Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Meant pass on that. These ID event are very costly. Are they required?
    I think for most D1 schools, it is. My Soph D had a few phone calls before the rule change and will narrow down the ID clinics she's attending after June 15th. She's looking at schools that are 3-4 hour drives or short flights from home, so they're probably going to involve overnight stays.
    She's got her top 5 narrowed down "for now" but who knows what the Spring season will bring. I'm impressed by how she's handling it all, said she wants to hold off on ID clinics until she talks to the coaches and really gets a feel for their level of interest. Most of the coaches that have talked to her coach abt her, continue to come to all her showcase games and even league games in their area-so we think that's a good sign, but not sure if it will materialize into the type of offer she's hoping to get.

My older D plays on a decent D3 team and got her offer immediately following the 2nd showcase her school's coach saw her in, didn't need to do an iD clinic but she did do the overnight.

Comment

Meant pass on that. These ID event are very costly. Are they required?
      It depends how good you are perceived to be.

Comment

I think for most D1 schools, it is. My Soph D had a few phone calls before the rule change and will narrow down the ID clinics she's attending after June 15th. She's looking at schools that are 3-4 hour drives or short flights from home, so they're probably going to involve overnight stays.
        She's got her top 5 narrowed down "for now" but who knows what the Spring season will bring. I'm impressed by how she's handling it all, said she wants to hold off on ID clinics until she talks to the coaches and really gets a feel for their level of interest. Most of the coaches that have talked to her coach abt her, continue to come to all her showcase games and even league games in their area-so we think that's a good sign, but not sure if it will materialize into the type of offer she's hoping to get.

My older D plays on a decent D3 team and got her offer immediately following the 2nd showcase her school's coach saw her in, didn't need to do an iD clinic but she did do the overnight.
        Its not. At the top of the pyramid schools bend over backwards to accommodate players they want.

Comment

^ both accurate. If you're their top 1-3 picks you probably won't need to go, but after that you're battling it out with many other players with similar skills. They'll be looking for #4-8 who have that extra something vs the others, and that are interested enough in the program to take the time out to attend.

Comment

Its not. At the top of the pyramid schools bend over backwards to accommodate players they want.
            Is that based on factual knowledge or just what you "heard"?

Comment

^ both accurate. If you're their top 1-3 picks you probably won't need to go, but after that you're battling it out with many other players with similar skills. They'll be looking for #4-8 who have that extra something vs the others, and that are interested enough in the program to take the time out to attend.
              That's good to know, like I said my older D went D3, this one is a little trickier. It's definitely exciting, but we're trying to manage expectations...but not too much. Like I said in the original post, the unsolicited interest came from schools that were higher level than she was targeting.

Comment

Bingo.

The first time I saw something, I was like "Wow, Notre Dame viewed my kid's profile". After you get the ID Camps e-mails a few times you figure it out.
                So you’re the guy that pays for a recruiting service.

Comment

So you’re the guy that pays for a recruiting service.
                  Nope. I signed up for some free ones where they try every trick in the book to get you to pay. But, you get just enough detail and a profile to get views. You can see who views the profile then you go it alone.

No reason to sign up for the pay side.

Plus, how one in particular really galled me out. They ensured that the whole family joins for the conversation. So, we got on with our daughter on a conference call. Recruiter joins, got the English accent and drops the "brilliant" a half dozen times. Mentions over and over how tight he is with Christian Laver, mentions her league, GPA, size..."D1 schools will be drooling over you". HE'S NEVER EVEN SEEN HER PLAY!!

I've got the guy on mute and explaining to my daughter this is what being sold sounds like.

Then he drops the bomb: For the low-low price of (I can't even remember but it was hundreds/month) we can going. Which credit card do you want to use?

Freakin' scam.

Regards,

Ms. L. Loughlin

Comment

Is that based on factual knowledge or just what you "heard"?
                    Factual. Two kids who play College soccer. One had no need to attend anything. The other did.

Comment

That's good to know, like I said my older D went D3, this one is a little trickier. It's definitely exciting, but we're trying to manage expectations...but not too much. Like I said in the original post, the unsolicited interest came from schools that were higher level than she was targeting.
                      I would be very careful about unsolicited interest. You need to have an idea of what you and your child want and try and get it. if that fails, then ok.

Comment

I would be very careful about unsolicited interest. You need to have an idea of what you and your child want and try and get it. if that fails, then ok.
                        Unsolicited interest that spoke to a players coach is not legit?

Comment

Unsolicited interest that spoke to a players coach is not legit?
                          Not my point. Let me clarify. Im sure its legit, but the parents/player need to have a clear idea of what they want or it becomes too easy to get talked into a bad fit because they appear to want you. Best to have your own list and focus on it. If that fails, expand it.

Comment

Not my point. Let me clarify. Im sure its legit, but the parents/player need to have a clear idea of what they want or it becomes too easy to get talked into a bad fit because they appear to want you. Best to have your own list and focus on it. If that fails, expand it.
                            This is solid advice actually, but you don't have to listen to it.
                            Nothing wrong with checking out a school that expresses interest.
                            Worst case you have a fun trip, best case you discover a school.

With that said, my D did 2 "check em out" overnights and ultimately reverted back to her original target.

Comment

I think that final sentence applies even to 1-3. Coach needs to know you are worth their time and time of their staff. They may cast a broad net initially, but when it comes to identifying their top 1-3 they consider the player's likelihood to attend.

Attending a camp may not be necessary to demonstrate on-field abilities, but it can express interest, and provide opportunity to gauge cultural fit.

Comment

I think that final sentence applies even to 1-3. Coach needs to know you are worth their time and time of their staff. They may cast a broad net initially, but when it comes to identifying their top 1-3 they consider the player's likelihood to attend.

Attending a camp may not be necessary to demonstrate on-field abilities, but it can express interest, and provide opportunity to gauge cultural fit.
                                Was at a local D1 camp over the summer. 3 or 4 of the committed recruits for the class of 2020 were in attendance. They trained with everyone else and spent time with the rostered players who were assisting. I think it also provided a good benchmark for those in attendance... they were top-quality players and clearly stronger than most others attending the clinic.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X