Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon DA

Hey, did anyone hear how our Oregon DA teams did?
    I watched Solar beat Concorde....no MLS Academy in final.

How did the Timbers or some of our other Oregon Academies do?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey, did anyone hear how our Oregon DA teams did?
    I watched Solar beat Concorde....no MLS Academy in final.

How did the Timbers or some of our other Oregon Academies do?
    Timbers didn't do jack.

DA playoffs are only for U15 and above, so none of the "little DA" teams participated.

Comment

Timbers didn't do jack.

DA playoffs are only for U15 and above, so none of the "little DA" teams participated.
      So, Oregon had none...any ideas on why we aren't competing well outside of Oregon?

We have a huge club alliance now with a boatload of licensed coaches at all these clubs which have been established for a while now.

Comment

So, Oregon had none...any ideas on why we aren't competing well outside of Oregon?

We have a huge club alliance now with a boatload of licensed coaches at all these clubs which have been established for a while now.
        One team competing outside of Oregon, CU ECNL 03.

Comment

The Academies are on break across the entire country and won't start up again until Aug. The teams competing in summer tourneys are not the actual Academy rosters.

Comment

What, you think Oregon is the only place with club alliances and licensed coaches?

As stated above, in DA the only DA program even eligible is the Timbers. They've generally been one of the weaker DA programs.

In general, we have a talent deficit--SoCal has dozens of clubs that can field teams that can beat any in Oregon, simply because the pyramid there is bigger and taller. To have a tall pyramid, you need a broader base; the notion that by better coaching/organization we can counter SoCal's pyramids of Giza with a Washington Monument is folly. Occasionally, one team will get lucky and exceed local expectations--but in general, I expect that Oregon teams won't be playing for national championships. If we have a team that is top-100 nationally on age, that's a good result.

Comment

One team competing outside of Oregon, CU ECNL 03.
              Correction one team travelling for giggles from Oregon.

Context is always useful.

Comment

What, you think Oregon is the only place with club alliances and licensed coaches?

As stated above, in DA the only DA program even eligible is the Timbers. They've generally been one of the weaker DA programs.

In general, we have a talent deficit--SoCal has dozens of clubs that can field teams that can beat any in Oregon, simply because the pyramid there is bigger and taller. To have a tall pyramid, you need a broader base; the notion that by better coaching/organization we can counter SoCal's pyramids of Giza with a Washington Monument is folly. Occasionally, one team will get lucky and exceed local expectations--but in general, I expect that Oregon teams won't be playing for national championships. If we have a team that is top-100 nationally on age, that's a good result.
                Always with the population excuse.

The level of coaching here is low. The only professional academy here is perhaps the worst in the country in terms of staffing, programming, and outreach.

We get exactly the output you'd expect.

Comment

Always with the population excuse.

The level of coaching here is low. The only professional academy here is perhaps the worst in the country in terms of staffing, programming, and outreach.

We get exactly the output you'd expect.
                  Except for Coach XXX at YYY FC. He and he alone can turn lackluster Oregon players into pint-sized Peles!

No, it's the population base and the soccer culture, first and foremost; not the state of the local professional team. If more kids play and more parents know the game well, then a) the talent pool is deeper, and b) the grifters who act as though teaching tiki-taka or some other "foreign" methodology is a revelation from Heaven, don't get as much breathing room.

If the coaches are to blame, that includes the coaches at your club.

Comment

Except for Coach XXX at YYY FC. He and he alone can turn lackluster Oregon players into pint-sized Peles!

No, it's the population base and the soccer culture, first and foremost; not the state of the local professional team. If more kids play and more parents know the game well, then a) the talent pool is deeper, and b) the grifters who act as though teaching tiki-taka or some other "foreign" methodology is a revelation from Heaven, don't get as much breathing room.

If the coaches are to blame, that includes the coaches at your club.
                    You're on a bit of a personal bit there aren't you? I mean, it takes 2.minuted to track your dislike for one coach across multiple Oregon threads....unfortunate.

No, I don't think just having licensed coaches creates great players nor do I believe that someone coming from a different part of the world doesn't have anything to offer soccer players locally. I too don't believe an accent makes you a coach but I step away from saying that if they teach style "A" they are trying to run a scam. It may just be that person was or is directly involved with individuals who played that style therefore allowing them to see details that others are not capable of seeing.

My whole point was already drawn out....same excuse is used for where Oregon is at...comparison to California. That's what the coaches and fans were stating 2 decades ago when I was playing.

Didn't we have a coach that won a national title with an Oregon team?
                    Anyone recall the name?

Comment

You're on a bit of a personal bit there aren't you? I mean, it takes 2.minuted to track your dislike for one coach across multiple Oregon threads....unfortunate.
                      This comment here isn't specific to MJ or anyone else. Instead, it's reaction to broadsides of "all our local coaches suck". How do you know that? Are you familiar with the experience and methodology of the local coaching pool, and of the equivalents in Seattle (to look at one market)? Or do you just see local teams doing poorly in regional and national tournaments, and blame it all on coaching?

"Everyone sucks!" is the longstanding cry of the grifter.

No, I don't think just having licensed coaches creates great players nor do I believe that someone coming from a different part of the world doesn't have anything to offer soccer players locally. I too don't believe an accent makes you a coach but I step away from saying that if they teach style "A" they are trying to run a scam.
                      It's not teaching a particular style, or having an accent, or brandishing a license, that I have an issue with.

It's pretending as though they have a secret formula that I find annoying. I've no problem with MJ teaching tiki-taka, or Dutch/Spanish coaching philosophy in general. It's marketing such things as magic bullets that turns me off. Below a certain age, kids should be taught technical fundamentals of the game--ball control, passing (how to do it more than when), receiving, shooting, marking. While tactics shouldn't be ignored, they should be in service of technique. (Playing out of the back is frequently tactically stupid--it often leads to turnovers and easy goals until kids are comfortable with the ball under pressure--yet there's a reason that doing so is encouraged in youth soccer).

It may just be that person was or is directly involved with individuals who played that style therefore allowing them to see details that others are not capable of seeing.

My whole point was already drawn out....same excuse is used for where Oregon is at...comparison to California. That's what the coaches and fans were stating 2 decades ago when I was playing.
                      And the same excuse still applies. California still has 30+ million people living it. Oregon is up to 4 million now, and a weaker soccer culture.

Didn't we have a coach that won a national title with an Oregon team?
                      Anyone recall the name?
                      Depending on which titles you consider legit--Tom Atencio won with the THUSC girls; Mark Evans won with an Eastside boys' team, off the top of my head. Unicorns sometimes happen.

Comment

What's easier to fix: low population or low quality of training?

If CA had the quality of academies and coaches we do in OR, they'd be accused of wasting potential.

Stop making excuses.

Comment

What's easier to fix: low population or low quality of training?

If CA had the quality of academies and coaches we do in OR, they'd be accused of wasting potential.

Stop making excuses.
                          If the quality of training is low, how does one fix it? Why do you think it is low? How do you know it is low? (Don't say "results against California", because then we are back to the question of why).

Are coaching wages (compared to costs of living) higher here, or there?

Is club formation easier there, or here? Are clubs there more or less protected from "poaching" than clubs here? Do state officials in CA enforce technical standards against clubs/coaches, and are they effective?

In short, what are they doing differently in CA? What is being done poorly or not at all here?

Comment

The do more with less argument works until the big markets start doing more with more.

Comment

The do more with less argument works until the big markets start doing more with more.
                              Way better to do less and get less, right?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X