Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private lessons

Lately I have been seeing in local fields a fair number of kids taking private lessons from supposed professional coaches . Just wondering what the benefits to it are ? Do you think those lessons could turn your kid into the next messi ? I have heard that kids on my sons team have been having private lessons and see absolutely no improvements . Anyone (other then coaches of course lol) be able to show me what the benefits of it are ?

relax...not everyone has a mom or dad that has played or knows anything about soccer. What one does with their money and their free time is none of your bees wax. Holla!

Comment

Normally it’s delusional parents thinking if they can just throw a bit more money at it Jonny will become an awesome player! Sorry $50 an hour and playing in npsl div 2 means you are throwing your money and time away . Do yourself a favor ,go on You tube watch joner 1on1 and you can teach your kid yourself quite easily . That’s all the brain dead coaches copy anyway .

Comment

Private lessons can be great if you have the right coach. Typically look outside the club you play for but unfortunately there are too many private instructors that have no clue what they are doing so do your homework. The are many articles about how stale club practices get and how there isnt enough touches to go around in practice. 1 hour private lesson could get your kid more touches than a week of club practices. On the girls side a lot of experts have said girls top out on skill at about 15 without some kind of outside their club training. I've seen it first hand.
        The problem is most people just go do a private training here or there and think magically their kid will be the next messi. It takes a continued program that your kid goes to weekly for a long time before you start to see the big improvements. After a few months you will see the huge differences and even have parents coming up to asking how your kid has jumped ahead of everyone else in skill.
        The kids that have the best study habits, train the hardest and just dont show up to practice or school tend to be the ones that succeed the most.

Comment

Unreal. You are really going to get passive aggressive about kids doing private training? Who cares? It’s not your kid, your time, or your money. A lot of kids also do private tutoring. Do their parents think magically their kid will be the next Steve Jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Sorry $50 an hour and playing in npsl div 2 means you are throwing your money and time away . Do yourself a favor ,go on You tube watch joner 1on1 and you can teach your kid yourself quite easily . That’s all the brain dead coaches copy anyway .
            So a kid that plays NPSL 2 is just wasting their time trying to get better? Why do you care?

Comment

Private lessons can be great if you have the right coach. Typically look outside the club you play for but unfortunately there are too many private instructors that have no clue what they are doing so do your homework. The are many articles about how stale club practices get and how there isnt enough touches to go around in practice. 1 hour private lesson could get your kid more touches than a week of club practices. On the girls side a lot of experts have said girls top out on skill at about 15 without some kind of outside their club training. I've seen it first hand.
              The problem is most people just go do a private training here or there and think magically their kid will be the next messi. It takes a continued program that your kid goes to weekly for a long time before you start to see the big improvements. After a few months you will see the huge differences and even have parents coming up to asking how your kid has jumped ahead of everyone else in skill.
              The kids that have the best study habits, train the hardest and just dont show up to practice or school tend to be the ones that succeed the most.
              Totally agree with the top part , look outside the club that you play at . Far too many issues to deal with paying within the club . What happens if you stop paying and that coach gets to run your try outs ? What happens if your kid is in the bottom end of the team and getting private lessons ? If you think other parents don’t spot special treatment then you are in for a surprise . I would highly recommend a coach that is not coaching at any other club who’s only interest is the client in front of them .

Comment

So a kid that plays NPSL 2 is just wasting their time trying to get better? Why do you care?
                Well what’s the end game to it all ? At that level you will be lucky to make a high school team let alone college ! I knew it would upset coaches , as giving these kids hope is what you base your business model on ! We have to be real with our kids . My son is a very good soccer player but that’s it ! He’s not making it pro , school is first up soccer is his hobby .

