Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westport...worst parents in all youth sports?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Parental conduct at some places is worse than ever. Many of today's parents appear more bold, more entitled than in the past. It is a serious issue.
    So our oldest who is now in college was a ref all 4 years in HS. He was so bothered by sideline behaviour that it was a topic of his Senior Capstone project. He designed a survey and had dozens of refs and coaches fill it out after games. In the end I think he had datapoints on a few hundred games in the area plus at some big tournaments. It was a cool project with some interesting conclusions. I don't remember all but here are some nuggets that do stand out.

-At younger levels, bad behaviour inversely correlates to strength of teams. Parents of kids on B/C teams generally behave worse (which I guess is supported by the guy who said, his uLittle B/C team played Westport). My son's hypothesis was that it's a subconscious reaction to parents realizing the kid is not good or performing to their expectations. At older levels (above u14) weaker teams have better behavior.

-At older levels, bad behaviour directly correlates to lower socio-economic status of team/town. Poorer towns behave more poorly. His hypothesis was that stakes are higher with possibility of college or scholarship, so parents over-react.

He also ranked all the towns from most incidents to worst. Westport was not #1. It was #3 or 4. I think #1 was Danbury. I've always thought Danbury parents were quite civilized but his sample said otherwise.

Comment

Its ridiculous the fans ride the hometown refs because it’s kids from the community.
      That was the worst part of the Westport game. The kids new the ref's name, so clearly they knew who he was. Even in a big town like Westport someone knows the ref. Poor kid went to school on Mon with the older brothers and sisters of these little d-bags and probably had to relive it all over again.

Comment

Its ridiculous the fans ride the hometown refs because it’s kids from the community.
        Hell Westport parents yell at coaches, other teams players, or fans. They aren't picky

Comment

So our oldest who is now in college was a ref all 4 years in HS. He was so bothered by sideline behaviour that it was a topic of his Senior Capstone project. He designed a survey and had dozens of refs and coaches fill it out after games. In the end I think he had datapoints on a few hundred games in the area plus at some big tournaments. It was a cool project with some interesting conclusions. I don't remember all but here are some nuggets that do stand out.

-At younger levels, bad behaviour inversely correlates to strength of teams. Parents of kids on B/C teams generally behave worse (which I guess is supported by the guy who said, his uLittle B/C team played Westport). My son's hypothesis was that it's a subconscious reaction to parents realizing the kid is not good or performing to their expectations. At older levels (above u14) weaker teams have better behavior.

-At older levels, bad behaviour directly correlates to lower socio-economic status of team/town. Poorer towns behave more poorly. His hypothesis was that stakes are higher with possibility of college or scholarship, so parents over-react.

He also ranked all the towns from most incidents to worst. Westport was not #1. It was #3 or 4. I think #1 was Danbury. I've always thought Danbury parents were quite civilized but his sample said otherwise.
          That appeared to be a good project.
          The first hypothesis is on the right track, but their are also contributing factors of adult anxiety and ego defensiveness . Over time, the behavior of the parents may change due to a familiarity with a once unknown or somewhat unknown environment.

I think the second issue is a bit off base. Without specific information regarding the socio-economic levels of the teams at play , a clear and specific hypothesis becomes difficult without that information.

The College Scholarship issue does have some truth to it, but in my experience from what I have seen, the are many problems with semi affluent socioeconomic parents accepting the decisions of the Referee. Fathers of younger age girls in this category many times are the leading actors.

And clearly, in any study or project in this matter , ignorance is the leading contributor to negative behavior. The combinations of anxiety, ego defensiveness and ignorance are the perfect storm. In a study I one did, negative behavior seemed to peak later in the day on Sunday, and my conclusion was that psychologically the return to the work week added additional anxiety

Comment

soccer refs should be paid in advance, and give the coaches a warning if any sideline comments are directed their way. on second infraction, free kick. on third, forfeiture by offending team. coaches need to take responsibility too and boot offending parents from the field.

i agree with the study that this is worst with younger and lesser teams. better teams have their issues too, but that's usually just parents joysticking, which is amusing.

Comment

The first hypothesis is on the right track, but their are also contributing factors of adult anxiety and ego defensiveness . Over time, the behavior of the parents may change due to a familiarity with a once unknown or somewhat unknown environment.

I think the second issue is a bit off base. Without specific information regarding the socio-economic levels of the teams at play , a clear and specific hypothesis becomes difficult without that information.

The College Scholarship issue does have some truth to it, but in my experience from what I have seen, the are many problems with semi affluent socioeconomic parents accepting the decisions of the Referee. Fathers of younger age girls in this category many times are the leading actors.

And clearly, in any study or project in this matter , ignorance is the leading contributor to negative behavior. The combinations of anxiety, ego defensiveness and ignorance are the perfect storm. In a study I one did, negative behavior seemed to peak later in the day on Sunday, and my conclusion was that psychologically the return to the work week added additional anxiety
              You sound like an expert in the field. Have you done in depth studies on this topic for work or are these just your own opinions/observations?

Comment

You sound like an expert in the field. Have you done in depth studies on this topic for work or are these just your own opinions/observations?
                Both.

Comment

dude my kids average premier team spanked weatport at a tourney and the parents literally chased the ref doen after the game. i think it was the c team ffs.

Comment

soccer refs should be paid in advance, and give the coaches a warning if any sideline comments are directed their way. on second infraction, free kick. on third, forfeiture by offending team. coaches need to take responsibility too and boot offending parents from the field.

i agree with the study that this is worst with younger and lesser teams. better teams have their issues too, but that's usually just parents joysticking, which is amusing.
                    I think the challenge is that it's easier for a 14 year old to caution or card a 11 year old. Doing that to an adult... much less a parent in their town (who they may know) may be too much to ask for a kid.

Yes the kid is in charge but I don't know if I had the balls as a 14 year old to red card a parent or a coach.

Comment

dude my kids average premier team spanked weatport at a tourney and the parents literally chased the ref doen after the game. i think it was the c team ffs.
                      Let me guess at WIN the Westport tournament... didn't you know it's their birthright to win that tournament

Comment

The kid did a project- it served his purpose and the father shared the insight with us
                        I dont remember the poster asking for your 2 Fn cents
                        You are probs from Danbury

Comment

The kid did a project- it served his purpose and the father shared the insight with us
                          I dont remember the poster asking for your 2 Fn cents
                          You are probs from Danbury
                          Well besides being Tuesday, the last paragraph appears to apply to you.

Comment

Well besides being Tuesday, the last paragraph appears to apply to you.
                            ignorant? i pegged you as an Ahole from the first sentence- thats pretty quick

you didnt know you were one 3 paragraphs into your synopsis-

Comment

I think the challenge is that it's easier for a 14 year old to caution or card a 11 year old. Doing that to an adult... much less a parent in their town (who they may know) may be too much to ask for a kid.

Yes the kid is in charge but I don't know if I had the balls as a 14 year old to red card a parent or a coach.
                              In a town like Westport MK knows all. If a kid ref is too tough on one of his teams, he knows the sibling that needs to be benched to send a message. The refs are afraid to caution the same coaches who also work with their brothers/sisters.

Success is a choice - if you choose to have your coaches intimidate 14 year old refs.

Comment

In a town like Westport MK knows all. If a kid ref is too tough on one of his teams, he knows the sibling that needs to be benched to send a message. The refs are afraid to caution the same coaches who also work with their brothers/sisters.

Success is a choice - if you choose to have your coaches intimidate 14 year old refs.
                                Mk is beachside one?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X