Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you have kids, please take them out of soccer and invest the money in something else. You'll be happier, your kids will be happier, and we will be happier for not having to read passive aggressive questions like this.

Lets break this down. We assume practice will make you better at something correct? And repeatedly practicing something will increase your ability to do what it is that your are practicing, correct?

If we take NPSL as an example. Teams like Seattle United West Blue practice two days a week for a total of three hours for the week. The next tier up, the B team in RCL practices 3 days a week for a total of 4.5 hours. If you are in NPSL and you want to move up, you need to find another day of quality practice. This is not "practice on your own" but a session that pushes the player to the edge of their abilities. So remember than the B team player may be doing the same thing as well. So you need to really add two hours of practice a week to move up from NPSL to RCL.

From our own experience, I can easily break down hours like this:

Seattle United Select (NPSL) - 2 practices = 3 hours a week
    Seattle United Tango (RCL 2 to 3) - 3 practices 4.5 hours a week and extra training = 5-6 hours a week
    Seattle United Copa (RCL 1) - 3 practices 5-6 hours a week + extra training = 8-10 hours a week
    Average HS player (Varsity) - 3-4 practices and two games a week = 8 hours a week
    ECNL - 3 practices + outside training (weights, Toca, private) = 11 hours a week
    DA - 4 Practices for 6+ hours, private/outside training = 12-14 hours a week

Pick a level. If you are the level below, you should be matching the training schedule of the team you want to be on.

My own opinion is that private training is more useful for the older players. So Freshman and up. Younger players would benefit more from group sessions with Coerver or Toca until they develop the skills needed to play the higher levels. Having a private trainer teach basic ball skills is quite expensive, and they would be better at helping an individual hone their current skills or develop a specific skill set.
    Agreed, 100%! I'd add that, for the younger set, in my opinion, it's all about enjoyment when "training" outside of practice times. As an example, we started to set up pickup days (sometimes on weekends and sometimes on weekdays) at our club when my girls were U10 and U13 respectively and it was pretty well attended. The kiddos would play with some mixed age groups, had fun, got to try out new stuff (nutmegs were the goal of many...…) and even the Coaches would jump in and play. We continued this for a few years and, you know what happened, the kids that came to those sessions regularly were leaps and bound ahead of the other kids. Not that you HAVE to do this. But, for the crew that wants to, pickup can be a great learning experience and a good "culture" to get in to. I've got my youngest playing her last year of ECNL now. We regularly play pickup with College aged players anywhere from Tacoma to Lakewood to Evergreen State college. If there's a field open and we've got a crew we go play. We just shoot out some messages to a huge group of people we've met along the way, name a field and time, and whoever shows up shows up. Sometimes we've got 10 v 10 and sometimes we play 3 v 3. It's always fun and it's always different. Bottom line, you can't progress if you don't play/practice. If you're getting more time on the ball you're going to get better (as with just about anything). But, it's GOT TO BE FUN. You can't force your kid to do it or you're going to burn them out (and waste your money). They have to want to do it. My kids were always waaaay more into soccer than I was so it was easy. They typically spent their time convincing me to drive them to this field or that field (I mean, hey, we're on the field training three to four times a week.....a Dad needs a break!). I always gave in though.

Comment

Most academies now have realised that cone induced drills are a complete waste of time . Look at Liverpool and Ajax both argue against manipulated situations as it restricts freedom to think . Coaches obviously won’t tell you that as they would end up jobless .
      I actually disagree with this statement. A short session a week of Beastmode type stuff (maybe for 30-45 minutes) for a couple years turned my girls into absolutely ankle breaking players. We did the beastmode stuff on our own for the most part though. It's great stuff. You couple that with regular training, some pickup, and you're gonna slay (this goes for adults too.....it upped my old assed game greatly doing the stuff with them).

Comment

Ahhhhh a coach has spoken !
        Nope. Just a parent that has done the whole thing...my oldest from select through DA and on to college, with all the coerver, Toca, Private, and Group coaching that was required. Some good, some just OK, and a lot of observation of Bad.

My son is now starting and it's a different tact. We didn't get them into a club until U11. From 7 to 10 years of age it was just Coerver twice a week and rec and going to the field on our own. Now he's at a club, but we are not doing any expensive travel or private coaching. It's still just his club practices and Coerver. If he wants to continue and play to Varsity in HS, or go into RCL then ECNL, then we will look at more coaching.

