should we target D1, D2, or D3 scholls?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NCAA has a ranking of all the d1 programs (as well as d3 and d3).

You can get really good information on the "Athletic Recruits" forum of collegeconfidental.com. There are threads on soccer ID camps, the recruiting process etc. Really helpful, and there are posters who have been through the process already than answer questions.

Another resource is the d3boards, there's a soccer subforum.

A book I like, because it sets out the recruiting process in an orderly way is THE ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP HANDBOOK (on Amazon). It is just as useful if you are wanting to play in college but not looking for a scholarship.

The main thing to figure out is your son's soccer level. My opinion is that your main focus should be on the level where he will be an impact player. Those coaches will really want him, which makes the process easier. Well, I think it does, I have a junior so I'm not that far ahead of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The NCAA has a ranking of all the d1 programs (as well as d3 and d3).

You can get really good information on the "Athletic Recruits" forum of collegeconfidental.com. There are threads on soccer ID camps, the recruiting process etc. Really helpful, and there are posters who have been through the process already than answer questions.

Another resource is the d3boards, there's a soccer subforum.

A book I like, because it sets out the recruiting process in an orderly way is THE ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP HANDBOOK (on Amazon). It is just as useful if you are wanting to play in college but not looking for a scholarship.

The main thing to figure out is your son's soccer level. My opinion is that your main focus should be on the level where he will be an impact player. Those coaches will really want him, which makes the process easier. Well, I think it does, I have a junior so I'm not that far ahead of you!
      thank you so much. and to all of you that have given sound advice. I will check those sites out.

Comment

The big D1's I agree wouldn't be interested. I looked at Vermont's roster and was surprised there were a few local kids as well as players from like GPS NH and other clubs. about 1/3 seem to be international kids. How do you tell who gets minutes? and who doesn't? and when you say lower 1/3 D1 schools , how do you identify them , like is there a list? I know some of these questions seem ridiculous but I was so focused on his grades and saving for College I really wasn't ever thinking playing in college was such a big deal, he seems to want to play at that level (he doesn't talk about wake forest, BC, or UNC ) so I think he is optimistically realistic of where he'd like to try, seems to gravitate to a student population less than 25,000. Not in a city setting, has a good soccer program, and has a good engineering program. We liked the vibe of Valpariso. we didn't go there thinking of college prospects just kinda found ourselves there. it felt like a good size and community. where Indiana university and UCF in florida are just too big.
        Engineering and D1 soccer rarely go together.

Comment

The big D1's I agree wouldn't be interested. I looked at Vermont's roster and was surprised there were a few local kids as well as players from like GPS NH and other clubs. about 1/3 seem to be international kids. How do you tell who gets minutes? and who doesn't? and when you say lower 1/3 D1 schools , how do you identify them , like is there a list? I know some of these questions seem ridiculous but I was so focused on his grades and saving for College I really wasn't ever thinking playing in college was such a big deal, he seems to want to play at that level (he doesn't talk about wake forest, BC, or UNC ) so I think he is optimistically realistic of where he'd like to try, seems to gravitate to a student population less than 25,000. Not in a city setting, has a good soccer program, and has a good engineering program. We liked the vibe of Valpariso. we didn't go there thinking of college prospects just kinda found ourselves there. it felt like a good size and community. where Indiana university and UCF in florida are just too big.
          Every state school will have a good number of local kids but that doesn't mean they're getting any $ or are starters. Local kids are happy just to get in and they're paying in state rates. A lesser known and lower ranked state school like UNH or UVM also won't be as big a draw for top players from across the country. The roster at a school like FL or UVA will be much more varied than VT is.

All programs have a "statistics" page on their team websites. There you can see who is getting the minutes, although some smaller programs keep their stats more limited to just games played or started. Anyway, it gives you an idea.

Since engineering is a focus for your son, also look at player majors. D1 is very tough with STEM majors because of labs etc. At some D1 programs you'll see lots of "communications" majors etc. If he wants to do a semester abroad or an internship? D1 won't work either. There are a lot of great D3 schools with engineering programs. Up this way there's schools like WPI, RIT, U Rochester (his grades probably not good enough for the last one). This site is a good D3 soccer resource as it shows by conference. You can see who did well this year in their conference and who's in each one. https://d3soccer.com/seasons/men/2019/index

Comment

^ I have a non athlete at RIT. He loves it. Great STEM programs, a few minutes to downtown Rochester so there's lots to do. WPI and Worcester was too small for him. U Rochester would have been awesome but its really hard to get into.

Comment

Every state school will have a good number of local kids but that doesn't mean they're getting any $ or are starters. Local kids are happy just to get in and they're paying in state rates. A lesser known and lower ranked state school like UNH or UVM also won't be as big a draw for top players from across the country. The roster at a school like FL or UVA will be much more varied than VT is.

