Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Smith knows he's done. He was gone last year but begged for one more year. The guy who not coach in college ever again. Unless he wants some D3 job.
    *will

Comment

*will
      A UCLA assistant will take over for him just like the men’s program.
      Smith will go to FC Portland or start a new soccer club. A new chapter for both.

Comment

Smith will go to FC Portland or start a new soccer club. A new chapter for both.
        i hear GPS may be looking for someone new.

Comment

Could be. I've heard some rumors about other candidates however. And no way does he return to FCP. I don't know what he will do but it will be a shock for him.

Comment

Could be. I've heard some rumors about other candidates however. And no way does he return to FCP. I don't know what he will do but it will be a shock for him.
            Tough to see Portland at the bottom of the WCC standings.
            Unacceptable for a school with great soccer facilities and high attendance.
            I wonder if they will reduce funds to existing players? Nothing is guaranteed.

Comment

Santa Clara (-4) at Portland

Comment

This is what happens when you have a clueless coach. He runs a good program into the dirt. They have replaced most of the other coaches over the past couple of years so he should be realizing that he will be replaced this year. Lauren Hansen gets a lot of mention, but not sure she would leave SJS and Oregon is going to be in the market for a new coach and Lauren was the assistant at Oregon before going to SJS. The assistant from BYU has turned Gonzaga around, so probably a top assistant or a head coach from a lessor program will be what they go after.

Comment

This is what happens when you have a clueless coach. He runs a good program into the dirt. They have replaced most of the other coaches over the past couple of years so he should be realizing that he will be replaced this year. Lauren Hansen gets a lot of mention, but not sure she would leave SJS and Oregon is going to be in the market for a new coach and Lauren was the assistant at Oregon before going to SJS. The assistant from BYU has turned Gonzaga around, so probably a top assistant or a head coach from a lessor program will be what they go after.
                  It’s a good job. However a new coach will need some assurances as Smith kept a smaller roster and gave them MORE than your average soccer team of 32. I can see Hansen taking either Oregon job as either is a step up from San Jose State. Twila at UC Davis just signed a new contract but I bet she would leave for the WCC or PAC-12 in a heartbeat. Could be the OSU job opens up also but that would be the less desirable of the two.

Sexy picks - An asst. from Stanford or UCLA
                  safe pick - Hansen
                  Risky pick - Salzman at Sonoma state. Husband and wife team. Or Tiffany Roberts and her husband from UCF. Robert’s family lives out west and the pac-12 would be a promotion for her. The latter would generate some excitement.

Bad pick - any D1 or D2 coach with a .500 record or below.

Comment

It’s a good job. However a new coach will need some assurances as Smith kept a smaller roster and gave them MORE than your average soccer team of 32. I can see Hansen taking either Oregon job as either is a step up from San Jose State. Twila at UC Davis just signed a new contract but I bet she would leave for the WCC or PAC-12 in a heartbeat. Could be the OSU job opens up also but that would be the less desirable of the two.

safe pick - Hansen
                    Risky pick - Salzman at Sonoma state. Husband and wife team. Or Tiffany Roberts and her husband from UCF. Robert’s family lives out west and the pac-12 would be a promotion for her. The latter would generate some excitement.

Hansen turned San Jose State around and got them into the NCAA’s. She a Portland grad. She has to be the #1 choice of any Oregon school. My bet is she goes to Oregon. Portland just can’t get the talent.

Comment

safe pick - Hansen

I don't see any of the Oregon schools going for any coach with a sub 500 record. I don't think any would go after a D2 coach unless they have proven themselves over a long time and can clearly make the jump to WCC or Pac 12. Portland is such an attractive city to live in and with UP being in the WCC and having the history it has, I think a good coach should be able to be obtained. Washington State didn't have trouble landing a good coach a couple of years ago and they are in Pullman. Portland should appeal to a broad number of coaches. Any chance they fire Smith before the end of the season?

Comment

I don't see any of the Oregon schools going for any coach with a sub 500 record. I don't think any would go after a D2 coach unless they have proven themselves over a long time and can clearly make the jump to WCC or Pac 12. Portland is such an attractive city to live in and with UP being in the WCC and having the history it has, I think a good coach should be able to be obtained. Washington State didn't have trouble landing a good coach a couple of years ago and they are in Pullman. Portland should appeal to a broad number of coaches. Any chance they fire Smith before the end of the season?
                        NA....Smith is a lame duck coach.

I don't see a top level "winning" D1 coach wanting the Portland job. It's gonna have to be a top asst. at a top level program OR Hansen or a coach that has turned things around at a lower conference.

Oregon will have many suitors. They made a huge mistake in taking a retread average coach in Mertz. Oregon could steal a top D1 coach from another conference. How about Western Washington or Eastern Washington's coaches?

Comment

NA....Smith is a lame duck coach.

I don't see a top level "winning" D1 coach wanting the Portland job. It's gonna have to be a top asst. at a top level program OR Hansen or a coach that has turned things around at a lower conference.

Oregon will have many suitors. They made a huge mistake in taking a retread average coach in Mertz. Oregon could steal a top D1 coach from another conference. How about Western Washington or Eastern Washington's coaches?
                          Travis Connell
                          14 Seasons at D2
                          Record:
                          202-64-26 (.736)

He's a good candidate

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X