• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smith College soccer

Any info on this program? TIA.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Oh boy! Here comes some more gay bashing / democrats (commies ) vs republicans (racists) information...

Comment

Well that escalated quickly ...

Comment

I hear they grind it out with MHC

Comment

See the MHC thread ... This has already been done but they are one notch or two higher in the nescac standings.

Comment

See the MHC thread ... This has already been done but they are one notch or two higher in the nescac standings.
            Dare I say one **** hair higher?

Comment

I hear they grind it out with MHC
              Misogyny is alive and well I see. How unfortunate for your D.

Comment

As with any school, if Smith is the perfect school for your student that's all that matters. Even better if they can play a sport they love. Smith won't be for everyone, clearly. A friend's kid is there now (not an athlete) and said every stereotype you think about the school is true. They would never be a Harvard MBA type no matter where they went and yet will graduate soon with a decent job in their field. There's plenty of other small schools like it in area.

Comment

They are typically a .500 program. Newish coach trying to recruit better players, but it's easier said than done.

Comment

The idea that a women's college could be appealing to some women is just so, so shocking.

As for stereotypes, this stereotype also is true.....Smith is one of the finest colleges in the United States. Period. Best school of social work in the country...by far.

Harvard MBA? I would guess Smith has produced quite a few of those.

Comment

They have

Comment

The idea that a women's college could be appealing to some women is just so, so shocking.

As for stereotypes, this stereotype also is true.....Smith is one of the finest colleges in the United States. Period. Best school of social work in the country...by far.

Harvard MBA? I would guess Smith has produced quite a few of those.
                        Agreed. Good post.

Comment

Smith does have a very intellectual culture, and students are not usually shy about speaking their minds in class. That being said, I personally never felt intimidated by my fellow students' intelligence, and I didn't think it was so much about intellectual competition as it was about excitement about ideas. In fact, I loved being at a college where people were genuinely excited about their classes. There were some houses (dorms) that had larger groups of people who liked to work all night long and all weekend and who liked to complain about their homework, but for the most part Smithies tend to be pretty balanced between work and play: work hard, then play hard. The whole sexual frustration thing is definitely not true; there are plenty of men to be found at neighboring colleges, at parties, and in classes, due to the 5-college consortium. About 1/3 of the students identify themselves as queer, lesbian, bi, or transgendered -- but, while the stereotype of a big gay school isn't numerically accurate, there IS a very pervasive culture of tolerance for the queer community. Homophobia is definitely frowned on, and the LGBT presence is loud and proud, not shy or closeted at all. If you're really not comfortable with a LGBT presence Smith might take some getting used to. I didn't meet a single woman while I was at Smith who owned a set of pearls (or a sweater set, for that matter). While plenty of Smithies come from well-off families, they don't flaunt their wealth. If anything students probably try to act like they have less money than they really do.

Comment

Smith does have a very intellectual culture, and students are not usually shy about speaking their minds in class. That being said, I personally never felt intimidated by my fellow students' intelligence, and I didn't think it was so much about intellectual competition as it was about excitement about ideas. In fact, I loved being at a college where people were genuinely excited about their classes. There were some houses (dorms) that had larger groups of people who liked to work all night long and all weekend and who liked to complain about their homework, but for the most part Smithies tend to be pretty balanced between work and play: work hard, then play hard. The whole sexual frustration thing is definitely not true; there are plenty of men to be found at neighboring colleges, at parties, and in classes, due to the 5-college consortium. About 1/3 of the students identify themselves as queer, lesbian, bi, or transgendered -- but, while the stereotype of a big gay school isn't numerically accurate, there IS a very pervasive culture of tolerance for the queer community. Homophobia is definitely frowned on, and the LGBT presence is loud and proud, not shy or closeted at all. If you're really not comfortable with a LGBT presence Smith might take some getting used to. I didn't meet a single woman while I was at Smith who owned a set of pearls (or a sweater set, for that matter). While plenty of Smithies come from well-off families, they don't flaunt their wealth. If anything students probably try to act like they have less money than they really do.
                            Excellent, fair post. Breath of fresh air.

Comment

Did you ever watch a school soccer game?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X