The tune has changed this year as another "top dog" came to town. The original "top dog" is already planning his departure.

Comment

BS. Depends more on how well the parent does on the sideline/TS
              Your personal opinion or experience is supposed to invalidate the experience of other people? "BS," indeed.

Comment

Our situation is different. Kids are coming TO the team; not abandoning it. Maybe you should move to a better club too.

Comment

Your personal opinion or experience is supposed to invalidate the experience of other people? "BS," indeed.
                  imagining the others people situation in your mind does not make it your own experience yet. Imagining the solution for imaginary situation makes your opinion vulnerable and easy to invalidate.

Comment

imagining the others people situation in your mind does not make it your own experience yet. Imagining the solution for imaginary situation makes your opinion vulnerable and easy to invalidate.
                    Our experiences are real. Yours may be different. Just because yours may differ does not mean that what we've experienced either did not happen or was somehow "misinterpreted." What arrogance.

You cannot invalidate what has happened to other people. You can only decide that their situation doesn't apply to you and ignore it, or describe an alternative so as to better inform others.

Comment

Is this even coherent?

Comment

Our experiences are real. Yours may be different. Just because yours may differ does not mean that what we've experienced either did not happen or was somehow "misinterpreted." What arrogance.

You cannot invalidate what has happened to other people. You can only decide that their situation doesn't apply to you and ignore it, or describe an alternative so as to better inform others.
                        You made me go back and re-read the post you originally commented.
                        Team parents may hate the parents of the other club. Team parents may hate parents from the of the other team on the same club. But you are stating that team parents are treating newcomers based on how kid preforms on the team (who is also new and had just received his spot on the team!) In other words, "returning" parents did not like you, a "newcomer" because your son did not show the STAR quality from the day one? What a BS!

Comment

You made me go back and re-read the post you originally commented.
                          Team parents may hate the parents of the other club. Team parents may hate parents from the of the other team on the same club. But you are stating that team parents are treating newcomers based on how kid preforms on the team (who is also new and had just received his spot on the team!) In other words, "returning" parents did not like you, a "newcomer" because your son did not show the STAR quality from the day one? What a BS!
                          not my post

Comment

...In other words, "returning" parents did not like you, a "newcomer" because your son did not show the STAR quality from the day one? What a BS!
                            Please calm down and read for comprehension. I wrote that other post. I claimed, based on experience, that newcomer families--before they've even said a word or the kid has even played--can encounter open resentment and skepticism. If you bothered to ask around here on TS, instead of repeatedly screaming "BS," you might even get some parents who have been among the unwelcoming to fess up.

Why is this particularly shocking? When it turns out that a kid can really play, those same unwelcoming parents can become welcoming--and everyone moves forward peacefully.

Comment

Please calm down and read for comprehension. I wrote that other post. I claimed, based on experience, that newcomer families--before they've even said a word or the kid has even played--can encounter open resentment and skepticism. If you bothered to ask around here on TS, instead of repeatedly screaming "BS," you might even get some parents who have been among the unwelcoming to fess up.

Why is this particularly shocking? When it turns out that a kid can really play, those same unwelcoming parents can become welcoming--and everyone moves forward peacefully.
                              Unless the new kid is taking their kids PT!

Comment

First this:
                                Now this:
                                ...... I claimed, based on experience, that newcomer families--before they've even said a word or the kid has even played--can encounter open resentment and skepticism. ............ When it turns out that a kid can really play, those same unwelcoming parents can become welcoming--and everyone moves forward peacefully.
                                Make up you mind dude! BS!BS!BS!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X