Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any value in winning games 9-0?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any value in winning games 9-0?

My thought is no, but maybe I'm missing something.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only in Maple, where a team's total goal differential can actually make a difference in the overall standings. Everywhere else, none whatsoever.

Comment

Idiot coaches allow this to happen only.

Comment

Yes, crushing kids egos is where it's at.

Comment

I assume you are referring to the Stars NPL scores from the weekend? The league is weak. Not much you can do but play your game.

Comment

Doesn't do anything for the winning team either. Clearly they are not challenged (and thus not learning much) and they feel for the other players. When the score is up that high then playing keep-away is no fun for any one.

That said, if there's no mercy rule and point totals for the season matter for standings, then it will continue. Blame the league or tournament (I've seen it happen there also) for the rules, not the coach if there is an incentive for mugging opponents. Not a class act but how many coaches are classy?

Comment

There are many paths to 9-0.

Examples:
              - Attack, attack, attack, no mercy... unnecessary.
              - Pass the ball x number of times before a shot... can be embarrassing to the losing team, especially since the other team is trying to ease up.
              - Only shoot with the "other" foot or from outside a certain range... also an example of a team trying to pull up.
              - 7-0 at halftime leads to "no shots" mandate... worst possible outcome, dragging the losing team all over the field while just trying to keep up.
              - Winning team choosing to play a man down... most embarrassing of all to the losing team.
              - The winning team is getting even for taking a lopsided loss from the losing team at some earlier time... that's acceptable to me, if you can dish one out you can take one.

Comment

Examples:
                - Pass the ball x number of times before a shot... can be embarrassing to the losing team, especially since the other team is trying to ease up.
                - Only shoot with the "other" foot or from outside a certain range... also an example of a team trying to pull up.
                - 7-0 at halftime leads to "no shots" mandate... worst possible outcome, dragging the losing team all over the field while just trying to keep up.
                - Winning team choosing to play a man down... most embarrassing of all to the losing team.
                - The winning team is getting even for taking a lopsided loss from the losing team at some earlier time... that's acceptable to me, if you can dish one out you can take one.
                True, plus a 9-0 score does not tell the whole story. It may sound like a blow out but maybe the other team just had a weak goalie.

Comment

Examples:
                  All too often, people react to the score without any idea of the nature of the game. They just assume that one team is completely classless and was intent on burying the opponent.

To be sure, there are time when the winning coach pushes his/her players to hang a huge number on the opponent due to some personal issue between the coaches or clubs. That's pretty nasty, as the poor kids on the field get victimized.

But, unfortunately, I've seen plenty of double-digit blowouts, and there are many ways that they can occur. Sometimes, the losing coach is as much responsible for the disparity as the winning coach.

Comment

True, plus a 9-0 score does not tell the whole story. It may sound like a blow out but maybe the other team just had a weak goalie.
                    I once saw a coach put his smallest player in an 11v11 goal, without gloves, after a collision knocked out his starter in a game that he trailed 2-0. While it seemed pretty clear that his team might not come back from that deficit, this was like thumbing his nose at the competition. The poor kid couldn't stop the most basic of shots, and the score got out of hand by half time. He never changed, never competed, just gave up.

So, do we blame the team that got a dozen goals for this outcome?

Comment

Doesn't do anything for the winning team either. Clearly they are not challenged (and thus not learning much) and they feel for the other players. When the score is up that high then playing keep-away is no fun for any one.

That said, if there's no mercy rule and point totals for the season matter for standings, then it will continue. Blame the league or tournament (I've seen it happen there also) for the rules, not the coach if there is an incentive for mugging opponents. Not a class act but how many coaches are classy?
                      I agree. If you're getting crushed 9-0 your team is in the wrong division and should be moved. Winning 9-0 is not fun for either team.

Comment

If the coach of the winning team plays their bench players and players in differnet positions I do not see any issue with scoring as many goals as possible as long as the team is playing attractive soccer. Soccer is about finishing chances and I will not tell any player to not finish if they have a chance. I have also been on the other side of the coin and have told the other coach to keep it up becasue my players need to learn how to defend. You need to keep it possitive and keep coaching the players until they get it right.

The leagues need to adjust teams after 2 or 3 games at U11 and under. If a team is crushing teams they need to be moved up and if they are getting crushed they need to move down. U12 an older MAPLE has promotion and relegation and NEP they should follow the U11 and under process.

Comment

If the coach of the winning team plays their bench players and players in differnet positions I do not see any issue with scoring as many goals as possible as long as the team is playing attractive soccer. Soccer is about finishing chances and I will not tell any player to not finish if they have a chance. I have also been on the other side of the coin and have told the other coach to keep it up becasue my players need to learn how to defend. You need to keep it possitive and keep coaching the players until they get it right.

The leagues need to adjust teams after 2 or 3 games at U11 and under. If a team is crushing teams they need to be moved up and if they are getting crushed they need to move down. U12 an older MAPLE has promotion and relegation and NEP they should follow the U11 and under process.
                          I am a coach that was on the wrong end of a blowout this weekend.
                          While we ultimately were responsible for the lopsided score (goalie hurt, mistakes, etc...) what i found more upsetting was the behavior of the winning team's parents. They seem to enjoy every goal with a relish that was disturbing, regardless of score. They continued to blast the refs no matter the call and managed to make a miserable experience even worse. I even spoke to my parents at half and asked that they maintain their decorum, despite the evident over zealous approach of the other side. Enthusiasm is fine, but it too often crosses the line into lunacy. Not sure why.

Comment

I think the first couple of games, the strong teams should play their best so that bona fide adjustments can take place.

Comment

There are benefits to everything as long as you are willng to find them. In this kind of scenario, the score is irrelevant. It could be 6-0 or 13-0. A clear win is a clear win. For the winning team, it could have been a day of practice during which time a coach instructs on them to perform drills and ball control vs. trying to score only. For the losing team, it is either a dose of reality or, better yet, an eye opener on what was not done. Clearly losing 9-0 potentially teaches more to the losing team than what the winning team gets out of it. A good coach can find many many things that could have been done better. If he/she has the ability to teach then teh losing team stands to get a huge amount of education from it.

oh.......sorry. You wanted me to call the coaches and parents jerks based on a large goal differential. Well, that kind of comment doesn't really help anyone.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X