Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College offer question

Has anyone ever heard of the college telling a kid they like them and want them in the program but instead of giving them an offer then, they ask what their financial needs are. I always thought they told the player they are making an offer and here is what the offer is, rather than saying that they want to make an offer, but need to know what the needs of the family are before making an offer. Maybe they aren't that high on my DK. Or maybe this school just approaches the offer process by asking needs before making the offer.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of the college telling a kid they like them and want them in the program but instead of giving them an offer then, they ask what their financial needs are. I always thought they told the player they are making an offer and here is what the offer is, rather than saying that they want to make an offer, but need to know what the needs of the family are before making an offer. Maybe they aren't that high on my DK. Or maybe this school just approaches the offer process by asking needs before making the offer.
    D3 school?

Comment

Supposedly this is how Dorrance does it. He feels that he is in a position that the best want to play for him regardless of the money he offers. He in fact takes offense if players get into it with him over money and will turn away a player for that reason.

Comment

Creative or clever coach. Only so much soccer money to go around. So if your child can get money from antother source, more athletic money to spread around

Comment

D3 school?
          No, a top D1 school. Public.

Comment

Supposedly this is how Dorrance does it. He feels that he is in a position that the best want to play for him regardless of the money he offers. He in fact takes offense if players get into it with him over money and will turn away a player for that reason.
            I'm not familiar with Dorrance. Where does he coach? (I'm being serious here so please don't take offense).

Comment

Creative or clever coach. Only so much soccer money to go around. So if your child can get money from antother source, more athletic money to spread around
              Well, actually many schools, actually all I believe, use a mix of athletic and academic sources to fund athletes who don't recieve full ride athletic offers. So the cleverness isn't in trying to create a mix between the two. The cleverness is in asking the total number so that they now know what the ceiling amount they have to offer is. So if the school costs $50 and the parent says they can fund $25, then the coach knows that he only has to come up with $25 (and will probably do so with a mix of athletic and academic funds).

Comment

D3 school?
                Do D3 coaches ever talk money with prospects?

Comment

That's why he lost Wambaugh to Florida.

Comment

Do D3 coaches ever talk money with prospects?
                    They can't offer any, but can get a read on Financial aid and possible academic merit from admissions is the best they can do, but really don't have any pull with any $$$...strictly based on need.

Comment

I wouldn't read much into this. The money side of an offer can actually be pretty complicated. More like putting a puzzle together than most parents realize. To over simplify it, basically any money that your child can qualify for without respect to their athletic ability does not count against the program's scholarship count so some smart coaches actually weigh that quite heavily when evaluating prospects. There are a number of public schools where a lot of their athletes get their educations funded from pools of money other than athletic scholarships (ie Hope Scholarships etc). As a parent you actually like that because the coach can't take it away if your player sustains a career ending injury or under performs in their eyes. Play the game and don't get hung up over where the coach pulls the money from. What you want to see is the highest percentage regardless of the pool it comes from.

Comment

Dorrance has the pick of the litter every year. Almost every elite player in the world has UNC on the short list. The bottom 1/3 of his team would be a top 25 team. He can be arrogant and selective with recruits and is losing more of them than he used to due to competition and $.

Comment

Dorrance has the pick of the litter every year. Almost every elite player in the world has UNC on the short list. The bottom 1/3 of his team would be a top 25 team. He can be arrogant and selective with recruits and is losing more of them than he used to due to competition and $.
                          Only stupid people look at UNC as nirvana. There are much better educations out there to be had and there are much better playing situations to be found.

Comment

Only stupid people look at UNC as nirvana. There are much better educations out there to be had and there are much better playing situations to be found.
                            Much better educations? Much better? Where? Maybe you aren't familiar with the world-wide academic reputation of UNC.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                              no, a top d1 school. Public.
                              uconn!!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X