Comment

Unreal. You are really going to get passive aggressive about kids doing private training? Who cares? It’s not your kid, your time, or your money. A lot of kids also do private tutoring. Do their parents think magically their kid will be the next Steve Jobs?
                  I think you nailed it. Parents (me included) pay for all sorts of lessons for many activities. Which the hope is to make our kids more well rounded, get them out in the world, and learn from other people in a positive way. If privates soccer lessons are enjoyable and the kid sees value in them. Then more power to the parents to spend their money on private soccer lessons. I paid for my kid to have private piano lessons for a few years. In no case did I ever think he was going to get a scholarship or go piano pro. But he learned something and had fun and added to his life experiences. <Patting myself on the back for a good parenting moment>

Comment

Depends

I have a goalkeeper. Private lessons with qualified coaches have taught the correct form and movements to ensure safety and accuracy. This is something we have never found at team training. Team training is more about playing together and perfecting the game as a whole. If you see your player lagging behind in a specific area and it bothers them. Look into a few private lessons. But definitely ask around and find a good fit. Some people just want to take your money and will waste your time. Others really care about their craft and take pride in helping kids excel.

Comment

A great coach can teach your kid a lot more than just soccer. I've found private lessons to be a good experience for my kids. The kids get out what they put in. If they and/or the coach are just going through the motions than obviously the only one benefiting is the person making money. My kids don't get private lessons unless they are putting in their own time. They are a privilege for them, something they have to earn. Because of that they work their butts off in private lessons so they don't loose that privilege.

Sure there are a lot of average coaches willing to take your $50-90 an hour to watch a kid that doesn't even really want to be there trudge around the cones, but there are also plenty of coaches that invest a lot of time in to planning their private lessons, go to games to see how the kid looks on the field to better adapt private lessons to their needs etc. You are the consumer, get what you pay for.

Comment

Lately I have been seeing in local fields a fair number of kids taking private lessons from supposed professional coaches . Just wondering what the benefits to it are ? Do you think those lessons could turn your kid into the next messi ? I have heard that kids on my sons team have been having private lessons and see absolutely no improvements . Anyone (other then coaches of course lol) be able to show me what the benefits of it are ?
                        If you have kids, please take them out of soccer and invest the money in something else. You'll be happier, your kids will be happier, and we will be happier for not having to read passive aggressive questions like this.

Lets break this down. We assume practice will make you better at something correct? And repeatedly practicing something will increase your ability to do what it is that your are practicing, correct?

If we take NPSL as an example. Teams like Seattle United West Blue practice two days a week for a total of three hours for the week. The next tier up, the B team in RCL practices 3 days a week for a total of 4.5 hours. If you are in NPSL and you want to move up, you need to find another day of quality practice. This is not "practice on your own" but a session that pushes the player to the edge of their abilities. So remember than the B team player may be doing the same thing as well. So you need to really add two hours of practice a week to move up from NPSL to RCL.

From our own experience, I can easily break down hours like this:

Seattle United Select (NPSL) - 2 practices = 3 hours a week
                        Seattle United Tango (RCL 2 to 3) - 3 practices 4.5 hours a week and extra training = 5-6 hours a week
                        Seattle United Copa (RCL 1) - 3 practices 5-6 hours a week + extra training = 8-10 hours a week
                        Average HS player (Varsity) - 3-4 practices and two games a week = 8 hours a week
                        ECNL - 3 practices + outside training (weights, Toca, private) = 11 hours a week
                        DA - 4 Practices for 6+ hours, private/outside training = 12-14 hours a week

Pick a level. If you are the level below, you should be matching the training schedule of the team you want to be on.

My own opinion is that private training is more useful for the older players. So Freshman and up. Younger players would benefit more from group sessions with Coerver or Toca until they develop the skills needed to play the higher levels. Having a private trainer teach basic ball skills is quite expensive, and they would be better at helping an individual hone their current skills or develop a specific skill set.

Comment

While there may be a benefit for older kids or players working on a specific skill set, such as goal keeping, for most players I think it is a waste of money.

The biggest things most players need to improve are dribbling/first touch and understanding of how the game should be played. Most young players just need to touch the ball more. There are all kinds of could individual workouts you can find online, but really they just need to touch the ball more. Have balls all over the house and encourage them to dribble ( not kick) the ball everywhere they go. When out in the yard or at the park encourage them to juggle. If the kid doesn't have interest in doing these things outside of practice, private lessons probably isn't gonna do much.