All programs have a "statistics" page on their team websites. There you can see who is getting the minutes, although some smaller programs keep their stats more limited to just games played or started. Anyway, it gives you an idea.

Since engineering is a focus for your son, also look at player majors. D1 is very tough with STEM majors because of labs etc. At some D1 programs you'll see lots of "communications" majors etc. If he wants to do a semester abroad or an internship? D1 won't work either. There are a lot of great D3 schools with engineering programs. Up this way there's schools like WPI, RIT, U Rochester (his grades probably not good enough for the last one). This site is a good D3 soccer resource as it shows by conference. You can see who did well this year in their conference and who's in each one. https://d3soccer.com/seasons/men/2019/index
              that's what I heard was that engineering was very demanding and it's not often a player can meet the academic demands while playing D1 sports. especially since my kid (love him to death) but isn't a genius. It's also tough to gauge because florida schools are not on par with Mass schools when it comes to GPA

Comment

that's what I heard was that engineering was very demanding and it's not often a player can meet the academic demands while playing D1 sports. especially since my kid (love him to death) but isn't a genius. It's also tough to gauge because florida schools are not on par with Mass schools when it comes to GPA
                It is a matter of how hard you need and want to work. My son plays soccer and is an engineering student at a D1 school - time for social life suffers, however.

Comment

Make sure he works hard or even gets a tutor for test prep. That can be the difference maker. A kid with good grades and scores will have more options. Coaches like players they don't have to support for admissions and that they know won't struggle in school. D1 schools have academic support because they are required to, D3 does not. But many D3 coaches also know kids are there for school and have team study groups, peer tutors etc to make sure students don't fall behind.

Comment

It is a matter of how hard you need and want to work. My son plays soccer and is an engineering student at a D1 school - time for social life suffers, however.
                    Many D1 coaches will tell you there's 3 S's to it - sports (their #1), school and social. You can only pick two. Your social life is also more likely to be your team. Many D1 schools have athletes living separately from other students too. That can be great for some, others want more fulness to the experience.

Comment

There is a multi-school showcase coming up at the end of Feb at the Stars complex. Elite College Combine. Both my kids did it and liked the feedback.

Comment

Many D1 coaches will tell you there's 3 S's to it - sports (their #1), school and social. You can only pick two. Your social life is also more likely to be your team. Many D1 schools have athletes living separately from other students too. That can be great for some, others want more fulness to the experience.
                        My son is playing DI at a well ranked academic and athletic school. I think you are kind-of correct. School is very much supported, but maybe tied with sports. There is much support for the athlete, but they do have to be very motivated to take advantage of it!

Comment

Make sure he works hard or even gets a tutor for test prep. That can be the difference maker. A kid with good grades and scores will have more options. Coaches like players they don't have to support for admissions and that they know won't struggle in school. D1 schools have academic support because they are required to, D3 does not. But many D3 coaches also know kids are there for school and have team study groups, peer tutors etc to make sure students don't fall behind.
                          Most D3 schools have academic support, but not tied to athletics. Every school we toured talked about the academic support, what was included and what wasn't. An Athlete would just need to set it up him/herself.

Comment

Most D3 schools have academic support, but not tied to athletics. Every school we toured talked about the academic support, what was included and what wasn't. An Athlete would just need to set it up him/herself.
                            Every school has some level of support (students will always need it). D1 athletics is different and required by the NCAA, even providing class notes when you're traveling. Several D3 coaches we spoke with said required their players do study groups and there were go-to players who could help with specific topics

Comment

highlight video

somewhat off topic but still dealing with colleges. Do College coaches watch video's that are sent? How long should it be? Should it be from one game so it shows a coach that the player does more in a single game vs a highlight reel that just shows 1 play from each of 10 games where maybe the player only had 1 highlight in a game but 5 bad touches. or is it better to show competing against multiple teams so they can see it wasn't just one good game against a weak competitor? With defenders highlights can be very quick and not flashy so should you bother highlighting a won header or a one touch pass? So what makes a great highlight video?

Comment

somewhat off topic but still dealing with colleges. Do College coaches watch video's that are sent? How long should it be? Should it be from one game so it shows a coach that the player does more in a single game vs a highlight reel that just shows 1 play from each of 10 games where maybe the player only had 1 highlight in a game but 5 bad touches. or is it better to show competing against multiple teams so they can see it wasn't just one good game against a weak competitor? With defenders highlights can be very quick and not flashy so should you bother highlighting a won header or a one touch pass? So what makes a great highlight video?
                                Watch a bunch on YouTube to get an idea. My son is mostly a defender, and he grouped together types of plays : goals/assists/long passes/tackles etc. He took footage from a bunch, though not all, fall season games. It was just under 5 minutes long. He sent it out to maybe 20 coaches including Ivies and 2 he had not been in touch with previously. All coaches wrote back with immediate interest, wanting to talk to him and most referred to the video.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X