Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    None of the top level teams at any club in CT (boys or girls) gives a rats aśś about for soccer points.
    From U14+ you're right the top clubs don't. But younger than that they very much do because that's where most kids get their initial training - at the smaller clubs around the state. Then the better players start moving up the ladder. Clubs want winning records because parents think that equates to development. Most parents don't know good coaching from bad so the records or fancy tournament schedule is their proxy. A good record keeps new customers coming the door. In this cut throat environment that matters.

Comment

So why all the dlck-measuring on here about which club is "better"?
      Because there's too many clubs and not enough talent. It's survival of the fittest. Don't forget it's an anonymous board so club coaches and management are on here frequently

Comment

Well, not enough talent that values what is being sold at the current price.

Comment

I thought this was a soccer discussion? Basketball is the ultimate individual sport so it doesn't compare.

The rest is all more relevant. An organization that encourages practice time vs. results will always put in better players. With many sports, though, you can't have disparate playing tendencies on the same team and expect great results.

You wouldn't want Xavi playing with Peter Crouch. You put a vision in, and then find players who fit the vision. Many great players didn't shine for the NT because they were redundant (Lampard/Gerrard) or didn't fit the style of play. You just don't always roll out your best individual players and expect great results.
          No, basketball is not the ultimate individual sport. It is a team sport with lots of individuals that play together. The funny thing is that for basketball, on a team with someone like Lebron, the team is built around him to feed him the ball .... because he is great .... same as with Messi and Ronaldo. However, soccer, in the US (especially in the youth game), is far more a sport of individuals trying to beat the masses (almost every kid at every position on any number of youth teams .... ECNL, DA, NPL ..... ). It's ugly to watch and, while it breeds some success for U-little teams, it generally stops working in the teen years even though so many kids continue to do it over and over again.

Comment

Bingo. So, every complaint I am reading has a solution already in place. Sorry people don't like it because, well, pride. But, it's already implemented.
            OK, great .... can we now review the results of the experiment and try to think of a newer version that actually works?

Comment

None of the top level teams at any club in CT (boys or girls) gives a rats aśś about for soccer points.
              This is true, they try so hard to win games in their leagues to show the next group of suckers how good a club we are ..... but they do not play in got soccer tournaments anymore.

Comment

Well, not enough talent that values what is being sold at the current price.
                Anybody that says they can identify the best 100 kids at u12- u14 and start training them at U15 and keep them together for 4 years and have a world class product at the end is nuts. USSF wants you to believes this, USSF coaching wants you to believe this as it is justification that they have the crystal ball. Kids develop at different rates, the pool is way way too small and US kids have alternatives they are not willing to sacrifice for a small probability outcome. Realistically, nobody can do USSF is claiming to do.

Why not diversify your investment. Subsidize those you think that have potential inside the current system (means test so you do not subsidize those that would pay anyway). Or if you think you can do it better, run teams within the existing system that compete in club leagues so you can truly judge if you are better/worse and the national coaches get to see talent not inside their system.

Comment

Anybody that says they can identify the best 100 kids at u12- u14 and start training them at U15 and keep them together for 4 years and have a world class product at the end is nuts. USSF wants you to believes this, USSF coaching wants you to believe this as it is justification that they have the crystal ball. Kids develop at different rates, the pool is way way too small and US kids have alternatives they are not willing to sacrifice for a small probability outcome. Realistically, nobody can do USSF is claiming to do.

Why not diversify your investment. Subsidize those you think that have potential inside the current system (means test so you do not subsidize those that would pay anyway). Or if you think you can do it better, run teams within the existing system that compete in club leagues so you can truly judge if you are better/worse and the national coaches get to see talent not inside their system.
                  ^^^^ I can not agree with you any more .... in fact, let US Soccer hire the greatest coaches and have them pick the best kids from all of America at U16 and train them for 5 years, then I will pick and coach a team a week before the game and I will beat them 99 out of 100 times if not more. If it came in a pill or a bottle, everyone would be in the hall of fame.

