Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I like the truth, my friend. I don't doubt that those who get into Harvard are "elite", but how exactly that is defined is at question.

"Basically what you see is that highly selective institutions are institutions for kids from affluent families. You'll often hear that such-and-such a donation to an already-wealthy institution is a great idea because it's going to financial aid. But when only about 5 percent of your class is coming from the bottom quarter of the income distribution (and we can assume that very little of that 5 percent is coming from the really truly poor) then even this financial aid is extremely poorly targeted. Meanwhile, the demographics of highly selective institutions reveal that highly selective institutions remain what they always have been—mechanisms for the perpetuation of inequality and hierarchy."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/..._students.html
    I never said that people who get into Harvard are "elite". I don't think in those terms. I said the institution is elite and every metric commonly applied to institutions of higher learning supports that. To argue otherwise is ludicrous and is akin to looking an elite soccer clubs record over the years and rather than giving credit to the players on the field one instead claims that "I'm sure their fans are elite" based on the ticket prices? ridiculous.

Clearly grinding your ax. Tedious. Boring. I'll say so.

Comment

I never said that people who get into Harvard are "elite". I don't think in those terms. I said the institution is elite and every metric commonly applied to institutions of higher learning supports that. To argue otherwise is ludicrous and is akin to looking an elite soccer clubs record over the years and rather than giving credit to the players on the field one instead claims that "I'm sure their fans are elite" based on the ticket prices? ridiculous.

Clearly grinding your ax. Tedious. Boring. I'll say so.
      Then you are the only one in America who doesn't call those who attend Harvard "elite". But the bigger picture comes under the title of that which many of those same "elites" like to make today - "it takes a village to raise a child". So how does giving hundreds of millions to an elite institution like Harvard help the truly needy?

You said, "I suggest that if you find college tuition is forcing people into debt, the place to attack that is not at the top end of the distribution, but to bring tuition at the state colleges and universities down....after all that's going to open the doors to the most people,who are currently priced out." I'm not one of the billionaires giving to Harvard or Yale to see my name on another building, theater or otherwise. It is these people who should be giving to the state universities. It would be dollars best spent if the true goal is to better Ametican society.

Comment

But the bigger picture comes under the title of that which many of those same "elites" like to make today - "it takes a village to raise a child". So how does giving hundreds of millions to an elite institution like Harvard help the truly .
        Whew.mim not a harvard grad myself so I'm. to elite enough to diagram that sentence.

In any case,

https://college.harvard.edu/financia...rks/fact-sheet

So what is it that you want?

1/5 of students go with no parental contribution.

Yes. I think you are grinding an ax. Students who get in and have need get helped. I allow it's uphill battle to get in from a family below 65k for other structural reasons but what can harvard do to address THAT. Perhaps super patriot Koch brothers can help....harvard is worth 30 billion they are worth 50 billion each. They can make American society better right?

Perhaps they could give the next $100 million to level field for some educationally rather than giving it to MIT.....the alma mater

Comment

Then you are the only one in America who doesn't call those who attend Harvard "elite".
          Are you mad? There are almost 7000 undergrads there and if 20% have parents earning less than 65k.....that's almost 1,400 students who are most certainly not elite. The many making somewhat more aren't either.

Did someone not get the letter hoped for from H?

Comment

Whew.mim not a harvard grad myself so I'm. to elite enough to diagram that sentence.
            That's pretty obvious.

Comment

Are you mad? There are almost 7000 undergrads there and if 20% have parents earning less than 65k.....that's almost 1,400 students who are most certainly not elite. The many making somewhat more aren't either.

Did someone not get the letter hoped for from H?
              We can presume Harvard is much the same.

"52 percent of Yale students receive financial aid*from the university...... 99 percent of families making between $100,000 and $200,000, qualified for aid. In other words, you need to make a ridiculously large amount of money to*not*qualify for aid. You have to be in the 1 percent or very close. And almost half of Yale students are just that rich."

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/12/8590639...-yale-donation

Comment

Here's the most important thing to take away from the Vox article.

