College offer question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also the Coach may leave or is let go in which case all verbal deals are off. This happens all to often. The "Process" needs to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The problem is that (especially girls) players are committing when they are Sophomores. There is nothing in writing and there is no way to have an idea of financial or academic awards. There is nothing that you are going to show to a lawyer. You have a conversation and you both agree that you won't look elsewhere. Done.
      One thing that should be obvious about early recruiting is that if the NCAA really wanted to shut it down all they would have to do is go to that "spreadsheet" or read Topdrawer and start asking some questions about how that all actually took place. Think about it, there are already kids from the class of 2017 (Freshman) publicizing on the internet the fact that they have reached a verbal agreement with a college to play soccer for them. If the NCAA was truly serious all they would have to do is start an investigation of a couple of the top programs and have them explain exactly how they got to a place where those sorts of agreements could even be discussed. The mere presence of an investigation would put the brakes on a lot of this. The fact that they don't do that should speak volumes about the situation.

Comment

One thing that should be obvious about early recruiting is that if the NCAA really wanted to shut it down all they would have to do is go to that "spreadsheet" or read Topdrawer and start asking some questions about how that all actually took place. Think about it, there are already kids from the class of 2017 (Freshman) publicizing on the internet the fact that they have reached a verbal agreement with a college to play soccer for them. If the NCAA was truly serious all they would have to do is start an investigation of a couple of the top programs and have them explain exactly how they got to a place where those sorts of agreements could even be discussed. The mere presence of an investigation would put the brakes on a lot of this. The fact that they don't do that should speak volumes about the situation.
        Everything apparently "speaks volumes." Thanks goodness there are people here to ring the siren call.

Comment

My daughter committed as a Sophomore and there weren't any rules broken. The coaches never contact her directly. They never spoke off campus. So calling the girls on the spreadsheets isn't really going to do anything. I'm not sure how to fix it, especially now when I see Freshmen committing, but for the most part, I think that the rules are being followed.

Comment

My daughter committed as a Sophomore and there weren't any rules broken. The coaches never contact her directly. They never spoke off campus. So calling the girls on the spreadsheets isn't really going to do anything. I'm not sure how to fix it, especially now when I see Freshmen committing, but for the most part, I think that the rules are being followed.
            I am not suggesting that you or your daughter broke any rules. Quite the contrary. If your daughter committed within the last year or so you probably got the same spiel from the college coaches about how much they all hate early recruitment blah, blah, blah. Yet there they are making a verbal agreement with your daughter two years before they are technically allowed to. There are actually rules that are intended to prohibit the sort of the contact that is needed to actually get to that verbal agreement the problem is everyone is just bypassing them as though the intent of the rules don't matter. Yes no one is actually breaking rules because the rules are actually ineffective. Its a joke that actually makes it harder for the athlete navigate this process than it has to be. My point was that if the NCAA wanted to stop it they could. If they really put their foot down the colleges would comply. The fact that they all talk about it then do nothing about the situation speaks to how corrupt of an entity the NCAA really is.

Comment

You are parroting an often.misunderstood aspect of the NCAAs position. They have not prohibited, nor have they intended to prohibit early contact and commitments.

What they have done is make a set of rules that apply to everyone. These rules are well known and well understood. The NCAA published documents that detail exactly what is allowed and what isn't.

The early contacts through club coaches, etc are not loopholes. If they were loopholes (is ways to circumvent the intent of the rules) then the NCAA wouldnt be telling schools how to do these things.

What the schools are doing is exactly what is intended.

Comment

I am not suggesting that you or your daughter broke any rules. Quite the contrary. If your daughter committed within the last year or so you probably got the same spiel from the college coaches about how much they all hate early recruitment blah, blah, blah. Yet there they are making a verbal agreement with your daughter two years before they are technically allowed to. There are actually rules that are intended to prohibit the sort of the contact that is needed to actually get to that verbal agreement the problem is everyone is just bypassing them as though the intent of the rules don't matter. Yes no one is actually breaking rules because the rules are actually ineffective. Its a joke that actually makes it harder for the athlete navigate this process than it has to be. My point was that if the NCAA wanted to stop it they could. If they really put their foot down the colleges would comply. The fact that they all talk about it then do nothing about the situation speaks to how corrupt of an entity the NCAA really is.
                The first post in response to this silliness is dead-on correct. You don't get it. The Rules are not intended to prohibit early offers and commitments. They are intended to set up rules that define how to go about the process of early recruitment on a level playing field and without violations.

Comment

You are parroting an often.misunderstood aspect of the NCAAs position. They have not prohibited, nor have they intended to prohibit early contact and commitments.