Comment

So, the very thing that other countries do, and it's been an example on this very thread, by picking the players and putting them in an environment to succeed, won't work here.

Why not? It works for virtually every country in the world, apparently, but not here....

You want the answer? Egos.

Comment

^^^^ I can not agree with you any more .... in fact, let US Soccer hire the greatest coaches and have them pick the best kids from all of America at U16 and train them for 5 years, then I will pick and coach a team a week before the game and I will beat them 99 out of 100 times if not more. If it came in a pill or a bottle, everyone would be in the hall of fame.

Geezus...did you need to get your door widened so your head could fit through?

Comment

So, the very thing that other countries do, and it's been an example on this very thread, by picking the players and putting them in an environment to succeed, won't work here.

Why not? It works for virtually every country in the world, apparently, but not here....

You want the answer? Egos.
                        let me tell you why has not worked and will not work in the US

1. This is not North Korea. You are told to play on the team (you really do not have a choice) and likely it will give you a better way of life.

2. US kids have alternatives - Give up everything for a 1% shot at national team when you are 12-14 years old. What parent wants that for their kid in the US when you can get to the college you are suited without that sacrifice?

3. These coaches fight to keep these teams together because it reaffirms their own judgement when selecting the kids early on. But show me a coach that kept the same team together for 4 years at this young age and I will show you a fool. No way did he happen to magically select the best 20 kids that early. That is the Ego part of it.

4. USSF cannot afford to make the investment required to make a true national system work like other countries. Unless you find another source of money and the alternative for kids not joining the system less attractive, it will not work.

Comment

1. This is not North Korea. You are told to play on the team (you really do not have a choice) and likely it will give you a better way of life.

2. US kids have alternatives - Give up everything for a 1% shot at national team when you are 12-14 years old. What parent wants that for their kid in the US when you can get to the college you are suited without that sacrifice?

3. These coaches fight to keep these teams together because it reaffirms their own judgement when selecting the kids early on. But show me a coach that kept the same team together for 4 years at this young age and I will show you a fool. No way did he happen to magically select the best 20 kids that early. That is the Ego part of it.

4. USSF cannot afford to make the investment required to make a true national system work like other countries. Unless you find another source of money and the alternative for kids not joining the system less attractive, it will not work.
                          Nothing more true than #3 ..... to replace kids after several years is a shot at a coach or club and their selection and training processes.

Comment

1. Completely voluntary. Not sure how that relates?
                            2. Correct, and it's not for all. But, the pathway is in place should you want to choose it.
                            3. I'm sure they would love to pull from an even larger pool, but if players don't want to take the steps to enter the pool, that's on them. Can't complain about the pool temperature if you never go near it.
                            4. Correct. So, they push it to clubs who are placed all around the country and ask players who do have that ambition to join. Kids don't want to join? Totally fine. I know mine wouldn't want to. But, as long as you have different organizations pushing a different agenda, and then questioning why they miss out, seems odd to me

Comment

1. Completely voluntary. Not sure how that relates?

Because the US is not like North Korea. play soccer eat well, do not play go to prison. there system, no matter how successful in north korea, will not work here.
                              2. Correct, and it's not for all. But, the pathway is in place should you want to choose it.

Missed the point. Are we trying to get the best players in the pool or just the ones willing to give up everything. they may not be the same players

3. I'm sure they would love to pull from an even larger pool, but if players don't want to take the steps to enter the pool, that's on them. Can't complain about the pool temperature if you never go near it.

Missed the point. Coaches have incentive to keep player pool small after initial selection. I would think good rule would be 25% different players at each camp with no player attending more than 2 camps in a row.

4. Correct. So, they push it to clubs who are placed all around the country and ask players who do have that ambition to join. Kids don't want to join? Totally fine. I know mine wouldn't want to. But, as long as you have different organizations pushing a different agenda, and then questioning why they miss out, seems odd to me
                              again, fine if you are not looking for the best soccer players, but the good ones willing to drop everything on a lottery ticket. Do you want the best players or the ones with no other better options or are willing to take a low probability opportunity.

Comment

You are so full of shyte that your eyes have to be brown.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X