Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sports Resumes / Resumes

Somewhere inside the whole mess I created in another topic I posted something about Sports Resumes and how I viewed them as a hiring manager. Probably since it got lost in the shuffle of me bashing and being bashed nobody commented on it. Keeper did ask the question "What's a sports resume". As she is an intelligent and well informed young adult I was a little surprised by the question. I am therefore opening up the discussion as to what parents and coaches do in this regard. I encouraged my daughter and the players I coached to include information about their athletic achievements on their resume as I believe that they provide important information to prospective employers and any other intended target of a resume. I keep my own sports resume updated in case I apply for a coaching position. My daughter also had a sports resume since for several summers she had applied for and received work as a youth counselor at summer sports camps sponsored by the City of Boston. In summary I have two questions (for parents and coaches)

1) How much (if any) sports achievement related information do you include on a regular resume

2) Do you create a separate and more comprehensive resume that is focused solely on sports information as an adjunct to #1.

As I stated earlier as a hiring manager I want to know what an applicants athletic achievements are. It can be a major factor during the hiring process. References are especially important. A reference from a coach can be more important than a reference from a former employer because the coach may know the player better and have a longer term affiliation and relatioship with them.
    Yes
    100.00%
    No information about sports on resume
    0.00%
    No but info included on regular resume
    0.00%

Cujo.

The rate at which you jump to conclusions can be only measured in quantum terms.

When I said, “what resume?â€￾, my question was more about it's purpose and your use of the term, because it read like you were just using the term as a metaphor for how parents talk about their kids.

On a Player Profile or “Soccer Resumeâ€￾ for a College Coach or some other youth soccer related objective, I’d include a lot more detail than on a personal CV or a resume for a Coaching Position.

In that previous topic, the question was about listing DS, D!, D2 or Maple-D. I would never list that level of detail on either type of resume because it is too insignificant a detail, nor would I list specific tournaments or younger age events. The assumption that the person reading the resume would understand such subtle details is presumptuous at best. By U18, there is a lot more important and relevant information to provide in such a limited format and resumes need to become more focused to their objective.

Comment

Originally posted by keeper
      Cujo.

The rate at which you jump to conclusions can be only measured in quantum terms.

When I said, “what resume?â€￾, my question was more about it's purpose and your use of the term, because it read like you were just using the term as a metaphor for how parents talk about their kids.

On a Player Profile or “Soccer Resumeâ€￾ for a College Coach or some other youth soccer related objective, I’d include a lot more detail than on a personal CV or a resume for a Coaching Position.

In that previous topic, the question was about listing DS, D!, D2 or Maple-D. I would never list that level of detail on either type of resume because it is too insignificant a detail, nor would I list specific tournaments or younger age events. The assumption that the person reading the resume would understand such subtle details is presumptuous at best. By U18, there is a lot more important and relevant information to provide in such a limited format and resumes need to become more focused to their objective.

Thanks good response. I wasn't jumping to conclusions - I was truly surprised by your response but your explanation is just fine. I agree that on a standard resume that the amount of information should be focused on the most significant highlights. Obviously the most recent achievements are the most relevant. Don't be afraid to list a lot of your achievements on a sports resume though. FYI - the old standard of limiting resumes to one page is becoming passe. Two pages is fine.

Comment

Cujo is giving career advice now?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
          You should read this more closely.

Comment

You should read this more closely.
            You should read his thougts on resumes in another thread ..........

Comment

Considering that I have been a successful hiring manager for the past 27 years I believe I have something to offer young people in terms of advice. My most recent achievement at work was doing the financial analysis for a rate change and preparing supporting documents and the presentation for our Board of Directors where I work that will result in an additional $20M in annual revenue for my employer.

My department hires between 20 and 25 college students every summer. My preference is to hire college athletes. This summer I have hired soccer, hockey, lacrosse and baseball players. If you want to hammer me for my opinions that is fine but I have a professional resume that is impeccable. I have worked hard for it and I believe in sharing my experience with young people as they emerge from college into the professional world. My views my differ from many regarding youth athletics but I have always put players first and I have helped many in their careers and continue to do so. How many college students did you hire this summer?

In the past I have offered to help find work for students on touchline but found this site too late for this year. Next year I will post in here and offer help to any college student soccer player looking for summer work in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo
                Considering that I have been a successful hiring manager for the past 27 years I believe I have something to offer young people in terms of advice. My most recent achievement at work was doing the financial analysis for a rate change and preparing supporting documents and the presentation for our Board of Directors where I work that will result in an additional $20M in annual revenue for my employer.

My department hires between 20 and 25 college students every summer. My preference is to hire college athletes. This summer I have hired soccer, hockey, lacrosse and baseball players. If you want to hammer me for my opinions that is fine but I have a professional resume that is impeccable. I have worked hard for it and I believe in sharing my experience with young people as they emerge from college into the professional world. My views my differ from many regarding youth athletics but I have always put players first and I have helped many in their careers and continue to do so. How many college students did you hire this summer?

In the past I have offered to help find work for students on touchline but found this site too late for this year. Next year I will post in here and offer help to any college student soccer player looking for summer work in Boston.
                Once again, there's nothing he can't do.

Don't know when you'll stop boasting about personal accomplishments on this forum. It's not as if you're the only successful person that posts here.....

Comment

Don't know when you'll stop boasting about personal accomplishments on this forum. It's not as if you're the only successful person that posts here.....
                  This thread is not about me or any other adult. Let's keep it on topic about young athletes please.

Comment

Let's keep this on topic please.

Comment

Let's keep this on topic please.
                      .....says the master of the hijacked thread..........

Milky white suburban players rule!!!!!
                      let's stay on topic. Does your mommy know you are blogging?

Comment

do you ever pull a muscle while patting yourself on the back? I do hope you are good at something besides being an annoying web geek

Comment

do you ever pull a muscle while patting yourself on the back? I do hope you are good at something besides being an annoying web geek
                          How many college athletes did you provide jobs to this year?

Comment

There's nothing he can't do! It doesn't matter what the answer is, Cuju will reply that he provided more jobs to more kids!

I still haven't seen a reply to the earlier question about what clubs were supposed to do to accommodate his group of club-less urban players. Were they supposed to cut existing players to make room? Oh wait: You want clubs to commit to players for two or three years.
                            http://steelturman.typepad.com/photo.../hypocrite.JPG

Comment

are you trying to solidify your place as most despised poster on this forum? you are doing quite well

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X