There are a lot of ways to help spark there interest in how the game should be played. having them watch EPL games on the weekends is great, but some kids might not be interested right away. While I don't think video games should be a huge part of a kids life, FIFA will not only help them visualize some aspects of the game, it will get them to know certain pro players and increase their desire to watch games. Most kids in The US watch a healthy amount of NBA/College basketball, NFL, etc, but rarely watch soccer outside the level they play. Seeing how it should be played at the highest level will help improve their awareness on the field. Also, watching youtube highlights is great. They get to see the best players execute awesome moves, and they will naturally want to try it on their own.

While people can spend their money anyway they want, most youth players will benefit far more from the things they can do on their own at home.

Comment

If you have kids, please take them out of soccer and invest the money in something else. You'll be happier, your kids will be happier, and we will be happier for not having to read passive aggressive questions like this.

Lets break this down. We assume practice will make you better at something correct? And repeatedly practicing something will increase your ability to do what it is that your are practicing, correct?

If we take NPSL as an example. Teams like Seattle United West Blue practice two days a week for a total of three hours for the week. The next tier up, the B team in RCL practices 3 days a week for a total of 4.5 hours. If you are in NPSL and you want to move up, you need to find another day of quality practice. This is not "practice on your own" but a session that pushes the player to the edge of their abilities. So remember than the B team player may be doing the same thing as well. So you need to really add two hours of practice a week to move up from NPSL to RCL.

From our own experience, I can easily break down hours like this:

Seattle United Select (NPSL) - 2 practices = 3 hours a week
                            Seattle United Tango (RCL 2 to 3) - 3 practices 4.5 hours a week and extra training = 5-6 hours a week
                            Seattle United Copa (RCL 1) - 3 practices 5-6 hours a week + extra training = 8-10 hours a week
                            Average HS player (Varsity) - 3-4 practices and two games a week = 8 hours a week
                            ECNL - 3 practices + outside training (weights, Toca, private) = 11 hours a week
                            DA - 4 Practices for 6+ hours, private/outside training = 12-14 hours a week

Pick a level. If you are the level below, you should be matching the training schedule of the team you want to be on.

My own opinion is that private training is more useful for the older players. So Freshman and up. Younger players would benefit more from group sessions with Coerver or Toca until they develop the skills needed to play the higher levels. Having a private trainer teach basic ball skills is quite expensive, and they would be better at helping an individual hone their current skills or develop a specific skill set.

Ahhhhh a coach has spoken ! Please take your kids out of soccer if you don’t see the value in private lessons ? What sort of crap is that ? I have played for 30 years and watched the vast amount of these private coaches and for the most part they are garbage . Going through the motions doing the same lesson to different kids not looking and what they need to improve on but just getting that hour in . Do your research when looking for a coach . If they say they have played at a certain level ask them for proof . Don’t just believe that they played for some
                            Academy in Spain or some high level college here . Most struggle to do what they are asking your kid to do .

Comment

While there may be a benefit for older kids or players working on a specific skill set, such as goal keeping, for most players I think it is a waste of money.

The biggest things most players need to improve are dribbling/first touch and understanding of how the game should be played. Most young players just need to touch the ball more. There are all kinds of could individual workouts you can find online, but really they just need to touch the ball more. Have balls all over the house and encourage them to dribble ( not kick) the ball everywhere they go. When out in the yard or at the park encourage them to juggle. If the kid doesn't have interest in doing these things outside of practice, private lessons probably isn't gonna do much.

There are a lot of ways to help spark there interest in how the game should be played. having them watch EPL games on the weekends is great, but some kids might not be interested right away. While I don't think video games should be a huge part of a kids life, FIFA will not only help them visualize some aspects of the game, it will get them to know certain pro players and increase their desire to watch games. Most kids in The US watch a healthy amount of NBA/College basketball, NFL, etc, but rarely watch soccer outside the level they play. Seeing how it should be played at the highest level will help improve their awareness on the field. Also, watching youtube highlights is great. They get to see the best players execute awesome moves, and they will naturally want to try it on their own.

While people can spend their money anyway they want, most youth players will benefit far more from the things they can do on their own at home.
                              Most academies now have realised that cone induced drills are a complete waste of time . Look at Liverpool and Ajax both argue against manipulated situations as it restricts freedom to think . Coaches obviously won’t tell you that as they would end up jobless .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X