Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    68 million dollars more in scholarship money is available in women’s college soccer. That’s per year. Roughly a quarter billion more $ available for women to compete for than men in the college game.

This is the product you get when the endgame is mediocre college soccer over the endgame of pro contracts on the men’s side.
    And in the aggregate, the boys are much worse, all the while drawing in the 3rd and 4th level athletic talent in this country. Sorry Eddie.

Comment

And why wouldn't they be?

My D does into her senior year of college this year. Having seem every one of her games over the the past 3 years, including many top 25 programs, it is very, very obvious & clear that college ball is more of an extension of the HS game, eg physical, direct and kickball rather than euro-trash club style of possession and buildup.

And you know what? I don't care. At all.

I am simply grateful for the scholarship dough. And that's alright.
      Amen. To hell with world soccer.

Comment

And why wouldn't they be?

My D does into her senior year of college this year. Having seem every one of her games over the the past 3 years, including many top 25 programs, it is very, very obvious & clear that college ball is more of an extension of the HS game, eg physical, direct and kickball rather than euro-trash club style of possession and buildup.

And you know what? I don't care. At all.

I am simply grateful for the scholarship dough. And that's alright.
        and, that's fine. I've always looked for quality and learning opportunities vs. a way to make a buck, but there's 7 billion people out there and everyone sings to their own song at times.

Comment

Up next will be the rubes who will claim that EJ should shut up.

But, the writing is on the wall...he is not the first to realize our position and our nat’l team results, at all levels, are even more telling

Right on schedule. Now when we tank in the next WC the same fools will blame everyone but their own clubs...

Comment

And in the aggregate, the boys are much worse, all the while drawing in the 3rd and 4th level athletic talent in this country. Sorry Eddie.
            All the real boys talent goes overseas before that age now anyway so there’s no comparison. Girls soccer doesn’t really exist beyond your own dinner table

Comment

Right on schedule. Now when we tank in the next WC the same fools will blame everyone but their own clubs...
              This thread should be pinned for that very reason.

Comment

Let's be real. Only a couple of hardo's will really care. But they will be vocal.

Everyone else will go back to their regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

Let's be real. Only a couple of hardo's will really care. But they will be vocal.

Everyone else will go back to their regularly scheduled programming.
                  And what programming is that? Which of the 3 TS Admin approved topics can we talk about? Is it:

A) How 100% of college can be paid for with a women’s soccer scholarship that are plentiful and easy to get?
                  B) ECNL vs DA
                  C) D1 vs D3

Come on. When a pro like EJ makes an honest observation that pops the mythical ECNL/college quality bubble notice how quickly the excuses come out and the topic gets changed. Suddenly nothing matters and let’s all move on. What a joke!

Comment

I think that's the point being missed in the effort to make this about GDA or his lack of "qualifications" to comment. Anybody who has played the game should be able to look at what is being produced and be disappointed in it.

I don't think the bill payers (parents) care because:

* Most have no clue
                    * Kids are running around and the ball goes really high so it must be good
                    * They honestly do not care because they are in it for an ROI, not to learn the game
                    Virginia,Duke,Wake forest, etc keep the ball on the deck, give out generous scholarships, have developed many NT players. They recruit mostly US players and offer great academics. Have they ever won a National Championship?

What is being produced is the shortest route to winning with the player pool Clubs provide.

Comment

Do try to stay on point. There's lots of lots of anti-DA threads.

This is a first-hand, unbiased account while watching U17 ECNL girls play.

Just because your kid is ugly doesn't mean all kids are....
                      He is absolutely right but he could made the identical tweet about gda games, or college games or the games in any other league with very very very few exceptions. So he is biased. He is or was involved with us soccer and they hate ecnl.

Comment

I love soccer. College athletics ruins it. With few exceptions (e.g., Stanford, FSU), it is ugly bootball.

I love academics. College athletics ruins it. An endless parade of scandal.

https://www.ranker.com/list/college-...als/swiperight

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...es-last-decade

I know you are all happy for your kid to get into a better school than your kid would qualify for, but this takes that spot away from a better student. I think that stinks.