What they have done is make a set of rules that apply to everyone. These rules are well known and well understood. The NCAA published documents that detail exactly what is allowed and what isn't.

The early contacts through club coaches, etc are not loopholes. If they were loopholes (is ways to circumvent the intent of the rules) then the NCAA wouldnt be telling schools how to do these things.

You are talking semantics but we are saying the same basic thing that if the NCAA wanted to shut things down they could. The hypocrisy in the situation is the college coaches complaining how much they don't like early recruiting then doing exactly what they say they are against. The slimy thing is precisely what you are raising that the NCAA knows exactly what is going on and basically condones it. The thing that shouldn't be lost in all of this is that in no way is the committed player protected under this system and in fact all of the liability rests on their shoulders.

Comment

The first post in response to this silliness is dead-on correct. You don't get it. The Rules are not intended to prohibit early offers and commitments. They are intended to set up rules that define how to go about the process of early recruitment on a level playing field and without violations.
                    Some of you are real idiots. Is there any question that early recruitment is a bad thing? Here you are basically applauding it and saying that what is going on is exactly what the NCAA wants like that's a good thing. What rocks do you guys live under?

Comment

Another CURRENT person disagreeing.

Comment

Some of you are real idiots. Is there any question that early recruitment is a bad thing? Here you are basically applauding it and saying that what is going on is exactly what the NCAA wants like that's a good thing. What rocks do you guys live under?
                        Really??? Early recruiting has been defended on this site, and by particular posters, until the cows come home (vigorously).

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
                          Really??? Early recruiting has been defended on this site, and by particular posters, until the cows come home (vigorously).
                          That wasn't a defense but a lament: about how the system compels families to get in early or seriously risk getting shut out. When the argument was made that families could exercise common sense and discipline by holding off some (say, a year) on committing early, it was summarily dismissed as naive and foolish.

Comment

You are talking semantics but we are saying the same basic thing that if the NCAA wanted to shut things down they could. The hypocrisy in the situation is the college coaches complaining how much they don't like early recruiting then doing exactly what they say they are against. The slimy thing is precisely what you are raising that the NCAA knows exactly what is going on and basically condones it. The thing that shouldn't be lost in all of this is that in no way is the committed player protected under this system and in fact all of the liability rests on their shoulders.
                            Didn't you write this...
                            Yet there they are making a verbal agreement with your daughter two years before they are technically allowed to. There are actually rules that are intended to prohibit the sort of the contact that is needed to actually get to that verbal agreement the problem is everyone is just bypassing them as though the intent of the rules don't matter.
                            If so, that is very different from what I wrote.

The intent of the rule is to set ground rules for the schools, not to prohibit the sort of contact .... needed."

Nobody is bypassing the intent of the rule.

Is early recruiting bad. That is a different debate. Is the NCAA hypocritical. That is a different debate. Which debate are you trying to get engage in?

Comment

Didn't you write this...

If so, that is very different from what I wrote.

The intent of the rule is to set ground rules for the schools, not to prohibit the sort of contact .... needed."

Nobody is bypassing the intent of the rule.

Is early recruiting bad. That is a different debate. Is the NCAA hypocritical. That is a different debate. Which debate are you trying to get engage in?
                              The intent of the NCAA rules is that recruiting starts in the junior year. If not why have any prohibitions on contact at all? Why not just legalize everything?

Comment

The problem is that (especially girls) players are committing when they are Sophomores. There is nothing in writing and there is no way to have an idea of financial or academic awards. There is nothing that you are going to show to a lawyer. You have a conversation and you both agree that you won't look elsewhere. Done.
                                My daughter committed as a Sophomore and there weren't any rules broken. The coaches never contact her directly. They never spoke off campus. So calling the girls on the spreadsheets isn't really going to do anything. I'm not sure how to fix it, especially now when I see Freshmen committing, but for the most part, I think that the rules are being followed. My daughter committed as a Sophomore and there weren't any rules broken. The coaches never contact her directly. They never spoke off campus. So calling the girls on the spreadsheets isn't really going to do anything. I'm not sure how to fix it, especially now when I see Freshmen committing, but for the most part, I think that the rules are being followed.

I always find it helpful to lay out the conversation so you can follow the context. While probably technically correct the last poster is clearly one of those guys who looks at rules and tries to figure out what is outside their scope so they can go around them. I don't believe that the NCAA has ever taken the official position that early recruitment is OK as long as you use cut outs. In fact every official act they take appears to be aimed at eliminating as much direct contact between college coaches and prospects as they can why then would they condone going indirectly through third parties and allowing. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X