Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer Reality, your kid isn't going pro.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The player reaches out to the college coach and provides their Club, team name and schedule.

College coaches don't scour GotSoccer for rosters.
    Bingo....And they certainly don't care about gotsoccer rankings.

Comment

Every single parent on talking soccer has a kid that is going to the national team and pro. The originator of the thread is upset their child was cut from the team.

Comment

Again with this education will pay out better in the end argument and just let your kids play for fun that keeps getting thrown out here. Unless youre a complete idiot, we all know education is more important but you can still invest in both education and soccer at a high level. Its not one or the other. And kids DO have fun playing competitive soccer. Soccer/athletics have valuable important life lessons as well that need to be learned. The idea should be to form well rounded, smart, charitable, social, healthy thinkers and do-ers who challenge themselves at whatever they take an interest in. I don't want my kid sitting his lazy ass on a sofa playing video games when his head isn't in a book. And if you have real realationships with your kids and actually talk to them most are very aware of just how difficult/impossible a pro career in sports is but that still doesn't mean you can't have goals/dreams and try? It says alot about character to the ones who set goals and try instead of the losers who quit. It will serve them well as adults. No ones losing time in my family. There living their lives to the fullest.
        If parents would take academics seriously you would not see this argument. But they do not. They home school their kid because of soccer. Or enroll in a less challenging school. And in the name of becoming a “pro” in a sport most parents do not understand. I don’t know if home schooling a kid to cut down on homework so there’s more time for private training and soccer practice is “living life to the fullest”! It’s adults acting like children

Comment

If parents would take academics seriously you would not see this argument. But they do not. They home school their kid because of soccer. Or enroll in a less challenging school. And in the name of becoming a “pro” in a sport most parents do not understand. I don’t know if home schooling a kid to cut down on homework so there’s more time for private training and soccer practice is “living life to the fullest”! It’s adults acting like children
          and there maybe one or two examples of this nation-wide. What are you talking about??

Comment

and there maybe one or two examples of this nation-wide. What are you talking about??
            Agreed that scenario is extremely rare. That said, plenty of students and their parents think sports will help them get into college, maybe even pay for a good chunk of it. Chances are it won't and they find that out too late. Good grades + good soccer skills will give you many more options than just the skills part. Don't let your grades or extracurriculars suffer because of sports. Save some $ up for test prep classes and tutors if need be. That is money better spent then chasing a scholarship dream that probably will not materialize.

Comment

best decision you ever made
              Quality state schools in FL and with bright futures, etc. your kid can go for almost nothing. Get off the fields and study more.

Unless you want to pay $20k per year so your kids can play soccer in college in some other state. They need to grow up sooner or later. Make them grow up sooner, or they will be living in your guest room after they graduate.

Comment

Very good article. Stop feeding the clubs for nothing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-va...DbT1bANUPa5FAo
                Stupid article for soccer. Doesn't apply. No one in club soccer is doing it to go pro. Only to play in college, either for a scholarship, or to get into a better school by using soccer.

Comment

Stupid article for soccer. Doesn't apply. No one in club soccer is doing it to go pro. Only to play in college, either for a scholarship, or to get into a better school by using soccer.
                  The ones who really are pro potential aren't paying. Most are playing at an MLS club and the few others are getting a free ride from a non MLS club. For 99% college is the goal, either to get a few $ to play (families of boys will be very disappointed on this measure) or just use soccer to get into a better school.

Comment

The ones who really are pro potential aren't paying. Most are playing at an MLS club and the few others are getting a free ride from a non MLS club. For 99% college is the goal, either to get a few $ to play (families of boys will be very disappointed on this measure) or just use soccer to get into a better school.
                    I have an exceptional boy player. Our goal is to play in college and get a great education ..straight A student and very smart playing the game .we are reasonable and would never say we want to be pro..that's ignorant and delusional..college is very possible and what ever happens after well what I to be is to be. Parents need to stop telling there kids they are going to be pro..that's silly

Comment

I have an exceptional boy player. Our goal is to play in college and get a great education ..straight A student and very smart playing the game .we are reasonable and would never say we want to be pro..that's ignorant and delusional..college is very possible and what ever happens after well what I to be is to be. Parents need to stop telling there kids they are going to be pro..that's silly
                      Even exceptional male players won't get much athletic money to play. Good thing he's a top student - he'll have more options as a good student and is more likely to get good merit money money (that sticks all four years) than athletic.

It's one thing for a kid to aspire and dream, but reality needs to be introduced into the equation at some point. If the pro clubs aren't knocking on your door by HS, focus on school.

Comment

Even exceptional male players won't get much athletic money to play. Good thing he's a top student - he'll have more options as a good student and is more likely to get good merit money money (that sticks all four years) than athletic.

It's one thing for a kid to aspire and dream, but reality needs to be introduced into the equation at some point. If the pro clubs aren't knocking on your door by HS, focus on school.
                        I think you are right. When you look around the pro teams are giving the really talented kids contracts by 16 to 18 years old. I truly think the only way to make real money as a professional is if you are one of those kids that shines out as way way better than everyone else. And I mean at every level. You need to be the best player on the field no matter how good the competition is. If you are that kid you have a shot maybe.

But lets face it. I've been to many youth games now. I don't really recall at this point ever seeing a kid like that. A kid that just crushed three or four opposing players whenever he or she wanted to. That is how rare of a talent we are talking about.

Most of us will not even set eyes on a player like that. Let alone will that talent be one of our own kids. Its just very rare. I think that is what people are missing. Its not just good enough for your kid to be the best player on his team. He has to be the best player around for like five or six counties and also be better than all the kids in all the age groups.

Comment

Everyone thinks their kid is going pro. That why youth soccer is a multi billion dollar industry.

Comment

Folks, not everyone will be a Messi, but Messi doesn’t play alone, there are 10 more on the field with him, and a whole bench also waiting on the ready. There is potential for any player to make it. And for that player, getting to play soccer for money is making it. I know many people that rather be on the pitch then stuck in traffic heading to the office. They don’t all need to make millions, but if they can put a roof over their head and food on the table by doing what they love, that’s awesome.

Comment

Folks, not everyone will be a Messi, but Messi doesn’t play alone, there are 10 more on the field with him, and a whole bench also waiting on the ready. There is potential for any player to make it. And for that player, getting to play soccer for money is making it. I know many people that rather be on the pitch then stuck in traffic heading to the office. They don’t all need to make millions, but if they can put a roof over their head and food on the table by doing what they love, that’s awesome.
                              I agree, but having a college degree, and then pursuing pro soccer should be the path. Soccer won’t put food on the table if you have a family and no degree.

Comment

PSG Youth Academy in ft lauderdale is 81k per year thats net money vs MLS salary of 56K. Something is not right here, this twisted mentality is USA has to get real!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X