Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester may have the right idea ?

Winchester may have the right idea in regards to youth soccer. They started an in town Club program called Sachem FC Soccer Club.
    So what if the teams never win the Blue Division in MAPLE.
    Winchester High School has always had a very strong girls team. Now the school will have this in town feeder system. Look at the U13 girls who are 7-0-2 and moving up a division. In a couple of years they will be in HS. The kids are playing together with school friends. They can ride there bikes to practice.
    Look for the boys HS program to get much stronger also.
    Yes Winchester! You may have the right idea!

Re: Winchester may have the right idea ?

Originally posted by multisport
    Winchester may have the right idea in regards to youth soccer. They started an in town Club program called Sachem FC Soccer Club.
    Winchester High School has always had a very strong girls team. Now the school will have this in town feeder system. Look at the U13 girls who are 7-0-2 and moving up a division. In a couple of years they will be in HS. The kids are playing together with school friends. They can ride there bikes to practice.
    Its not new. Mariner has been doing if for a while....Taunton....Sandwich

I agree though as I posted the differences between HS teams with Club players and those without. Other towns strongly encourage players into club (Dartmouth) as best they can.

Comment

One of the glaring issues with the FC Sachem example is that the high school coach is involved. Sometimes kids don't get a fair shake once they get to high school for judgments made early on and others ride on the abilities they had at 12, 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

I agree though as I posted the differences between HS teams with Club players and those without. Other towns strongly encourage players into club (Dartmouth) as best they can.
        How do you figure that Taunton has a town team playing in maple??

Comment

Yea but Winchester has been doing it successfully, Mariner for all its good intentions can't get out the way with their Coach's egos and coaches who know very little of the game. :(

Comment

Yea but Winchester has been doing it successfully, Mariner for all its good intentions can't get out the way with their Coach's egos and coaches who know very little of the game. :(

Don't get started and say well they have coaches from UMass Dartmouth--so what, they are not developing the kids. They stand on the sideline and scream out instructions on a constant basis and then yell at the officials when they are not yelling at their own players--Great Development!!

Comment

Is that a loophole in the MIAA rule about coachs' "out of season" contact with players?

That said, I think it is a bad rule, lack of preseason practice and conditioning contributes to injuries, IMHO...

Comment

Don't get started and say well they have coaches from UMass Dartmouth--so what, they are not developing the kids. They stand on the sideline and scream out instructions on a constant basis and then yell at the officials when they are not yelling at their own players--Great Development!!
                I didnt say UMASS-Dartmouth. The town teams from Dartmouth are very strong and they actively encourage club play - Nova, etc.

Comment

I think the next step is teaching the Sachems (14 girls) how to play soccer rather than swear, cleat, elbow etc. One of the coaches needs an attitude adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sachem
                    One of the glaring issues with the FC Sachem example is that the high school coach is involved. Sometimes kids don't get a fair shake once they get to high school for judgments made early on and others ride on the abilities they had at 12, 13.
                    Why on earth would anyone trust the judgment of a coach with over 500 career victories over a parent assessment of their kids ability. No coach that I know of thinks like that. You put the 11 players on the field that you think can give you the best chance of winning. What a player did or did not do as a U10 could not be less relevant.

Comment

Is that a loophole in the MIAA rule about coachs' "out of season" contact with players?

That said, I think it is a bad rule, lack of preseason practice and conditioning contributes to injuries, IMHO...
                      Players must be "candidates" to fall under the exlusion. For example a U14 team comprised of seven 8th graders and eight 7th graders would not be a violation. Rob Gonnom has been training prospective players for years in the N'Port town soccer program.

FYI - I reffed a game yesterday with N'Port U14's. There must be something in the water there. At least 4 of the players were 5'6" or better. Very disciplined and talented team. Coaches let the players play. Zero sideline coaching other than to instruct them a couple times to work on passing when they went up 4-0 over a younger team that could not match up. It easy to see why they have success at the HS level. Good town programs result in good HS programs. Clubs also benefit from this as well for those players who choose to move outside of the town programs at older ages. From what I saw yesterday Newburyport has a fresh crop of a half dozen or so Freshman next year that will be impact players as they move through HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo
                        Why on earth would anyone trust the judgment of a coach with over 500 career victories over a parent assessment of their kids ability.
                        Because in this town, where a seventh-grade field trip to see Stoneham Theatre’s stage production of “Miracle on 34th Streetâ€￾ was cancelled because of “the objectionable nature of the contentâ€￾, a single parent can control the entire school.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo
                          Why on earth would anyone trust the judgment of a coach with over 500 career victories over a parent assessment of their kids ability.
                          Because in this town, where a seventh-grade field trip to see Stoneham Theatre’s stage production of “Miracle on 34th Streetâ€￾ was cancelled because of “the objectionable nature of the contentâ€￾, a single parent can control the entire school.
                          Winchester has a history of fractured philosophies for youth soccer. I believe that this led to there being two seperate town leagues. I also know that they have on occassion fielded town teams that play in MAPLE. Arlington also has two town leagues for the same reason.

Comment

[
                            Winchester has a history of fractured philosophies for youth soccer. I believe that this led to there being two seperate town leagues. I also know that they have on occassion fielded town teams that play in MAPLE. Arlington also has two town leagues for the same reason.[/quote]

Arlington no longer has two soccer leagues. It turns out the person who started the second league, folded it about two years ago and is now the assistant high school coach in Winchester!

Comment

Originally posted by Guestl
                              [
                              Winchester has a history of fractured philosophies for youth soccer. I believe that this led to there being two seperate town leagues. I also know that they have on occassion fielded town teams that play in MAPLE. Arlington also has two town leagues for the same reason.
                              Arlington no longer has two soccer leagues. It turns out the person who started the second league, folded it about two years ago and is now the assistant high school coach in Winchester![/quote]

As ironic as a black fly in your chardonnay.........

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X