Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any current or former college coaches on here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any current or former college coaches on here?

How does recruiting work when building a “class.” If a team of coaches attend a dozen showcases and tournaments, do they come away with one or two prospects each time?

We go to the showcase with a shopping list. Nothing is random. That is how recruiting is done. Every now and than we come across a player that is exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We go to the showcase with a shopping list. Nothing is random. That is how recruiting is done. Every now and than we come across a player that is exceptional.
      And, in 99 percent of the cases, that player wants nothing to do with my school, has different plans, or already committed.

Comment

That when I turn to the boosters. The booster will send an unaffiliated third party to the exceptional player. An agreement will be reach either by mutual agreement or leverage. In most cases an offer of material and monetary gain are made. 10 out of 10 the player usually accepts.

Comment

And, in 99 percent of the cases, that player wants nothing to do with my school, has different plans, or already committed.
          Hence the shopping list, made up of players who have showed an interest in the program and school. Coaches don't have time to wander around looking for players in the hopes of recruiting anyone who looks good. As it is bigger programs get hundreds of emails. The thread OP has a lot of learning to do.

Comment

Is your college like a Weber?

Comment

I'm sure there is not just one way of doing things. I'm not a college coach but my asst coach was a D1 asst coach and the D1 head coach was also a coach at our club... in fact we had about 4 D1 coaches on our clubs staff. they would host workshops each year about the college recruiting process.
              What one said was they looked at how many senior and juniors they had on their team and what positions they played and they looked primarily at HS Juniors who already showed interest in their program but also played positions that they needed full. for ex I would hear him say at a tournament " I need a keeper" and he would be looking at keepers.
              Another one said " It's a funny thing... we have a list of players we want, and we won't get them. The players have a list of colleges that they want to play for , and the colleges won't want them. So what happens is both tend to settle , the college settles for players that they weren't considering, and the players end up at colleges they didn't consider early in their process.
              People won't believe me on this one but here goes. my asst said I can't help out at practice tonight I have to go scout a player.... this was during the week so I was like "where?" he named a local HS . I said D1 colleges scout HS players? he said if they want to go to our school and they are local then yes because we have to fill out our roster and the international students take up all our scholarships, local kids with in state tuition don't cost us anything.
              Another coach When asked about ID camps said , they have never selected a player from an ID camp, they find all their players in Europe , specifically places like Norway, Sweden, Finland , and Denmark

Comment

Nope, more like a Char-Broil

Comment

That when I turn to the boosters. The booster will send an unaffiliated third party to the exceptional player. An agreement will be reach either by mutual agreement or leverage. In most cases an offer of material and monetary gain are made. 10 out of 10 the player usually accepts.
                  This isn't football!

Comment

Webber International University is a private institution of higher learning located in Babson Park, Florida, with a setting overlooking Crooked Lake. We like to recruit international players.

Comment

I'm sure there is not just one way of doing things. I'm not a college coach but my asst coach was a D1 asst coach and the D1 head coach was also a coach at our club... in fact we had about 4 D1 coaches on our clubs staff. they would host workshops each year about the college recruiting process.
                      What one said was they looked at how many senior and juniors they had on their team and what positions they played and they looked primarily at HS Juniors who already showed interest in their program but also played positions that they needed full. for ex I would hear him say at a tournament " I need a keeper" and he would be looking at keepers.
                      Another one said " It's a funny thing... we have a list of players we want, and we won't get them. The players have a list of colleges that they want to play for , and the colleges won't want them. So what happens is both tend to settle , the college settles for players that they weren't considering, and the players end up at colleges they didn't consider early in their process.
                      People won't believe me on this one but here goes. my asst said I can't help out at practice tonight I have to go scout a player.... this was during the week so I was like "where?" he named a local HS . I said D1 colleges scout HS players? he said if they want to go to our school and they are local then yes because we have to fill out our roster and the international students take up all our scholarships, local kids with in state tuition don't cost us anything.
                      Another coach When asked about ID camps said , they have never selected a player from an ID camp, they find all their players in Europe , specifically places like Norway, Sweden, Finland , and Denmark
                      Believe it or not, I have witnessed college coaches at the high school games some wearing their college logos and others in camo.

Comment

We have a staff full of ex college coaches at our club. They all wash out of the college scene. It is the worst to have them coach youth soccer. These ex college coaches believe they are expert at identifying and developing talent. Clearly it is the luck of the draw.

Comment

We have a staff full of ex college coaches at our club. They all wash out of the college scene. It is the worst to have them coach youth soccer. These ex college coaches believe they are expert at identifying and developing talent. Clearly it is the luck of the draw.
                          The youth clubs may pay them more than some of those Webber-like colleges.

Comment

Believe it or not, I have witnessed college coaches at the high school games some wearing their college logos and others in camo.
                            to clarify when I said HS juniors I didn't mean they were going to HS to scout Juniors they were just looking specifically at that age group when going to tournaments. But the Asst D1 coach going to a local HS to scout a specific player that wanted to go to his school was real.

Comment

to clarify when I said HS juniors I didn't mean they were going to HS to scout Juniors they were just looking specifically at that age group when going to tournaments. But the Asst D1 coach going to a local HS to scout a specific player that wanted to go to his school was real.
                              They will send an assistant to check out a player if it's close by and a time that works for them. Costs them basically nothing. But that player will either have reached out to the program already and/or a local club coach recommended the player.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X