What do coaches look for in tryouts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kid has been sick with respiratory issue. do you mention it during tryouts?

Hi everyone,
    as you know allergy season is in high gear. My kid was sick last week and it has set off my kid coughing quite a bit and having some asthma issues. This means that he will not perform normally/ optimally.

How would you suggest we handle it? I would imagine trainers/coaches don't want to hear excuses.

Do you tell the trainers/ administrators before the session begins that my kid has been sick or Should he just play and hopefully the coaches may notice the coughing and/or just take the inhaler when necessary?
    How do you suggest we handle it.
    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      On the other hand, my daughter has always shown well at tryouts because she has been willing to play the middle when everyone else doesn't want to (fwiw, she is an outside midfielder on her team). So if he's got any inclination to play the middle, go for it.
      This seems odd to me. Not saying it's true, but seems odd. From what I've seen, the better kids are always in the middle (as they generally should be) and getting them to go wide is more of the problem.

Comment

What do coaches look for in tryouts?

Good response, but you realize the responses above were advice given by coaches to players? This is not "daddy" advice, it's actual feedback to given to players by coaches. So coaches are going to see things differently among themselves.
        How do you know that. No earlier poster identified as a coach; all sounded like daddy advice.

Comment

Allergy Season

Hi everyone,
          as you know allergy season is in high gear. My kid was sick last week and it has set off my kid coughing quite a bit and having some asthma issues. This means that he will not perform normally/ optimally.

How would you suggest we handle it? I would imagine trainers/coaches don't want to hear excuses.

Do you tell the trainers/ administrators before the session begins that my kid has been sick or Should he just play and hopefully the coaches may notice the coughing and/or just take the inhaler when necessary?
          How do you suggest we handle it.
          Thank you.
          I'm the coach of a U-13 DA team.

As it pertains to Allergies, inhalers, sickness, etc.... ABSOLUTELY tell the coach prior to the session.

The way it should be done is. Coach, I'm not at my best today, I'm a little under the weather with 'xxxx' and I might need an inhaler at times because of the allergies. I intend to be here today, and at the next try out, so if I falter please lend me some rope over the next session when I'll be 100% and ready to kick ass.

Comment

This seems odd to me. Not saying it's true, but seems odd. From what I've seen, the better kids are always in the middle (as they generally should be) and getting them to go wide is more of the problem.
            Right, so that’s consistent with my daughter showing well at tryouts. Just offering a counter to the post that recommended avoiding playing the middle.

Comment

Hello from France, this is Arsène Wenger, and I wanted to included myself in this discussion....

Comment

Hello from France, this is Arsène Wenger, and I wanted to included myself in this discussion....
                Hi Arsene! Huge Arsenal fan and and admirer of yours. You changed the landscape in the EPL 20 years ago, and for the better. So, thank you.

As you know, typically you'd look for gifted players with no spine. So, they can easily hide when the game gets rough or as your counterpart, Sir Alex would say, "squeaky bum time".

Comment

Many coaches still look for size and sprint speed. Everyone says they look for vision, technical skills and awareness but somehow that always seems to mean tall kids. For all of the lip service about development and soccer ability many clubs still just look to poach tall kids.

Comment

Many coaches still look for size and sprint speed. Everyone says they look for vision, technical skills and awareness but somehow that always seems to mean tall kids. For all of the lip service about development and soccer ability many clubs still just look to poach tall kids.
                    hahahaha, truth.

AW here, well, yes, I like technical too, but as we french say, Taller is better,,,!

Comment

Bigger/faster gets you noticed. Sad but true.

Comment

Bigger/faster gets you noticed. Sad but true.
                        Many of the tryouts I’ve seen are done 7v7 or smaller. Small field favors quicker and more technical players than it does big and fast.

Comment

Many of the tryouts I’ve seen are done 7v7 or smaller. Small field favors quicker and more technical players than it does big and fast.
                          To an extent a technical player can look good on a small field but in a tryout that only lasts until they get shouldered off the ball by the tall kid.

Comment

To an extent a technical player can look good on a small field but in a tryout that only lasts until they get shouldered off the ball by the tall kid.
                            Or, the big fast kid looks good until they lose the ball because their first touch isn't great. Or the quick technical kid breaks their ankles. It works both ways.

Comment

Do any of the coaches out there look at RAE? Curious.

Comment

Right, so that’s consistent with my daughter showing well at tryouts. Just offering a counter to the post that recommended avoiding playing the middle.
                                The OP said son was "not experience of the speed and decisions made at a higher level"

If you are trying to play the middle at younger age and you can't make those quick decisions you will (a) show your inexperience, (b) look faulty making decisions, (c) look slow. The OP also said their son was quick and had good ability, hence the recommendation to play outside - to showcase speed, making runs, 1v1, finishing, and getting back on D. YMMV.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X