Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Everyone has choices reasons. No right or wrong answers for each individual. But HS soccer isn't the debacle that some make it out to be, at least not in L and LL
    HS is measured by different standards tho. People on here hammer the GDA for competition levels. HS is worse. They talk about training with other elite players. most HS teams have wide spread in talent. Multiple games is viewed as a positive ( I dont think it is). to me, they are different animals and there is clear reasons to do either.

Where I diverge is the implication that HS breeds qualities that you cannot develop in Club soccer like leadership etc. I totally disagree.

Comment

Everyone has choices reasons. No right or wrong answers for each individual. But HS soccer isn't the debacle that some make it out to be, at least not in L and LL
      My kid loves HS soccer. The games are typically ugly due to the general lack of knowledge of most players. Also, the two man crews for the regular season means that games are not always officiated well.

The plus side is that its typically a cool experience. My daughter makes the paper most weeks and will be Captain as a senior. Loves being an on field leader and the younger players look up to her as they knows she's moving onto college soccer. Great leadership stuff for later in life.

Class S and M leave a lot to be desired so I can see what kids opt out of that.

Comment

HS is measured by different standards tho. People on here hammer the GDA for competition levels. HS is worse. They talk about training with other elite players. most HS teams have wide spread in talent. Multiple games is viewed as a positive ( I dont think it is). to me, they are different animals and there is clear reasons to do either.

Where I diverge is the implication that HS breeds qualities that you cannot develop in Club soccer like leadership etc. I totally disagree.
        Yes that's true but HS provides many other intangibles that club cannot. Kids now have options, but USSF and clubs underestimated the draw with girls. I know why they allowed a grandfathering but they should have stuck to no HS from the start. Then they would have better gauged who really wanted it. Girls are not looking to play professionally, there's no free clubs to play for to better make the case for sacrificing HS sports.

Comment

My kid loves HS soccer. The games are typically ugly due to the general lack of knowledge of most players. Also, the two man crews for the regular season means that games are not always officiated well.

The plus side is that its typically a cool experience. My daughter makes the paper most weeks and will be Captain as a senior. Loves being an on field leader and the younger players look up to her as they knows she's moving onto college soccer. Great leadership stuff for later in life.

Actually, L and LL are borderline dangerous due to the 2 (old) person crews who cannot keep up with the speed of play. Ask the girl from Warde going to Wake Forest, or the Junior at Staples who will not be playing next year to protect her D1 scholarship, the list is qute long for the better players being physical targets in HS.

Comment

Agreed. It isn't always ponies and rainbows but the pros outweigh the cons for my kids. I would also add that while the stands certainly aren't filled all the time we so get decent showings and it's a lot of fun to play in front of classmates. No one goes to club games except at most one parent who drove.

Comment

Yes that's true but HS provides many other intangibles that club cannot. Kids now have options, but USSF and clubs underestimated the draw with girls. I know why they allowed a grandfathering but they should have stuck to no HS from the start. Then they would have better gauged who really wanted it. Girls are not looking to play professionally, there's no free clubs to play for to better make the case for sacrificing HS sports.

Like what ? please tell us what they are. I cant think of any

Comment

We don't pay $5-6K for Professional coaches in HS soccer, so it is much harder to complain. Not to mention, for most high schools, the players are confined geographically to a single town or two.

Comment

Actually, L and LL are borderline dangerous due to the 2 (old) person crews who cannot keep up with the speed of play. Ask the girl from Warde going to Wake Forest, or the Junior at Staples who will not be playing next year to protect her D1 scholarship, the list is qute long for the better players being physical targets in HS.
                  Yeah, GDA and ECNL dont have buffaloes chugging into each other at top speed with officials that do not take control (mostly because they don't know the rules). Its no different. Play because you love it or take up hop scotch.

Comment

We don't pay $5-6K for Professional coaches in HS soccer, so it is much harder to complain. Not to mention, for most high schools, the players are confined geographically to a single town or two.

Im not complaining. Im just responding to people who think that HS and Club are similar in standard.

Comment

Im not complaining. Im just responding to people who think that HS and Club are similar in standard.
                      I don't see anyone claiming that from a soccer standpoint, especially vs the "top" leagues. A few top HS teams in the state produce a decent product but that's it. Most posters seem to be saying that HS delivers on other components that club does not like playing with your classmates, playing for your school, school spirit, swag, friends watching you play (albeit in small numbers but certainly more than club), accolades, name in paper etc. To some kids none of that matters, to some it does. They're only kids once so if they want to play it they should. My kids also used HS to play other positions they don't normally in club, making them more versatile. Both were/will be captains which always is liked by college admissions offices. Rightly or wrongly schools are more interested in HS athletes/leaders than club. Multi sport varsity even better.

Comment

They are just fundamentally different. One is tax payer supported as part of the educational system and one is a private activity.

Comment

I don't see anyone claiming that from a soccer standpoint, especially vs the "top" leagues. A few top HS teams in the state produce a decent product but that's it. Most posters seem to be saying that HS delivers on other components that club does not like playing with your classmates, playing for your school, school spirit, swag, friends watching you play (albeit in small numbers but certainly more than club), accolades, name in paper etc. To some kids none of that matters, to some it does. They're only kids once so if they want to play it they should. My kids also used HS to play other positions they don't normally in club, making them more versatile. Both were/will be captains which always is liked by college admissions offices. Rightly or wrongly schools are more interested in HS athletes/leaders than club. Multi sport varsity even better.
                          there is emotional value in the things you mention, thats fine. I see many people comparing GDA and ECNL who say the extra 2.5 months of GDA is not that different to HS if you are on a good team with a decent coach. Clearly it depends on the GDA , but for us, it is very different and the HS team is a state champion.

its quite possible that where you like, there is a greater sense of community. For some, the Club provides all the things you list.

Comment

Guess who won......again? 10-1-1 in the last 12; playoff bound. See you in San Diego.

Comment

Oakwood must of won. Playing the JV league. Great job.

Comment

Guess who won......again? 10-1-1 in the last 12; playoff bound. See you in San Diego.
                                Cha-ching. More $ for US Soccer. Pay to play at its finest. Most expensive league to date. Making soccer available to the masses ..... Woot woot.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X