Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dad knows College Cup trips don't come easy and Duke likely won't back next season when she sees the field.
    Lol. How do you know who anyone is let alone what they know and feel? You are just a clown trying to cause trouble

Comment

Lol. How do you know who anyone is let alone what they know and feel? You are just a clown trying to cause trouble
      Of course. And your indignation makes it even more likely who you are.

Comment

BTNT, you're a joke. We know you're struggling and enraged because you're still focused on club soccer parents and D3 soccer.

Comment

BTNT, you're a joke. We know you're struggling and enraged because you're still focused on club soccer parents and D3 soccer.
          oh, come on now. D3 soccer sucks and anyone who spends the type of money now involved in club soccer at any decent level just to end up there has to have their head examined.

Comment

oh, come on now. D3 soccer sucks and anyone who spends the type of money now involved in club soccer at any decent level just to end up there has to have their head examined.
            Thanks so much for your brutally honest and grossly distorted opinions over the years and your more than 20,000 posts saying the same thing over and over.

Comment

Thanks so much for your brutally honest and grossly distorted opinions over the years and your more than 20,000 posts saying the same thing over and over.
              Lol. So now you are 20,000 + 1

Comment

Have a great weekend, BTNT. How are the community college pre-med classes going, lol?

Comment

What a sad a miserable person you are.

Comment

What a sad a miserable person you are.
                    Coming from you, that's rich. Have another large pepperoni.

Comment

Game Day

3 of 4 today circa 5-6PM. Lower right tomorrow night. Duke game looks to be on ESPN. Others not so clear if free video stream is available. Stanford suggests PAC 12 Network. How dare we actually have to spend $$ on this.😜

Comment

My honest answer, they are a poorly coached team. Dorrances reaction to his kick and rush style getting eaten up by Kadeisha B was to draw a line thru may of his players and bring in 2 English developed kids - Russo and Wubben Moy. They are both excellent player, but in that environment, they are wasted. if UNC could possess the ball and move Princeton around to exploit them, tey win easy.

Dorrance had his time and he took full advantage of it. His on field methods are dated and not relevant to this era. No coach has done less with more in the last 5 years.
                        I watched the Princeton/UNC game in the same evening I watched Barca/Leganes. It confirmed my like-mindedness with the earlier poster who hates UNC with a passion. I think Dorrance's Neanderthal direct style (I say "direct," but I really mean "kick and run"), and his cynical exploitation of the unlimited substitutions which turn a soccer match into a track meet, have done more to harm the women's game than anything else except perhaps GotSoccer points.

If I had to try and be less gloating (despite how good it feels) and more analytical, I would say Dorrance's entire soccer philosophy is mistaken.

It was my distinct impression that despite the UNC players being on average much more athletic than the Princeton players, it was 11 1v1 players (UNC) vs 11 teammates (Princeton).

Dorrance's whole "competitive cauldron" training approach (which is a published fact) emphasizes individual effort against one's teammates, which runs directly counter to a team-based approach.

While time has proven (go read "Inverting the Pyramid") that team defending can negate superior attacking talent (thanks, Mr. Mourinho, whose teams I still don't like to watch), it is less obvious but equally true that you need team (vs individual) oriented ball and player movement to break down and penetrate a well-organized, determined defense.

As to Dorrance's game tactics, I cannot state with certainty how he set out his players, but even after watching the game, I could not even guess what he told them. (I also didn't stumble upon the customary half-time coach quizzing by the TV team - was there one?)

As to the poster who said "nobody has done less with more," in terms of athletic talent, I wholeheartedly agree.

What I am less certain about, is whether he recruits athletic bodies devoid of soccer brains (no doubt plentiful in our world of winning-at-all-costs, GotSoccer points driven Youth Soccer). It is possible there isn't a single soccer brain on his team, in which case even Pep or Jose would throw up their hands and walk away, realizing the hopelessness of doing anything with those players.

God, that was fun to write.

- coach

Comment

I watched the Princeton/UNC game in the same evening I watched Barca/Leganes. It confirmed my like-mindedness with the earlier poster who hates UNC with a passion. I think Dorrance's Neanderthal direct style (I say "direct," but I really mean "kick and run"), and his cynical exploitation of the unlimited substitutions which turn a soccer match into a track meet, have done more to harm the women's game than anything else except perhaps GotSoccer points.

If I had to try and be less gloating (despite how good it feels) and more analytical, I would say Dorrance's entire soccer philosophy is mistaken.

It was my distinct impression that despite the UNC players being on average much more athletic than the Princeton players, it was 11 1v1 players (UNC) vs 11 teammates (Princeton).

Dorrance's whole "competitive cauldron" training approach (which is a published fact) emphasizes individual effort against one's teammates, which runs directly counter to a team-based approach.

