Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Gabe is old school, and recruits good soccer players, but better athletes. He doesn't coach the possession build it up style, with constant movement to create opportunities. They play direct most of the time, and counts on the speed and athleticism of his players. They are in every game, and really only get exposed when they play against teams that have very good soccer players with soccer IQ, that match up physically. These posts crack me up. Soccer seems to be the only sport that doesn't believe in different styles of play. There is more than one way to play the game. It comes down to how you execute the style of play. More than one way to play this game.
    I totally agree; I can't believe how many talented players have gone to Merrimack only to sit the bench at the expense of a big, powerful "athlete" with the first touch of a brick wall. However as ugly as it is, he gets results, and that's what counts for some.

Comment

I totally agree; I can't believe how many talented players have gone to Merrimack only to sit the bench at the expense of a big, powerful "athlete" with the first touch of a brick wall. However as ugly as it is, he gets results, and that's what counts for some.
      How many do you figure have gone to Merrimack only to sit on the bench? Are you talking 2-3, 15-20, 50+? Have you been following the team and for how long???

Comment

How many do you figure have gone to Merrimack only to sit on the bench? Are you talking 2-3, 15-20, 50+? Have you been following the team and for how long???
        Old school poster here. Ive had between 7-10 players play for them over the years, and many more recruited. I have never had a player say that he is not fair or complain that they are being screwed by him. I've had players arrive as freshmen, and not be the same player that they were 10 months before. It's not for one reason, it's usually a few. The biggest is not showing up in college preseason shape. The team is athletic and fast, and usually the most fit in the NE-10. Another is the job vs fun aspect. If you don't love the game or love to compete you will not succeed at Merrimack. Players and parents being recruited by them I find, either don't do enough due diligence to figure out if it fits the players game and personality, or they nievly think "I have arrived", and don't push to achieve anymore. Saying all this I also believe that his style of play is becoming obsolete. I don't put blame solely on the older coaches, but also the ADs. The older ADs don't understand the game or have ever followed it. They don't know good training practices for the modern game, or that there are different styles of play, formations in defense and offense, team shape, spacing in O and D. I believe that change is coming on that front. Kids who grew up, not just playing, but watching the game are getting to the age that they will be getting AD jobs. Not till the top gets educated will the trickle down happen. I hope! Haha

Comment

That is just ignorance talking! The top D 2 teams would not beat many of the NE D 1 Teams. It will take years for UML to get up to par and as mentioned Bryant is still has a ways to go.
          You are an idiot....watch some of the top teams (3-4) in NE-10 and then comment.

Comment

That is just ignorance talking! The top D 2 teams would not beat many of the NE D 1 Teams. It will take years for UML to get up to par and as mentioned Bryant is still has a ways to go.
            Using Bryant as the cornerstone to your argument is killing you. Bryant doesn't even have the max in scholarships for D2. Bryant also, doesn't exactly have a wide variety of majors outside of business. Shrinks the pool of players greatly.

Comment

This thread is comical. To imply that the D1 schools around here play some form of beautiful soccer is ludicrous. ALL teams have their good games and bad. Have watched the fabulous Eagles play like an NEP B team on more than a few occasions. Watch ND on TV some time and count how many passes go from 1 team to the opposition with no teammate within 7 yards or how many attempted clearings pop straight up in the air or way our of bounds. Its un real.

Get a grip everyone.

Comment

With limited scholarships Byrant's last in D 2 they went 17-2-5. The next year in D 1 they went 5-9-3 and have struggled since! Power house in D 2 and mediocre at best in D 1

Comment

With limited scholarships Byrant's last in D 2 they went 17-2-5. The next year in D 1 they went 5-9-3 and have struggled since! Power house in D 2 and mediocre at best in D 1
                  Power house are you kidding me! They had maybe a couple of good years, even a blind dog finds a bone now and then. As far as mediocre in D1 they are not even close.

Comment

Power house are you kidding me! They had maybe a couple of good years, even a blind dog finds a bone now and then. As far as mediocre in D1 they are not even close.
                    Lowly Bryant would still beat the majority of D2s handily, even the D2 conference leaders. That's a fact.

Comment

Lets put this to rest, the bottom line is the poster who wrote that the D 2 teams can beat most of the D 1 teams in NE is an idiot. Lets get back to the post, who is SNHU hiring?

Comment

I heard it was between Marc Hubbard asst, Jeff Bailey, local d1 coach who us a former snhu alumni and michigan asst.
                        Men's soccer coach assistant makes no sense. Marc Hubbard trying to take care of his boy by getting him the job is selfish and self-centered, not in the best interest of the women's soccer players. Jeff Bailey is a surprise that he applied since he has been at Franklin Pierce forever. Elie Monteiro from UMass-Lowell makes sense and he is a SNHU alum. Angela Napoli, asst at Michigan is a huge gamble. Has been a career asst. coach. Nice girl but not sure has what it takes to be in charge as a head coach. Surprised she is in the final four.
                        1st choice Monteiro, 2nd choice Bailey, the other two do not belong as finalists.

Comment

Lowly Bryant would still beat the majority of D2s handily, even the D2 conference leaders. That's a fact.
                          Bryant would be lucky to neat 2 or 3 teams in the NE-10 FACT....they are terrible!
                          What are you smoking?

Comment

Lets put this to rest, the bottom line is the poster who wrote that the D 2 teams can beat most of the D 1 teams in NE is an idiot. Lets get back to the post, who is SNHU hiring?
                            I think the post read many not most, get your facts right bone head!

Comment

Learnt o read - poster said top 4 or 5. Remember, there are other programs outside the high flying Eagles that are D1. Dont instantly let your mind go there: BU, NU, HC, U Maine, PC, UNH etc and the top NE 10 could easily give these teams solid games if not a few wins. Fact - it happens.

Comment

I think the post read many not most, get your facts right bone head!
                                Exactly!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X