I know you who have enough income to spend thousands a year on crappy big club soccer (Eddie Johnson is right) are all happy to get "scholarship" money (as if that money were really for academic merit!), which could have instead gone to somebody who DIDN'T have thousands to blow per year on glorified rec soccer. I think that stinks, too.

Hopefully, the recent decision to let NCAA players get compensated will spell the end of this toxic mix of athletics and academics.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...er/3841071002/

- a coach

Comment

And what programming is that? Which of the 3 TS Admin approved topics can we talk about? Is it:

A) How 100% of college can be paid for with a women’s soccer scholarship that are plentiful and easy to get?
                          B) ECNL vs DA
                          C) D1 vs D3

Come on. When a pro like EJ makes an honest observation that pops the mythical ECNL/college quality bubble notice how quickly the excuses come out and the topic gets changed. Suddenly nothing matters and let’s all move on. What a joke!
                          EJ is not telling any of us who have paid attention anything we dont know. The hypocrisy is the whole system. Go ask Anson Dorrance about the STYLE of soccer he plays and he will point to his 20+ titles. To start talking about HOW the girls play is pretty irrelevant when at the end of the day, the womens soccer system is pretty closed. Its set up FBO the USSF and even the privately "owned" clubs are beholden to the USSF.

Do you really think that the style of play impacts attendances. I dont. I think the risk in trying to play more attractive soccer is greater than the reward of doing so. Look at teh NC Courage. They play Lyon and look totally overmatched and yet they did "win" one friendly and the USA won the WC in France.

I don like the system, but EJ needs to do a lot more than say its trash. How about telling us the benefits of making it "better" and how he would go about doing it?

I bet he makes more money from his private training stuff than he would as a USSF coach on the girls side. He is doing whats best for him and thats cool, but the Clubs are doing exactly the same thing

Comment

Virginia,Duke,Wake forest, etc keep the ball on the deck, give out generous scholarships, have developed many NT players. They recruit mostly US players and offer great academics. Have they ever won a National Championship?

What is being produced is the shortest route to winning with the player pool Clubs provide.
                            And the coaching at both the club and college level gets a pass? Somehow it’s the fault of the player pool when they’ve been brought up in a system from ulittles? Who’s teaching them to boot the ball all the time?

Comment

I love soccer. College athletics ruins it. With few exceptions (e.g., Stanford, FSU), it is ugly bootball.

I love academics. College athletics ruins it. An endless parade of scandal.

https://www.ranker.com/list/college-...als/swiperight

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...es-last-decade

I know you are all happy for your kid to get into a better school than your kid would qualify for, but this takes that spot away from a better student. I think that stinks.

I know you who have enough income to spend thousands a year on crappy big club soccer (Eddie Johnson is right) are all happy to get "scholarship" money (as if that money were really for academic merit!), which could have instead gone to somebody who DIDN'T have thousands to blow per year on glorified rec soccer. I think that stinks, too.

Hopefully, the recent decision to let NCAA players get compensated will spell the end of this toxic mix of athletics and academics.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...er/3841071002/

- a coach
                              Better student? College is about learning and life. Sports, social etc are part of life. The ability to manage different priorities etc is part of it. To suggest that a better standardized test score makes a better student is false. Maybe, but by no means a given.

FSU ? Mostly foreign kids, which says something. Why do Stanford have so few titles compared to UNC then ?

Comment

And the coaching at both the club and college level gets a pass? Somehow it’s the fault of the player pool when they’ve been brought up in a system from ulittles? Who’s teaching them to boot the ball all the time?
                                its the result of a CLUB system that does no need to prioritize development. You just rectuit the most athletic kids and use them to play direct soccer and win games. There is no pyramid, there is no clear pathway. Just a bunch of slogans and marketing pitches designed to suck in gullible parents. Th is the player pool.

Are there exceptions, of course, but Colleges will just recruit what is out there.heck nowadays they are looking abroad for soccer IQ.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X