"it's not philanthropy. It's not helping people who need help, and it's obscene that (fill in the blank) is getting a massive tax write-off for it. Giving to Yale is not an act of altruism. It's a gigantic, immoral waste of money, and it's long past time we started treating it as such."

Actually with a $32 billion endowment, it's obscene that Harvard isn't paying taxes to the city of Cambridge.

Comment

UNH officials at the college have issued a “bias-free language guide” in an attempt to teach students which words and phrases are deemed “offensive” and “problematic” by the school.* Wouldn’t you know what word is at the very top of the list?! “American”.* That’s right, it’s not a hateful racial slur that they condemn people for uttering. It’s “American” that they consider, in their own words – “a very problematic term which should never be used”.Other “problematic” words on the taxpayer-funded school’s lengthy list include “mothering,” “fathering,” “healthy,” “homosexual,” “rich,” “poor”,* “senior citizen,”* “elders,” “senior citizen,” “overweight” (which the guide says is “arbitrary”), “speech impediment,” “dumb,” “sexual preference,” “manpower,” “freshmen,” “mailman,” and “chairman,” in addition to many many others.The*guide’s broad and extensive, 4,812-word attempt to police language includes an introductory quote by*Melissa Harris-Perry*and covers virtually every nook and cranny of radical leftist identity politics imaginable.The word “American” is “problematic,” according to the University of New Hampshire, because it “assumes the U.S. is the only country inside” land masses — North America, South America and Central America — with the word “America” in their names.The UNH language guide decrees that language users should say “U.S. citizen” or “resident of the U.S.” instead.*For skin color, the taxpayer-funded school in the Live-Free-or-Die state instructs speakers to say “European-American individuals” instead of “Caucasian.

http://turtleboysports.com/universit...-it-offensive/

Comment

"it's not philanthropy. It's not helping people who need help, and it's obscene that (fill in the blank) is getting a massive tax write-off for it. Giving to Yale is not an act of altruism. It's a gigantic, immoral waste of money, and it's long past time we started treating it as such."

Actually with a $32 billion endowment, it's obscene that Harvard isn't paying taxes to the city of Cambridge.
                    With a net worth of $100 billion plus dollars between them, what's obscene is that the Koch brothers can pay 15% or less....on all the riches they add to their Midas pile. I don't think they issue too many scholarships to the needy either.....

Get a clue. If you think harvard has a thumb on scales undue advantage etc from it's power and resources you really kind of have to really come to certain conclusions about the pernicious influence of excessive concentrated wealth and power. Failure to see that reveals you as just another toddler having their favorite tantrum, not an informed educated adult able to make conclusions using first principals.

Comment

WPI ranked ahead of MIT?

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/08/...ring-colleges/

Comment

With a net worth of $100 billion plus dollars between them, what's obscene is that the Koch brothers can pay 15% or less....on all the riches they add to their Midas pile. I don't think they issue too many scholarships to the needy either.....

Get a clue. If you think harvard has a thumb on scales undue advantage etc from it's power and resources you really kind of have to really come to certain conclusions about the pernicious influence of excessive concentrated wealth and power. Failure to see that reveals you as just another toddler having their favorite tantrum, not an informed educated adult able to make conclusions using first principals.
                        At least the Kochs are paying 15%. That's 15% more than Harvard is paying.

Comment

Ghaziabad

Ghaziabad is a city in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh and a part of the National Capital Region of Delhi. It is the administrative headquarters of Ghaziabad district and is the largest city in western Uttar Pradesh, with a population of 1,729,000.

Ghaziabad

Comment

What's really obscene is that the average American wants to suck the blood of the successful.
                            The answer to everything is that someone else should pay.

Comment

Maryanne Trump Barry bitterly criticized her brother, President Donald Trump, saying, "Donald's out for Donald," and appeared to confirm her niece Mary Trump's previous allegations that he had a friend take his SATs to get into college, according to audio excerpts obtained by CNN.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                                what's really obscene is that the billioniares want to suck the blood of average americans. Why else would they be making max profit while an epidemic rages across the country
                                ^^^^^
                                ✊✊✊✊✊

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X