Comment

I actually disagree with this statement. A short session a week of Beastmode type stuff (maybe for 30-45 minutes) for a couple years turned my girls into absolutely ankle breaking players. We did the beastmode stuff on our own for the most part though. It's great stuff. You couple that with regular training, some pickup, and you're gonna slay (this goes for adults too.....it upped my old assed game greatly doing the stuff with them).
          Also Renegade Soccer and Techne. Great programs, along with BeastMode that can create amazing players. There is, however, some value being coached by a human v. YouTube however. Assuming, that it’s the correct human of course.

Comment

Well what’s the end game to it all ? At that level you will be lucky to make a high school team let alone college ! I knew it would upset coaches , as giving these kids hope is what you base your business model on ! We have to be real with our kids . My son is a very good soccer player but that’s it ! He’s not making it pro , school is first up soccer is his hobby .
            Maybe they just want to make their HS team. What is wrong with that? Maybe they want to play for a Junior College. What’s wrong with that? Maybe they want to be better in adult leagues. What’s wrong with that?

Get over yourself. There’s nothing wrong with spending money and time on a hobby.

Comment

Maybe they just want to make their HS team. What is wrong with that? Maybe they want to play for a Junior College. What’s wrong with that? Maybe they want to be better in adult leagues. What’s wrong with that?

Get over yourself. There’s nothing wrong with spending money and time on a hobby.
              Facts. I can't tell you how much money I spent on snowboarding, skateboarding, mountain biking, surfing, windsurfing......you name it, when growing up (I consider myself to have been "growing up" well into my 30's...…). NONE, I repeat, none of that money was "wasted". If the kid digs the sport and like what he/she is doing then it's not a waste. Don't worry about the outcomes.

Comment

You sound like another average coach trying to justify your worth . Get over YOURself

Comment

Here is good coach https://www.nxtgenukfootballacademy.com/

Comment

Reckon someone’s self promoting themselves . 😂 everything copied from
                    Joner 1on 1 and very poor instructions . I’d take that down if I was you before a real coach sees it . The videos are shocking !

Comment

I know him from Kent United . Nice guy but lacks in enthusiasm, also wanted to do private lessons under the table as he didn’t have the necessary permit to work . Too shady for me .

Comment

At least two former Sounders are charging $150 per hour. See, CoachUp. That is crazy money and emphasizes the money divide in youth soccer.

Comment

Reckon someone’s self promoting themselves . 😂 everything copied from
                          Joner 1on 1 and very poor instructions . I’d take that down if I was you before a real coach sees it . The videos are shocking !
                          Just looked at joner on YouTube . He is excellent with great energy . Where can I find a coach like that ? The difference between him and the coach that posted his own website is huge . Just shows the difference between a real professional and a coach who is not . Does anyone know if joner ever comes this way to coach ?

Comment

Want one of the best instructors around here you go
                            http://www.elitefutboltraining.com/home.html

He now has students playing in Europe pro leagues, national team, reign players come train with him. Most positive and skillful soccer person we have ever met. One of our states all time players.

Comment

He now has students playing in Europe pro leagues, national team, reign players come train with him. Most positive and skillful soccer person we have ever met. One of our states all time players.
                              I have to call out this obvious selfie from David. Best instructor? Ha.
                              Yes, I got suckered into couple lessons with the master of balls here.
                              My naive thinking was hey that guy has students. How bad could it be?
                              He preys on ulittle parents limited knowledge and charges max prices.
                              His drills are so old and out of date. Better to find youtube videos than this clown.

Best trainer I found exposes this fraud as a know nothing clown.
                              My kid even said David is a clown compared the trainer we used.
                              Alas, this trainer doesn't do privates anymore. Best person ever.
                              Go watch his master lessons at Robinswood. Same crap. Over and over again.
                              Bellevue parks should ban him as a child predator of bullcrap.
                              He doesn't coach just trains. Makes living suckering parents.
                              But I blame the idiot parents not knowing any better. Sad.

Comment

Al time players ???? I just read his profile and the nearest he got was semi pro ! I get you want to promote your buddy but let’s please talk real . There should be some type of database where claims that this guy played at Chelsea’s youth team or that guy played at some college I personally have never heard of can be verified. Just because a guy has taken coaching badges and watched a few videos on YouTube does not mean he is competent . I come from Europe where not one of these guys would get a job even at minimum wage , why do the foreign coaches come here ? Because no one would pay them anywhere close to what they make here . You would have to be a truly exceptional coach with a lot of playing experience at a good level to get anywhere close to what they make here . These guys laugh at American parents .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X