While time has proven (go read "Inverting the Pyramid") that team defending can negate superior attacking talent (thanks, Mr. Mourinho, whose teams I still don't like to watch), it is less obvious but equally true that you need team (vs individual) oriented ball and player movement to break down and penetrate a well-organized, determined defense.

As to Dorrance's game tactics, I cannot state with certainty how he set out his players, but even after watching the game, I could not even guess what he told them. (I also didn't stumble upon the customary half-time coach quizzing by the TV team - was there one?)

As to the poster who said "nobody has done less with more," in terms of athletic talent, I wholeheartedly agree.

What I am less certain about, is whether he recruits athletic bodies devoid of soccer brains (no doubt plentiful in our world of winning-at-all-costs, GotSoccer points driven Youth Soccer). It is possible there isn't a single soccer brain on his team, in which case even Pep or Jose would throw up their hands and walk away, realizing the hopelessness of doing anything with those players.

God, that was fun to write.

- coach
                          Prior poster indicated he has several English players that were lost on the field with that going on.

Comment

Prior poster indicated he has several English players that were lost on the field with that going on.
                            Dorrance lamented the difficulty of facing Buchanan in the postgame press conference. He cited the Canadian National Team defender as she dominated in the air and sent away any clearance. The Tar Heel coach said the game plan for Friday wasn’t to give the aerial balls to Buchanan.

“The default setting for amateur players is to whack it in the box,” Dorrance said after Friday’s 0-1 loss to West Virginia. “I think anyone who has been around the game understands the difference between a professional and an amateur. When an amateur is under pressure, she just goes back to what she does when she panics and she whacks the ball in the direction of the other team’s goal. That seemed to be our modus operandi but that wasn’t our game plan going in.”

Considering this is North Carolina and the Tar Heels select the best U.S. Youth National Team players from every recruiting class, it’s a horrifying indictment on the state of the elite club player in the U.S. that the default setting is a kickball mentality.

The hope for college soccer (and women’s soccer in the U.S.) is that the default setting changes, but Dorrance was not so bullish on this experience in San Jose fixing the whack and hope method from his players in the coming years.

“I don’t think this will transform these kids to be ice-cold (Cesc) Fabregas in every position,” Dorrance said. “I think they will still struggle under pressure and in bigger games, but we will continue to get better and I think when they look at this game they will see that they could have done a lot better.”

The storied head coach also cited his depleted roster after losing two players (Jessie Scarpa and Taylor Otto) to the U20 World Cup, another to a redshirt, and five others who moved onto the professional realm after last season. The reality could be closer to the fact that the days of success for that style of play are finally coming to an end. This is already the longest period of time between National Championships for the Tar Heels and the loss on Friday condemns the program to another season without the hardware

next year hes adds several highly touted but slight players Pinto, Jones come to mind. He also adds a bigger stronger attacker in Dorwart ( prototypical UNC player). Add them to the Brits and one or two others and it will be very interesting to see how (if) his style cahnges. His team will not be suited to rolling 3 "lines"and pressing hard.

Like I said, no one has done less with more in recent times than he has. Many of his players actually graduate with no idea how to manage a game or to play 90mins. Ill prepared for the next level and as such not thatt many are successful these days in the pros.

He did a lot for the womens game in terms of raising its profile, but to me, he should hang it up. I think he plans on getting Nahas to replace him , but who knows when.

Comment

At the risk of alienating you, and I really don't mean to, I will state that England is not known as a hotbed of soccer-brains, whether coaches:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-league-season

or players:

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...reth-southgate

I think the point the earlier poster made about the game passing Dorrance by could also be made about England as a whole.

I do not mean to be chauvinist, but a few years back I watched Barca's "B team" play Celtic in some meaningless pre-season tournament, and while I as a long-time Barca fan was shocked to be unable to recognize more than 2 of the Barca players, I was not shocked to see those players play exactly the same brand of football as the first-team starters. Good player movement, good ball movement, good ball retention, good passing numbers, etc. The Celtic players all were big and bearded, and the Barca players looked like so young that they would need notes from their Moms to play. But still they dismantled Celtic.

This abundance of creativity is not an accident. It is either taught (la Masia, futsal, etc.), or at least not crushed out of youth players - I suspect a combination of the two.

It is for these reasons I find it frustrating that an English accent is taken by got-soccer-points-chasing parents as an indicator of good instruction instead of a red flag to run away.

- a (cynical) coach

Comment

Celtic are a Scottish Club. many of their players are foreign. Nice try though. have you seen an Eddie Howe team play? Or the reigning U17 and U-20 WC champions ..Bothj English. Game has not passed them by, the single Euro market and the PL $$ has led to it being the most well paid league and as such the best from all over Europe aspire to work there.

Ask your self this, why would a top rated young coach come to the USA ? As snes of adventure? Perhaps. Money ? more likely. Because he cane make it in Europe ? Probably

The best coaches are going to want to work with the best palyers, failing that they will work where they can get paid with the least amount os actual accountability - that would be US youth soccer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X